Joinin USAF

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
My waist is at 34". My BMI came back at 18% so I'm cleared to enter I just really got to work on my running. Push-up and sit-up I'm fine. Whats this "bike" you guys keep talkin about??

Titus

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
AF1JZ;911674 said:
I guess I should rephrase that....It's going to get harder for the overweight non running foo's. Also, 74.99 and below is now a poor. The AF got rid of the marginal score. From what I hear, coming soon it is going to be a poor at 79.99 and below.

Fortunately, I only have about 6 months left in the AF if I don't reenlist.

Yea, F-you ;) My waist is what makes it hard for me. I guess it's good that I'm a good runner to be able to make up my waist points.

I have to tell you, as bad as I wanted to get a retirement check in my late 30's/early 40's, and be free to get another job, getting out has done wonders for my morale, technical prowess and life in general. There are very few things that I miss about the military.
If you have the desire to get out, at all, seriously think about it. How many in so far? Do you have kids? Do you want any/more? Any significant debt? Do you have a skill that is very marketable? Do you have some money saved? Weigh them and see if it's right for you to get out.

I was a 2A1x1 [Sensors], then combined with Comm/Nav to be 2A5x3a, and an E-5 with 8+ years in. I now make 2x what I made in the AF, working less/same hours [depending on the week] and the amount of stress and BS is almost non-existent. To top it off, I really like my job. It's not perfect, but it's rare that I dread, or don't want to go to work.
Really, if the housing market was better/cheaper, there were less illegals and less meth trafficking in this area, I would stay. It's going to be difficult for me to find a job that treats me better than this.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
xxxotiknightz;911771 said:
My waist is at 34". My BMI came back at 18% so I'm cleared to enter I just really got to work on my running. Push-up and sit-up I'm fine. Whats this "bike" you guys keep talkin about??

Titus

Don't worry about it - chances are, they won't have you do it.

They monitored your heart while you pedaled [at the same rate the whole time] from resting heart rate, increased resistance until you got up to your target heart rate, kept you there for a little bit, then let all load off the bike and had you pedal at the same rate with no resistance. From there, I think what they did was measure how long it took for your heart to get back down below a certain rate, and that would somehow calculate your "vo2". It was BS - smokers and the well-caffeinated apparently had an advantage of some sort, while I knew some people in very good shape who could fail.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sub 12 min 1.5???

Isn't that a tad slow? Last time I did a 1.5 i managed a sub 10 min. Of course I am in better shape now than I ever was in the Air Force though!

Cycling 50 miles on real road terrain tends to do that though!

mnsupraboy

Apr 25, 2008
Rochester
xxxotiknightz;834222 said:
Well, I've decided after several months of no success in finding a good job here in TN that it's time for my true calling. As of the first of the year I will be getting ready to ship out to basic for United States Air Force. I will be joining as a PFC and working as a Jet engine mechanic. I've got to lose some weight first cause the my rec. says I'm kinda heavy. (fat) So time to crash diet and run my ass off. But I'll stay in the supra ring, I just may be incommunicato for a little while.

not a bad choice! i am still debating joining, i got an 83 on the ASVAB and i want to do that same thing! i love mechanics... im just nervous i guess. thats the only thing holding me back :(

but the benefits are hella tight. paid colledge, live on base for free (or around for a reduced rate) excelent retirment after 20 years....

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
mnsupraboy;1059136 said:
not a bad choice! i am still debating joining, i got an 83 on the ASVAB and i want to do that same thing! i love mechanics... im just nervous i guess. thats the only thing holding me back :(

but the benefits are hella tight. paid colledge, live on base for free (or around for a reduced rate) excelent retirment after 20 years....

Check out military.com and the info on there. I was nervous about it as well, but after weighing the benifits it was the best choice for me. Just be careful when you talk to the recruiter, and make sure to get any promises in writing.

ForcedTorque;1059153 said:
Good Luck! And check in whenever you get a chance. You won't be forgotten.

Thanks. I'll be checkin in from time to time. I'll just have to find some supra guys close to my new home.

Titus

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
this is a great thread. im 17 and a senior in high school, and i've made my decision of joing the usaf. as a matter of fact i have to loose weight too! i want to go officer and eventually become a fighter pilot. but from what i've heard its not easy and you have to choose the right route to get that slot. i've been in jrotc now for 3 yrs and i heard thats all thats required to join as a AFC. gotta loose the wieght though. im about 5 9" 210lbs. massive love handles, thats gonna be a bitch to get rid of. i used to play soccer and we would condition before season and run like 4 + miles daily, thats gonna be fun to do again :).

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Well, you basically wanting to do what I am. Yes jrotc does get you the rank of AFC, but make sure it says it in all your paperwork or they will screw you so fast it'll make your head spin.What is your max weight for your height? You may want to look into BMI instead of weight to get in. You BF% has to be below 20% to get in.

Titus

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
last time i checked i think it was at 17% but that was a couple years ago and i've changed physically since then , got taller gained wieght but my body still looks the same. i guess the growing taller balances out the extra wieght. i took a voluntary asvab test they had at my school my junior year just to see where i stood at and i christmas treed alot of it but i still scored a 47. i think the recruiter said you need a 36 for the air force. good thing i have a whole year to improve and really get familiar on what im about to face. you ever watch those basic training videos on youtube, i wonder if its really like that.

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
I got a 92 on the asvab and it really opens up alot of job. Plus it's really easy. Most of the videos you see om you tube are marines and shit.The Air Force basic is alot of classroom time. You have one week in the field, it called warrior week. Just keep in mind that the Air Force is going to be really picky cause they can. And put forth a real effort when you take the test again.

Titus

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
xxxotiknightz;1058604 said:
Well, it finally happened. After a long time and alot of paper work I've finally gotten DEPed in and I'm waiting to ship.

Titus
Congrats Titus on getting on the Delayed Enlistment. I was on the DEP for 7 months. But, I chose my date of entry. That's why I was on the DEP for so long.

mnsupraboy;1059136 said:

I've been doing aircraft maintenance for almost 8 years and it is a lot of fun. As for living off base, it isn't a reduced rate. They just give you a decent chunk of change for housing allowance. Only downfall about moving offbase is you either have to be a SrA (Senior Airman/E-4) or get married.

wchico15;1061074 said:
this is a great thread. im 17 and a senior in high school, and i've made my decision of joing the usaf. as a matter of fact i have to loose weight too! i want to go officer and eventually become a fighter pilot. but from what i've heard its not easy and you have to choose the right route to get that slot. i've been in jrotc now for 3 yrs and i heard thats all thats required to join as a AFC. gotta loose the wieght though. im about 5 9" 210lbs. massive love handles, thats gonna be a bitch to get rid of. i used to play soccer and we would condition before season and run like 4 + miles daily, thats gonna be fun to do again :).
It's gonna take a little while to become an officer if you chose to be enlisted. You have to finish all your training and be on station for quite a while before you are even allowed to start your schooling. But, if that is what you want to do, stick with it and don't give up.

xxxotiknightz;1061314 said:
Well, you basically wanting to do what I am. Yes jrotc does get you the rank of AFC,
It's A1C (Airman First Class) ;)

Today I just started outprocessing the Air Force. My last day is going to be the 7th of August. I will have a total of 8 years active duty and obtained the rank of Staff Sergeant/E-5. I'm pretty happy with my time in the Air Force. Didn't get into any trouble, earned a lot of decorations, and got the best discipline I could have ever wished for. My only complain is with myself and not taking advantage of the free school. If I could go in the past, I would do my schooling. I'd have my degree by now.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pretty sure you still get the GI bill ;)
There's some nice improvements in the works (soon to be implemented) too!

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
do you get any housing benefits or whatever if you are just reserve? I was thinking of the army or AF reserve. I too would have to cut a bunch of weight but im already on an awesome MMA training diet and workout plan (prob most hardcore conditioning there is!) And how hard is it to get a job as a pilot out of the air force? Like a rotary aircraft aviator! haha

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
jdub;1061972 said:
Pretty sure you still get the GI bill ;)
There's some nice improvements in the works (soon to be implemented) too!

Last I heard they were extending the GI Bill to cover vets as well now.

I don't think you get the houseing allowance as a reservist. But I'm not sure. As for being a pilot afterwards, most companies I've talked to prefer to take military pilots over civilian. I have a friend at UPS that says to be a top level pilot there you have to have prior military service.

Titus

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
I totally mis-worded my post haha. I didnt mean being a pilot after the AF, I mean how hard is it to get the pilot job in the other branches, Like flying helicopters for the army. But that is good info i always assumed most airline pilots were from military service. My uncle-in-law sorta(no knot tying yet) was a pilot and worked his way up as a civilian. He said it would be much easier to go through the military

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'm a military trained pilot (still in the USAFR) working for the airlines. The civilian guys have the advantage of getting hired earlier (age wise)...pilot seniority is everything in the airline game...they will still be young enough to attain the top tier as Captain on the wide-body equipment. The disadvantage is you pay for all your pilot ratings...it gets very expensive. A military pilot owes 10 years after pilot training, you are older when you get hired by the airlines...the advantage here is you get the best training available, but you also get to get shot at ;)

The bottom line is you pay your dues one way or the other.

A reservist does not get a housing allowance unless put on orders for extended active duty.