JDM throttle body set up for 7m-gte from supracarparts.com

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
So I bought one of these a while ago. I like the concept, i like the response. The only problem is the throttle keeps sticking which i've never had a problem with the old linkage set up. On top of that don't buy one of these set ups expecting it to be polished like the picture they show. The one i got had cobwebs and it was dirty to the max. Nice little blue pulley though. In any case my question is has anyone bought one of these, and has the same sticky problem like i do?

-Steve Z P.S. If anyone wants pics of the set up in my car let me know.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Does it have an throttle stop? If you don't have a stop to keep it from completely closing, the throttle plate will wedge itself closed when you let off. The factory TB has such a stop, but if they changed out the bellcrank for (what I think is a generic) "blue pulley" you may have lost tat stop. Pics will help greatly : )

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
SUPRASTEVE;1650518 said:
So I bought one of these a while ago. I like the concept, i like the response. The only problem is the throttle keeps sticking which i've never had a problem with the old linkage set up. On top of that don't buy one of these set ups expecting it to be polished like the picture they show. The one i got had cobwebs and it was dirty to the max. Nice little blue pulley though. In any case my question is has anyone bought one of these, and has the same sticky problem like i do?

-Steve Z P.S. If anyone wants pics of the set up in my car let me know.

Mine was shiney, no cobwebs, and clean, (but I didnt buy the JDM tb from them). All I bought from them was the throttle cable and a red billet pulley. I did experience the stickey problem.

Pics, please!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
p1651046_1.jpg

p1651046_2.jpg

p1651046_3.jpg

p1651046_4.jpg

when I turn the pulley with my hand I can feel a lil resistance. I think its the spring. If so anyone know a way to make that spring move freely?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

toyotanos;1650560 said:
Does it have an throttle stop? If you don't have a stop to keep it from completely closing, the throttle plate will wedge itself closed when you let off. The factory TB has such a stop, but if they changed out the bellcrank for (what I think is a generic) "blue pulley" you may have lost tat stop. Pics will help greatly : )

I can't really get a good picture of the lil cusion thing that the lil pulley sits on. The throttle stop I mean. But It does have one and it works really fine. when I push it down it will go up slowly I am sure that is working properly.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Why buy anything? I used a JDM TB on my car for several years with nearly no modifications, stock bellcrank and all. You don't need a pretty, shiny blue wheel to make it work, just a N/A throttle cable.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
No, that little cusion thing is called a dashpot, and it is not a throttle stop. It is designed to gradually let the throttle plate come to its closed position on the actual throttle stop. When the engine runs at idle, the dashpot should not be touching the throttle linkage at all- vacuum should be pulling it away). What I suspect you feel is similar to that of a gun trigger's release feel- high initial effort, but once it pops it moves freely.

To be honest, I don't know if you can use that throttle bellcrank (blue pulley) and still have a proper throttle stop. One idea would be to delete the dashpot (not the best option, but a viable one) and then fab up a small plate that will bolt to the throttle body where the dashpot once did, but it now becomes a solid point that the adjustable screw can rest on for a super reliable closed-throttle position.

I will edit one of your pictures to show you what I mean. Gimme a few minutes..

Edit: here it is
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
To eliminate the linkage that sits over the valve covers is my guess, though I don't see why you'd need it for a JDM throttle body as they already eliminate that...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hvyman;1651164 said:
I do not get the point of this???

The throttle feel with all that extra linkage gone is much better, so long as you set it up properly.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
RazoE;1651297 said:
Any pics of yours, Shaeff?

Heh, somewhere. I haven't ran that setup in a long time, not to mention that I swapped to a FFIM and pulled the car off the road about five years ago. If you search my posts you might be able to find it. I'll do some poking around for pics, but I don't have long to look right now.

Edit: from five years ago, post #3:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?1111-Throttle-cable-upgrade&highlight=throttlebody

A few minutes with a drill and a welder could make a very, very clean bracket for installing that setup

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
nice, I've been wanting to switch to NA valve covers since I went with Lexus coilpacks, and got rid of cruise control, and I was wondering if there were any alternatives to using a Cressida linkage..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SUPRASTEVE;1652537 said:
Yeah FFIM for 7m is the best idea yet. So expensive and where would I get one. Also does it even pass california smog?

Only one that MIGHT pass smog was developed by suprasport. The intake doesn't have all the provisions it was supposed to have (EGR for starters). Not to mention suprasport's reviews...

SUPRASTEVE;1652537 said:
http://arizonaperformance.com/parts.html These guys have some cool stuff but ehhh.

arz is a vendor on here ;)

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Poodles;1652747 said:
Only one that MIGHT pass smog was developed by suprasport. The intake doesn't have all the provisions it was supposed to have (EGR for starters). Not to mention suprasport's reviews...

arz is a vendor on here ;)

HAHA that sucks! Well I think when I get a chance I'ma get rid of the 7m engine.