Just Another Lame 2J Swap

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
tyang82;1812373 said:
Hehe, looks like I might just get to see your lame 2j swap in action
We will definitely be making some trips out that way this summer. Do you ever go to Automotion in the Dells?

GrimJack;1812458 said:
So... how close was your initial costs estimate? Did you leave anything out? :)
haha i estimated about a thousand low. Originally I wasn't going to do anything with the heads but I got greedy and did it. I also didn't account for a new water pump, ls400 fan clutch, or timing belt. I'm sure there will be even more...

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nice build OP! It's obvious you're not messing around.

Madison isn't too far from eastern Iowa! I am gonna be eager to put miles on my car this summer!! Subscribed for sure.

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You used the thread I wrote and forgot the water pump and timing belt! :nono

Thats not bad, it's only a thousand bucks, I am approaching to be 10K over, at 8K over right now, how you ask? Simple. Planned for an OEM 1JZ rebuild as I bought it blown and I went all out from internals to aftermarket parts. PM me if you want to see my Excel sheet. I actually have it on my phone and update it with every part I buy. Yeap, if I buy a simple piece of hose, it gets added there. Trust me, it helps when you want to insure your car and knowing how much you put in. I haven't even done paint, suspension or tuning yet. :rant:

A tip for you, are you going to stick with a stock radiator? If so, the LS400 will be okay, otherwise, get the GE setup I listed in the thread as that will work with a Koyo.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I appreciate the tips, I am not going to use the stock radiator, I will look at your thread for the info. If it's an issue I will just keep the stock one, mine works fine. The water pump issue I found out through Aaron before your thread was up :( I'm sure there will be more things that come up as I go along.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have almost every issue covered in there, even ones that are not found easily on Google and everything that could be elaborated on, was elaborated on. :)

Another issue is going to be the A/C which is covered in the thread. The power steering is a simple fix, just a line from Aaron. I added an external cooler about the size of a composition notebook, you know, the black and white ones we used in elementary school. Those are all the issues I can see so far and they are covered. Have you checked the clearance on the intake manifold, I know they have some interference on the brake booster.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I haven't gotten the motor in the car yet, that's next week. Then I will know for sure where fitment issues are going to be. I know I have to move my fuse box and relocate my battery, I can't imagine the intake hitting the brake booster but I'll find out for sure soon haha. I still have my fuel system and harness/ECU/tuning left and that is half the budget. View attachment supra budget for forum.xls

I tried attaching my budget, not sure if it will work.

gonzy tunning

Dec 6, 2006
new jersey
I'm going to need a transmission too so I found a good R154 with a JZ bellhousing and flywheel.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The kitchen counter is as good a place as any to work on it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I got it all torn down and in the vice and decided that since it was out I would take a shot at rebuilding it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I ordered almost every single piece and part you can get for this thing, all the Marlin Crawler shit and I replaced 2nd and 3rd gear too because gears are cheap so fuck it, might as well.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Billet shift fork installed
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Billet bearing retainer on. I had to grind down the top two bolts that came with it or the case wouldn't seal because it was hitting the reverse lock out post inside the case.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

All done. That wasn't too bad.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

great build here
i would love to learn how to rebuild r154 looks to complicated

good luck on ur build man

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It's definitely not a job for someone without a basic understand of mechanics, but if you have a couple different sized pullers, the tsrm and a shop press it's definitely doable. The detent ball and pill system took awhile to figure out. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
^+1

Used a 12 ton press and had to use harbor freight pullers to get the gears off.

Had an issue with the detents but the EPC in the TSRM helped with that.

Trust me, after a rebuilt gearbox, you will be shifting gears with a simple finger.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Congrats on getting it ton with a 12 ton! We pushed the 20 ton press to it's limits on a couple of gears, nothing a little heat couldn't fix. I'm glad to hear that the new pieces and rebuild will get it shifting smooth. It feels a lot better already with it still sitting on the floor.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I got some more work done today and updated new pics in the original post. Next up, finish buttoning up the motor, getting the oil pan swapped out and mounting the trans.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice.

Are you going to replace those Phillips head screws with nice 10MM ones? You might want to replace the O-rings for the oil cooler. The full set cost less than 20 bucks from Curt at Elmhurst. It's annoying to do in the car and while your at it, the coolant lines would be good to.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
IBoughtASupra;1816830 said:
Nice.

Are you going to replace those Phillips head screws with nice 10MM ones? You might want to replace the O-rings for the oil cooler. The full set cost less than 20 bucks from Curt at Elmhurst. It's annoying to do in the car and while your at it, the coolant lines would be good to.

The ones in the cam gears? Probably not, as long as there strong enough I will leave them. I'm going to run the cover so there won't be any need to make it look fancy. That's a good call on the oil cooler rings. That shit would be a pain in the ass in the car. I think I'll do that, and I still need to get those lock washers for the mount brackets!

Moy;1816983 said:
Holy shit so about 3k for a basic 2jzgte swap... jeeze! So much for those hopes and dreams haha

Haha yeah I'd say closer to 4k for the swap if you are going to run stock twins and stock fuel system. It only goes up from there. I will probably be in to it about 16k when I'm done and that doesn't count paint or wheels and tires.

Also I put up a new pic.