just a quick question concerning pricing things..

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Right now any money is better than no money. Now I just need the money more than anything, no matter how much I love this car. On the bright side, I have an interview on Monday at 4.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
3p141592654;1857592 said:
investment products: Are not fdic insured, may lose value, are not bank guaranteed.

That's true... if you're investing in anything that's backed by "money". Investing in ACTUAL gold and silver (not bonds or certificates) are not like investing in stocks or bonds.

Example... Say you were alive back in 1950 and you put a $5 bill and $5 worth of gold bullion (1/7oz back then) away in a safe. Fast forward to 2011. The $5 bill is worth $5 (which is a large loss since it should be worth $46 after considering the inflation rate). The 1/7oz of gold? It's now worth $215. Not only did the gold beat inflation, it actually went up in value. If the economy suffered a collapse and money was worth even less... this has no effect on gold since the conversion rate changes. It will always hold it's value. Silver, platinum and several other precious metals follow the same rules. Even if we all were bombed back to the stone age, gold was worth a lot back then too.

OP: Good luck with your interview.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
right now any money is better than no money. now i just really need the money more than i "need" the car. i don't NEED this car, and like you guys have all said, probably better to cut my losses now, and wait till i have an education and am financially stable to start wanting such a delicate car.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
This thread is the depressing truth of trying to maintain a MkIII, especially a 7M. Many are lured in by the low initial cost, then realize that it will be double that just to keep it on the road. I was in a similar situation: bought mine at 15 years old for $2600, and over the next few months, less than $1k in mods. At the time, I wasnt making more than minimum wage as a teenager fresh in the work force; and with the economy collapsing and family health problems, I fortunately did the smart thing and bought a reliable daily driver that gets good mileage.

Long story short, I picked up a 93 Miata. I am now 23, still in school because of aforementioned problems, and still have the Miata and fortunately my first Supra, though I still havent spent much on it yet. When Tissimo (I believe that's his username) said "trying to keep a MkIII running in college is a big mistake", I took that advice. As much as I have been desperately missing absolutely everything about that car over the past few years, I could not afford it, and fortunately still dont have any loans to my name. Only now am I at a point where I feel comfortable enough to be able to maintain my car, even if it means just enough to keep it road worthy, and that process still wont start for another month or two.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
And the Miata? Probably still running around just find I would suspect. I had a 94, was a good car for the 3-4 months I had it before I traded it in for the 2000.

I still maintain that they are a perfect daily driver for 90% of the people out there, or at least on here.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Miata is still my DD of course. I drive it at least 140 miles a weekend or so. I changed the oil last year some time, but otherwise I did most of the maintenance when I bought the car and havent done too much to it in 2-3 years. The Miata really is the best British roadster ever made! :p

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
No, that's the joke. It's a modern "British roadster" in that it is a tiny, light chassis that's incredibly fun to drive, handles incredibly well, and has only just enough power. It has pretty much all of the aspects of one, except the reliability is the exact opposite.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
destrux;1859047 said:
That's true... if you're investing in anything that's backed by "money". Investing in ACTUAL gold and silver (not bonds or certificates) are not like investing in stocks or bonds

I've got two words for you, "Silver Thursday".

and if you bought gold a year ago you are now -18% in the hole.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Like others have said, I'd focus on life before a project. No car is better than a money pit. Sell it, save the money. Get another one later. They're always around.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p141592654;1859518 said:
I've got two words for you, "Silver Thursday".

and if you bought gold a year ago you are now -18% in the hole.
Guess it all depends on when you buy, and when you sell. Thanks for the history lesson 3p, I was unaware of that happening. Bit before my time though...

Still, my roll of silver dollars is probably worth more as a mineral than the face value is ever likely to be again.

akito;1859613 said:
Like others have said, I'd focus on life before a project. No car is better than a money pit. Sell it, save the money. Get another one later. They're always around.
I agree with this sentiment. Like I said before, if you have to have a car to get around, and prefer one that is fun on a budget, you really can't beat the Miata. Get a Supra when you're more financially stable, and you won't resent the car like so many prospective owners over the years who got in too far over their heads. ;)

Besides, cool as these cars are, I don't ever see them turning into the late 60's/early 70's American muscle cars, market wise.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
te72;1859701 said:
Besides, cool as these cars are, I don't ever see them turning into the late 60's/early 70's American muscle cars, market wise.

Wow Brad, screw you! :p I'm remaining hopeful, and I think in good time they will have at least a slightly higher status. Everyone nowadays grew up with American muscle when the best you could get from Toyota was a Mustang ripoff making just enough power to legally be on an interstate. Give it time and I'm sure we might see some more recognition.

If nothing else, at least my Miata will be worth money haha.

A car is the second biggest investment during your life, and definitely one of the worst. Unless you can reliably flip cars, you really cant gain any money by buying one.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You may be right, it is hard to say. My dad bought a 1970 LS6 Chevelle with the 4 speed Muncie in it back in 1980, for all of about $800. Now, that car is worth about 50x that to many people, so the Supra's day MIGHT come eventually.

That said, I prefer the first gen Celica to the Mustang that inspired it. Not every 50 year old guy and 16 year old girl want a Celica. :p

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Those cars are already impossible to get a hold of, or if you do, you're likely looking at 5 digits. I absolutely love the body style and really really want one someday...by the time I can afford them, they will have skyrocketed in price surely

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chevelles or Celicas? The market on a good Celica (rust free, good luck finding one!) seems to be anywhere from 3k to 10k, some lower, some higher to reflect condition.

As for the Chevelles, I'm sure we've seen the market peak on those. I doubt you'll see those as 6 digit cars anymore, the guys who regretted ruining the one they had as a teenager have already bought a better one with all the money they've made as an adult. Time will tell though...

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thats odd, it looks like my 72 and 73 celicas (other than the hood and engine).. I thought the 77's were longer hatches..
Extremely nice find, it looks complete. man.. the dreams that inspires.. lol