Jimi's build update

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
*EDIT* Here is a run down for the pics in this thread:

This page- FFIM, engine, exhaust, gauges.....
Page 3 (post #29)- More pics and info on the radiator
Page 7 (post #69)- Info and pics about the air box
Page 18 (post #174)- First pics of the exterior [before suspention and rims]
Page 19 (post #189)- Close up pics of the "vents"
Page 21 (post #208)- Fab up of the cat back
Page 22 (post #218)- Tein SS's
Page 23 (post #221 & 224)- A1 arms, car lowered
Page 24 (post #231)- Rims mounted
Page 27 (post #270)- HKS BOV and new Bumper
Page 30 (post #291)- A step back in time when the build actually started. Aluminum flywheel, RPS clutch, rebuilt turbo, new fuel line setup, FFIM fab up, start of the down pipe, 70mm TB, EGT install.
Page 31 (post #301)- Maft Pro (with speed density and boost control), Aeromotive AFPR, LIPP AFPR Install Kit, FP Gauge (for under the hood), Walbro 255, RC 550 Injectors & Clips
Page 34 (post #335-336)- Modded 00-03 Celica steering wheel
Page 36 (post #352)- New seats (Corbeau GTS II), Wale-tail mounted, Steering wheel installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok finally a build update for the SM crew. If you didn't see my last updates they can be found here: Previous updates

Any how, on with the show.
I got the DP done, w/electric dump installed. You can see in one of the pics how nicely it tucks under the car, (the turn down was not installed in the pic, it does stick down further than the pipe).

The heat shield for the DP is made from a 4", 90* aluminum IC elbow. The heat shield on the manifold is a sheet of aluminum that was bead rolled. (the stock manifold shield is also underneath).

I fabbed up my own air box out of sheets of ABS w/ a LEXAN lid. (I'm running an APEXI filter). The AFM to turbo pipe is a 3", 45* aluminum elbow. So the power steering reservoir was moved (its the aluminum bottle closest to the fender, the other one is the coolant over flow).

The radiator is an aluminum duel 1" core "mustang" radiator. The fan is a [strike]16" Perma-Cool High Performance[/strike] Electric Fan (is now a black magic fan). It takes some fab work to make it all fit, It's not a drop in, factory mounts had to be cut off and new ones fabbed up. The aluminum sheet on top is part of the upper tie down, there is an aluminum "L" channel under it to help. The stock T-stat housing was rotated to accommodate (I wanted that way, hence the "mustang" style rad). Two air bleeding spots were implemented to help get all the air out. One is a "system flush" adapter installed on the hose leading to the heater core valve. The second is located at the turbo coolant line, it is a 3 way adapter ( barb end + barb end + NPT) On the NPT, a petcock was installed. So all the high points of the system can be "burped".

The IC is a SPEARCO bar and plate, with custom cast end tanks welded on. CORE size is 23 x 12 x 3. All IC pipes are 2.5". The length including couplers, along the center line: hot side is 36", cold side is 35". T-bolts were the clamp of choice.

The instrument cluster was modified to accommodate the Auto Meter gauges, Sorry I did not take pics of the process. Also the ash tray was removed and made way for even more gauges. The switch controls the electric dump.

I got the alternator bracket done. And it totally replaces the stock one.

Well it's late, so thats all I can think of at the moment, there is a lot more to do to her. But at least she is breathing........

p112636_1.jpg

p112636_2.jpg

p112636_3.jpg

p112636_4.jpg

Down pipe tucked, no lower than frame rail, except for the bracket.....
p112636_5.jpg

p112636_6.jpg

p112636_7.jpg

p112636_8.jpg

p112636_9.jpg

p112636_10.jpg

p112636_11.jpg

p112636_12.jpg

p112636_13.jpg

p112636_14.jpg

MORE>>>>>

Last edited:

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Jun 30, 2005
Raleigh, NC
All I have to say is WOW. No! wait thats not true. Damn.

You need to do a write up on the heat shield for the Air filter. Thats too sweet.

Last edited:

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
lookin great. What did you use to paint you gauge needles red. Will they still iluminate at night? I want to do the same since the amber in fugly.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks guys, I'll try to put something together for info on the air box.
As far as the needles, I CAREFULLY removed them, and the stock amber color was scraped off with an Xacto blade, and then I repainted them red. Yep, they illuminate at night, just don't paint the entire needle, just the part that had the stock paint.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
looks good man.
is that a ford professional products power tbody?
one thing i might change would be the breathers on the valve covers. that is gonna leave an oil mist on your motor and components. might consider making a catch can.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
F'n top notch fabrication there! I love that air box, the ffi, the dp, everything is very clean, nice and tiddy! A++++

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
jimi87-t said:
^^Thanks, I'm in Arlington TX also.

no kidding, where in arlington are u?? im from over round Green Oaks and Bowen, id love to come see that in person some time...its bad ass

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks a lot guys,

Yes, that is a professional products power TB for a 5.0 stang (70mm), more info on that can be found in my past updates. Yeah, I'm planning on getting a catch can, I just havent got around to getting one yet, and finding a "clean" place to install it.

Local note, We should all set up a meet,

Last edited:

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Jun 30, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Man I can't stop looking at your engine bay.

When I do my rebuild, if I can get it to looking as half as professional as yours, rons , and some other guys on this forum I will be very happy.

Okay enough kissing of the asses, lol

What would you say was the most difficult part of your rebuild?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Great job so far, but the down pipe needs a little work. Great idea, wrong fabrication. The 90 exit on the cutout will "possbily" do nothing more in helping your exhaust than making alot of noise.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Hey, thanks again guys,

What would you say was the most difficult part of your rebuild?

I would have to say the most difficult part so far, was actually the gauge cluster install,( of all things!). The Auto Meter gauges need a lot of space behind them, so I ended up having to try installing the cluster 3-4 times until it all fit. While at the same time not trying to pinch any of the lines feeding the gauges. Seems weird that it would the most difficult part, but it was more frustrating than any thing else.

The 90 exit on the cutout will "possbily" do nothing more in helping your exhaust than making alot of noise.

I can see why you would say that, But the main thing a cut out does is to relieve back pressure and not to flow the entire exhaust. So any (or most) of the added restriction from the CAT and muffler, are relieved out of the cut out (controlled exhaust leak). Yes, it would flow more if it were in the same line as the down pipe, but there is no easy way to do that with out F'n up the "normal" flow and it is not necessary. Also, seeing as how I will be running most of the time with the dump closed, the arrangement was set up to be more beneficial for closed. And there is not enough space for the electric dump to run it at a 45* off the pipe.

I was originally going to put it at the last bend pointing down(the 45* after the SS flex), and that would have put it in line with the flow, but again, there was not enough space for the electric valve. And it would have ended up messing up the "closed" flow.

So basically, it was the last resort to put it where it is. As to allow the electric valve to clear, can't hang down under the car (the car will be lowered), and not to F-up normal (closed) flow.

Read this guys set up, he ran into some of the same problems with his vet:Vet dump
Original Idea
Cutout2_resize.jpg

Plan "B"
Cutouts_Installed_resize.jpg

Last edited:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Is this the best engine bay ever shown on sm? Possibly. The entire thing is form only for function, nothing isn't made exactly the way it is so it does anything other than function. Sure some things are polished, but man, your work, and the pride you have poured into this project surely are showing, and everyone notices.
eric