Japan for the week - what would you look for?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Like the title says, I'm heading to Japan next week. Leave on the 2nd and get back on the 11th.

I have a variety of things planned as far as site seeing (Tokyo Disneyland, fish market, Shibuya, sky tree, baseball)

Then there's also the Toyota nut in me which wants to find some cool parts (realizing that the car is 23 years old and this isn't going to be overly fruitful). On that list is: King Buyer, maybe the Toyota museum, and a few local used performance parts retailers.

Some things I would pick up if I came across them (that I've thought of)-
TRD MK3 strut tower bar
Mirrors - either bomex, or one of the other companies that made them
Adj control arms maybe...

What would you all look for? I have much of what I have wanted for my car, but there's always going to be something else to make it better or more unique, so I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts are.

Thanks
Kevin

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
whatever you end up doing please take a post pics! ive always wanted to go and do a trip like that.

jdm tails are top on my list with power folding mirrors taking 2nd and whatever just random cool hks/greddy/trd stuff i could get my hands on.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Carbon fiber rear side window louvers. Make up your own mold and you can sell 'em for profit!

Greddy Gracer rear wing. No one's making anything like them anymore, and they're the only decent wing I've ever seen on mk3's. Another in the "make your own mold" category!!

Look for "Mine's" ECUs for 7M, 1J, and 2J applications. These are starting to turn up everywhere and are supposed to be awesome.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
Drake69;1955504 said:
Look for "Mine's" ECUs for 7M, 1J, and 2J applications. These are starting to turn up everywhere and are supposed to be awesome.

^^^^this would actually be my #1 but id imagine near "impossibru" to find

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I just got back from Japan about 2 weeks ago, it was my first time going, it was awesome you will really enjoy it! I went to Tokyo (Shinagawa, Shinjuku, Mt Fuji etc), Nagoya, Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Osaka. In the Tokyo area, the highlights were the Tokyo tower, Sky Tree, and I really loved the Shinjuku night life. I went out on a Saturday evening and the place was BUZZING with people. Tons of lights, shops, and small restaurants. Had some weird fried kabbobs of pork and liver (not really sure what it was but it was great) with cold sake.
Tokyo Tower was cool, but Sky Tree was much more impressive. There is a small shopping area underneath, and the building is massive. I have seen the Burj Khalifa last year which is the tallest building in the world, and this thing was almost as impressive. Make sure to go close to evening so you can see the view during sunset, and you also get to see the Sky Tree all lit up when you leave.

Mt Fuji was so-so. This time of year you are most likely going to see the base of a mountain with a huge cloud covering most of it.

Nagoya is where Toyota city is located, which is why I went. I took a factory tour of the Tsutsumi assembly plant, it was really neat. They take you on a tour around the inside of the assembly plant. They also have a small museum at the main meeting area for the tour, where they then take you in a bus to the assembly plant. There was an LFA and an FT86 in the museum but don't expect to see a whole lot. Beware if you go here, Toyota city is far from the train station and nobody speaks English in the area, so get all your directions in written Japanese so you can get someone to point you in the right direction. You have to take a train all the way to the end and then a bus from there, we had a hard time and were almost late. Also if you want to do this tour you have to sign up online in advance. Worth it in my opinion.
Also saw the railway museum in Nagoya, was really cool to see the history of Japans train systems from the beginning all the way up to the Shinkansen (bullet trains) and future Maglev trains. Highly recommended. There are also two other Toyota Museums dedicated to the history and older stuff of Toytoa on the other side of town, though I didn't have time to go to either of them. Other than that Nagoya was an industrial, ugly, old and dirty place.

Saw the peace park in Hiroshima where a building directly below the epicenter of "Little Boy" was dropped and the entire city was decimated. The building is in shambles but still stands and is preserved as a remembrance. Very cool to see.
Kyoto had a lot of shrines and temples, nothing too new and different. The Kyoto station was the highlight of Kyoto for me. It is HUGE. Tons of shopping and tons of restaurants. There is even a "Ramen Alley" where I got to have my much desired taste of ramen. Tons of restaurants serving only ramen, it was really good. If you want this research the location because it is impossible to find unless you know where it is in the huge station. No english so choose your ramen at random lol.

Osaka was my second favorite area after Tokyo. Huge modern city. Half the city, and I say that without exaggeration is underground. There is a HUGE underground area in Osaka filled with shopping and food. Ninja Castle was another highlight. Coolest of all was the Umeda observation building in Osaka, it was the biggest highlight of the city. It is a really unique tall building with escalators that cross over from one side to the other with nothing below you at full height. Really great views from there as well. From the lookout, you can see a HUGE Ferris wheel, which I rode, and recommend you do if you are there. It is seriously gigantic and offers a great view of the city as you end up going higher up than most of the buildings. It is about a 10 minute or 15 minute ride in an air conditioned box. Not for the faint of heart but worth sucking it up if you don't like heights lol.

My biggest recommendation is to get specific directions from your hotel front desk every day before you head out. Have them write the directions in Japanese. There are a lot of English speakers at information desks at train stations and such but sometimes you wind up completely lost and nobody can help you as hard as they may try. You shouldn't have to worry much in Tokyo and such but smaller areas have less English speakers. At the very minimum know how to speak and pronounce your destination and they can say yes or no as to whether or not you are getting on the correct train. Most train stations have English and Japanese signs so it is not too difficult.
You mentioned the fish market. Unfortunately I fell sick on the day we were going to the fish market so I didn't get to check it out, though we did drive by it one day when they were closed. You have to go extremely early in the morning but should be quite fun.
Almost all the restaurants you go to will have a display case showcasing all the different food there, so even if you don't speak Japanese you can just point to what you want. The plastic food plates are actually quite comical.
Absolutely without a doubt find a place that sells real Kobe beef. If you are a meat lover, you must. We found some in a hotel restaurant in Osaka. We paid about $75 US for a cut that was maybe 6oz, but man it was the most tender piece of beef I have ever had. Definitely make sure you try this.
Also, if you don't know how to use chopsticks, make sure you learn, because I didn't see a fork the whole time I was there.

That was extremely lengthy but hopefully gives you some insight. I just got back so I am still pretty excited about it, it was a blast, you will have a good time for sure. It is fairly hot there right now, around 85 probably, but we did a lot of walking, just make sure you stay hydrated. For sure post some pics when you get back and let me know if there's anything I can guide you with.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Toyota or AbFlug Turbo A Ducts, anything Bomex, Kaminari body pieces, a rebuild kit for some Racing Gear JTC N1 coilovers so I can rebuild a set I can get locally for CHEAP (I'm not joking, I will genuinely pay you for this and shipping it PLEASE). I tried emailing Racing Gear to get them to rebuild the coils, but they wouldn't help me out as I live in North America.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, suprajztwenty, I have a FULL set of JDM TT-R Tail-lights that I just got. They're in decent shape. PM me if you're interested in buying :)

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks for the replies! Hadn't thought of getting a genuine A-duct (the one in my car isn't so it'd be a good switch). I may try to grab a few extra pieces, but obviously, this wasn't a 'business' type trip, so I don't want to get distracted trying to do an MK3 cash grab of parts. HKS TEMS although I don't need it, really would be good though just to bring some more to the US..

I'll look into the MINES ecu's as well. I'll be using a Power FC in my Supra for the now installed 1J vvti, but have a 2nd motor to put in a RA65 Celica Conv so a 2nd tuneable ECU would be sweet too.

CyFi6, thanks for the extra info. I have a good friend there that'll I'll be hanging with quite a bit, so I haven't been too concerned with language, although I am gonna put a translating app on my phone. I had thought to get a local cell, but after discussing with my buddy, figured that having access to wifi throughout the city would be sufficient. Although I'm not the biggest into beef/steak, I do plan on eating my weight in sushi :D

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
fine japanese girls to bang out :biglaugh: lol

but really thats cool you're going out there. i would like to make it over there some day. i agree on the looking for rare body parts. even just little things would be nice. i really like bubble markers. maybe see how their salvage yards opperate. it would be cool to dig around one if they work like they do over here. i bet theres some awesome stuff that could be found. either way though have fun!

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Greddy gracer spoiler!!! get this so it can be made into a mould you can't get this in north america. I might end up going hiro at this right because atleast I can get it shipped

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Kevin,

Good for you! I hope you have a blast in Japan!

Bring back small TRD items that you could easily buy and fit in your luggage, like 1J/2J oil caps and radiator caps. I would buy at least one of each from you.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
http://supras.org.nz/classified/forsale.php
Mate of mine has had this ecu for as long as I can remember, not sure if it's as "cool" as mines lol

MNBmk3T;1955527 said:
Also, suprajztwenty, I have a FULL set of JDM 89+ Tail-lights that I just got

Fixed Sorry bud turbo r means nothing when it comes to tails, they're just 89+ tails

Hope ya have fun Kevin, and seems like body parts are a requirement by the looks in this thread haha

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
suprra_girl;1956148 said:
http://supras.org.nz/classified/forsale.php
Mate of mine has had this ecu for as long as I can remember, not sure if it's as "cool" as mines lol

Fixed Sorry bud turbo r means nothing when it comes to tails, they're just 89+ tails

Hope ya have fun Kevin, and seems like body parts are a requirement by the looks in this thread haha

is that ecu 1500 us??? wholey shit, if so. i guess it takes a special breed to want one that bad.

nice tidbit on the tails, thanks. also on that topic, mnb- not at this time...im tapped out at the moment because my trans is being a whore

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks all! Leaving tomorrow at noon, so I'm getting pretty excited.

Been looking up the addresses for some random places like the TOM'S showroom just incase I have some extra time.

I'm really not sure how much of this I'll be able to do, but whenever I need an extra place to go, the list keeps growing.

Rodel- I think that's a good idea. Authentic JDM caps would be sweet as well to bring back.

Kevin