Jake's mkIII V8 killer

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
So starting a thread about my car a bit late. My name is Jake i am from Minnesota. A little background on me I am a Universal Technical Institute graduate having a 4.0 GPA, and taking the Toyota specially training. Now working at a Toyota dealer as a master certified technician (also certified in those damn hybrids:greddy2:) I have had Supras for 3 years now. On number 2. The first one was a 1986.5 tan auto, non-turbo, targa, w/ABS... there begins the story.

Driving home from a friends place coming around a corner hit the brake for a "T" in the road. ABS bleed solenoid opens up. Pedal drops to the floor, tried pumping it up a few times still nothing. Well here goes, try for the left turn (mind you i have crappy tires on the back) end up spinning out into a lake.:1zhelp: Luckily I was in a supra so i didnt roll when i hit the dirt otherwise I would be dead. Get out of my car and am up to my chest in water. Get it towed home try and dry it out best i can. Have it cranking over but no spark interior is all wet everything still works just no spark.

Well in the mean time I am looking around for another one hopefully turbo. One day I was looking on craigslist and see one. 1986.5 turbo, manual swap, non-targa, NON-ABS!.:love: Only thing is it had some front end damage. Hood, front right fender, front bumper, headlight all destroyed. Ran nice just needed body parts. Well it turns out it was even the same color that damn tan 2 tone as my first. While i was working the guy down on price I was saying where am I going to find parts for this car. After the keys and title were in my hand I informed the guy I had a parts car in the driveway:evil2:. This was about 2 years ago late January 2007.

So i spent the rest of the winter and spring getting the car ready to drive all of the body work fixed up. Doing some minor engine mods FPR, dampener eliminator, 255 walbro fuel pump, POS home made intercooler piping. Also cleaned up some of the mess with the tranny swap that the last owner had. also got all of the little things working. Drivers window with an intermittent problem due to the switch contacts not working right. Just had it prime and ready to rock.:naughty:

SO:
I think the Supra gods hate me with the next remark. First day I have it running and looking nice:icon_bigg I am coming back from the gas station, half mile from home my road and all. 50 mph speed limit doing about that, no really I was, I get T-boned by a dumb B**** in a Honda.:evil5: Pass rear quarter, bent my control arm. broke my rear wheel knuckle, blew my tire, took a 6 inch section out of my drilled and slotted rotors just like perforated paper, spun me into a light pole and smashed my rear bumper.:aigo: I was so SO SO pissed. We both were ok, but I was almost in tears looking at my second supra smashed up. There was $5,700 in damage to mine. just her front bumper was gone. She got a ticket for "failer to yield at a stop sign" and was at fault. My car was totaled out. Got a call from her insurance saying they will give me $2400 for the accident because that was what my car was worth and take the car. I asked what if i want to keep the car. Well then we will just take what the car is worth off of you cash return. $100 they said. I told them done.:icon_razz

I few weeks later still depressed about my 2 cars going to hell and dealing with stupid women I got pissed and said I am not sleeping til i drive my car again. I took all i needed off of the swamp buggie and put it on my turbo. Drove it that night. Ran great, drove ok. Took it to work the next day and aligned it and it was prime again. Well with a few extra dents in it.:3d_frown:

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1228792 said:
30+ years playing cars and I've never had a bleeder just "open" how does that happen? ;)

I wasnt sure myself until I had an avalon at work like a 98 or so, It had an intermittent abs light for a speed sensor. I stepped on the brakes kicked in the abs and there was nothing there 2 or 3 times. I had to stop with the parking brake. Once i had stopped i drove it and there was no problems at all. So that is my theory on how or why it happened. I could go out to the car right now and have a sky high brake pedal it is odd i know.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
upgradedsupra;1228986 said:
Welcome to the board.

This is a gallery section so get pics up please. ;)

Duane

give me a second. I just got photobucket I am uploading as i am typing this. how do you put the pics on the forum?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
scubajtw;1229002 said:
give me a second. I just got photobucket I am uploading as i am typing this. how do you put the pics on the forum?

If you are using PB it's easy.

Click on image code and by doing that it will be copied or if not, then right click to copy your image.

Example:

So you can see it, I took out part of the code. It's missing the [ in front of this code.

IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/upgradedsupra/icon_postwhore.gif[/IMG]

p1229006_1.gif

Duane

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
This was after I got it running ant together the first time... all but the front bumper. Still hadn't see the road yet... working out a few things still.

p1229502_1.jpg

p1229502_2.jpg

p1229502_3.jpg

This is me warming it up in the winter right outside its sleeping spot, the barn. After I was t-boned.

p1229502_4.jpg

p1229502_5.jpg

p1229502_6.jpg

p1229502_7.jpg

p1229502_8.jpg

p1229502_9.jpg

p1229502_10.jpg

p1229502_11.jpg

p1229502_12.jpg

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Welcome. You really have some bad supra luck.

I am in St.Cloud. I think you might need a bit more to take down some real v8s (ie aim high and take out some vettes!)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
scubajtw;1229000 said:
when i have my motor back in my car I will try anything once... why a v8 supra?

I put the V8 in my Supra because it was lighter than stock, aftermarket parts more attainable and cheaper, no more turbo and lots of low-rpm torque. Plus, at the point I was at with my 7M I was going to need a new turbo, fuel system, piggy back etc. It probably cost me close to the same to put the V8 in that it would have cost me to upgrade my 7M.

By the way, my Supra is also an '87 two-tone with rear bumper damage.