is there a more intelligent question than 'is it turbo?"

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
Weather you are turbo or n/a im sure it gets old the first thing people ask is "is it turbo?'' or any of the other ways you can ask that question. Im sure there is better question to start off with that or is that all people care about?

Also, if they were a car enthusiast of any kind they could use their eyes and there own deductive capabilities to look at the front of the car and see if there is an intercooler there. Its even a better question when you have your hood up and its looking you right in the face :biglaugh:

just wanted to see what everyone else thought

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
ive also gotten a lot of: "is it a 6 speed?" and "is it twin turbo?". most of those questions seem to come from ricers though. a lot of older people i run into always say how they loved these we can they came out.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Is it twin turbo?

Is it JDM?

Crap, bmoss beat me to it.

Also have heard the, "What car is it?". Hell, Ed.d used to have an 86.5 and I thought is was an FC way back in the day.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
sometimes when i would run into one the 5million 16yr old ricers in town that always ask the same questions, i like to get them going by making up stuff off the top of my head that isnt even real. then they always seem to know somebody that has it or they are getting it next weekend, its usually pretty entertaining.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
bmoss85;1169560 said:
sometimes when i would run into one the 5million 16yr old ricers in town that always ask the same questions, i like to get them going by making up stuff off the top of my head that isnt even real. then they always seem to know somebody that has it or they are getting it next weekend, its usually pretty entertaining.

i was talking to a honda owner about a ZC swap into a civic... they had no idea what i was talking about they would just nod and go yeah, and try to change the subject so they didnt look so stupid. and he had one of those riced out civics and didnt even know he had a b16 motor in the car

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
At least they are showing interest.

Keep in mind, there are a *LOT* of people who still believe that the only way to make power is large domestic V8 engines. Some of these people have heard that you can make power using a much smaller engine and a turbo.

The famous example of this is the Mk4 - twin turbo and 6 speed. MANY people haven't heard of any other examples. Many more have only heard of the economy examples - like the turbo Smart car, for instance, which obviously won't be equated with big power cars.

So, they are just trying to show some knowledge and interest, and it's up to you to educate them the rest of the way.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i get asked "is it turbo?" and when i say yes, they always ask "is it twin turbo" when i say no, they always lose interest or leave. everyone in the neighborhood i used to live in had a friend or cousin with "twin turbo" haha. they were all a bunch of ricers.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
jdub;1169576 said:
Point at the coil pack and tell them "that's the flux capacitor" :D

brilliant just brilliant, im going to have to try that one day.

EDIT: im tempted to point to my alt one day and call it the turbo and see who really catches one, its pretty massive, 220AMP and powder coated red. shall be interesting

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
shenronzero;1169578 said:
EDIT: im tempted to point to my alt one day and call it the turbo and see who really catches one, its pretty massive, 220AMP and powder coated red. shall be interesting

call it a supercharger and tell them your car is twin charged.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Never gets old. Know why? Because every time the word turbo floats into my eardrum, I get a raging hard boner.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
shaeff;1169607 said:
Never gets old. Know why? Because every time the word turbo floats into my eardrum, I get a raging hard boner.

Oh god lol. I can see it now. a hot blonde walks up to you and wishpers turbo into your ear and off you go. Of course cars turn just about every guy on :biglaugh:

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
There's a thread on this site about the "old" supra and looks of disappointment. After reading that I stick with - this is the rare "Big Brother - in fact there were only a 6 thousand of these made that year" which leads the thought to scarcity. I like "real steel for a real ride" cause that just draws nods of approval from the muscle car crowd and "safe like a tank for the higher speeds" works with female passengers. Say it with confidence too !

With a NA throw in "worked" and "high end" as well as "this is the endurance engine from Toyota". Even "dual overhead cams with fuel injection" should work - look at the ricers throwing the SI stickers on cars...STICKERS ! Wonder how he feels if you ask "is that really...REALLY a SI"

Another great one after throwing some BS out there is to finish it with "I was supposed to race a mustang last week at the track but the chicken didn't show."

The mere mention of "track" raises the bar and appreciation.

Once you get confident at it you'll really feel good.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ The sad thing is that a real SI would likely smoke most of the N/A's. :(

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
I have been lead to believe from the amount of times people ask me if its twin turbo or six speed, that alot of ricers believe the body style is the only difference between the mkIII and the mkIV. So I suppose its not to bad to hear that question a dozen times a week..... But I must say its most amusing to see the ricers from Advance and Autozone ask if its a turbo with such an upbeat voice, only to have their expectations of my 7M-GE shattered so quickly. The fact that I'm going to buy a turbo in the next year is apparently not enough to redeem me for buying an N/A and appreciating it...

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
shaeff;1169607 said:

Hahaha. Chris you sure it wasn't seeing my car yesterday :naughty: