Is the 7m-gte a non-interference engine?

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
My timing belt is looking like it's "time" fairly soon.

Just to check we're talking apples and apples, this is if the timing belt breaks, the pistons and valves will NOT occupy the same space? Right?

I'm going to be shopping around for kits to do the whole lot, wondering how much time pressure I have. Believe me I have no plans on risking my engine.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Apologies if I missed something glaring.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
rayall01;1358921 said:
Totally non interference. Just be prepared to get towed when the belt goes.

Believe me that's not my plan. Just wanted to be a little more well-informed.

Thanks for such a quick reply. :)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
In my MKII MANY MANY years ago, I was ripping through fourth gear to redline, and JUST AS I went to shift into fifth, the belt SNAPPED! I had no idea what went wrong at the time, but to SEE the tach FALL to ZERO almost instantly and the car coasting down from around a buck and change, it freaked me out!

Had no clue about the timing belt and whatnot back then, at 97K miles of redline in every gear since purchase, that first timing belt experience was a sobering one. GREAT that these are NOT interference, as a tow and belt service had me up and running quickly, albeit for an extra FEE with the tow and lost work that day!

I ended up with nearly a quarter-million miles on that car, including a preemptive belt change at 160k miles or so again. I NEVER miss a preemptive timing belt change on ANY vehicles ever since!

(Just listen to the stories of HONDA guys among others with interference engines!)

/breakfast coffee ramble

-crisp

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
crisp;1358933 said:
In my MKII MANY MANY years ago, I was ripping through fourth gear to redline, and JUST AS I went to shift into fifth, the belt SNAPPED! I had no idea what went wrong at the time, but to SEE the tach FALL to ZERO almost instantly and the car coasting down from around a buck and change, it freaked me out!

Had no clue about the timing belt and whatnot back then, at 97K miles of redline in every gear since purchase, that first timing belt experience was a sobering one. GREAT that these are NOT interference, as a tow and belt service had me up and running quickly, albeit for an extra FEE with the tow and lost work that day!

I ended up with nearly a quarter-million miles on that car, including a preemptive belt change at 160k miles or so again. I NEVER miss a preemptive timing belt change on ANY vehicles ever since!

(Just listen to the stories of HONDA guys among others with interference engines!)

/breakfast coffee ramble

-crisp

I like this guy.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
O.k. so there is a mistake in that article? Fine, becouse that's not the first incorection that i found in that program. Just wanted to double check ;)

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
maybe a stupid question, but what if you have had your head machined??? is it possible to make your engine a non interference engine by having the head machined??? sorry if this is a ReTarDEd question. :aigo:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mastergrader007;1359215 said:
maybe a stupid question, but what if you have had your head machined??? is it possible to make your engine a non interference engine by having the head machined??? sorry if this is a ReTarDEd question. :aigo:

"non interference" denote NO INTERFERENCE which it is already so win on the ReTarDEd question.... :nono:

If you're asking if it will ever become an INTERFERENCE engine after machine work no not unless you fit large cams at the same time.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
mastergrader007;1359227 said:
hahahaha, i new i was retarded! lol, long day at work and a couple of beers. i should stay off the damn net when im warbley!
Never drink and drive on the information super highwway.
-AM3

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
So I figure I may as well use this thread again.

Since I will be doing my timing belt soon is there a kit/set with everything I need in it that anyone can recommend?

I'm running stock power, but am hoping to amp up the power over time (though not by much).

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
When I did the timing belt, I simply replaced the belt, and the tensioner. Make sure to torque the tensioner properly! Do NOT overtorque it! I can't remember the value right now (13 or 14ft lbs)- so look it up in the TSRM!

When doing the timing belt, it's also a good time to replace those cam cover seals and cam seals as well. :) Front main seal if it's leaking.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Count Knobula;1360370 said:
So I figure I may as well use this thread again.

Since I will be doing my timing belt soon is there a kit/set with everything I need in it that anyone can recommend?

I'm running stock power, but am hoping to amp up the power over time (though not by much).

More important than a "timing belt kit" is the consideration you give to "other" maintenance when you do the timing belt change. I would highly recommend considering the water pump (try to get an oem Toyota --> AISIN pump... no remans or "knock-offs") and do the idler pulley (belt tensioner) and ALL THE OTHER BELTS. Also a great time to consider any/all other major/regular wear/maintenance items. Others are welcome to chime-in on their recommendations for specific kits or considerations.;)

G/L!

-crisp

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Yeah, I redlined my 89 when I was N/A racing my friend a few times, heard a pop, battery light came on and the car turned off, steering and brakes got stiff..

I coasted to a school parking lot where my car got towed, but it was all good..

attachment.php

attachment.php