Is it ok/safe to bed new pads/rotors in the rain?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
jdub;1023695 said:
Hmmm...a 3500 lb high HP car. Thanks, but I'll stick to my guns.
I'm not going to run a new set of pads and a fresh rotors for the 1st time in the rain...not going to happen on my car ;)

which is compleatly called for "for your application" I agree....

But I highly doubt its nessary in this case!

Now if dude does autoX something of the sorts then sure I'd understand needing the perfect day!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jeez man - I'm not talking about a perfect day...just a dry one ;)
The car still weighs 3500 lbs and the brakes are a very important part of stopping this beast. It's something I do not leave to chance...especially with my pink arse inside :eek3:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
jdub;1023700 said:
Gaboon - Did you skip physics? The brakes will get wet...lets look at how close to the ground they are and the typical (low) speed one would drive through standing water. Do what you want dude, but the OP ask for an answer and I pretty well stated mine.

then in that case..let's say around town driveing...one shouldn't be getting the brakes hot enough to cause glaseing wet or dry or else one drives like a nut....

On the highway water will never make it to the brakes....around town his brakes shouldn't get hot enough.....

Forest gump-"and that's all I got to say about that"

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Bottom line here...
people who take the time to bed their new pads/rotors are getting the most out of their brakes. Many people may not notice a difference or give a flying fuck when driving a car that has had pads/rotors properly bedded. It's exactly the same when people ask "Do I really need to machine my block and head when putting in a MHG...?"...Do you really NEED to do it, possibly not, should you do it, most certainly if you want the most out of your engine. I personally think some people just want to unbolt stuff, slap on new stuff, and call it a day.

The couple feet of stopping power you gained might keep you out of an accident ...who knows...measure twice, cut once...cliche but the right mind set. Just my .02.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OK...think about this...

Would you go DRAG race your brand new clutch? No? Well they why would you do the same to your brakes?

They both are similar systems using much the same materials, and BOTH need to be properly broken in if the expected perfomance out of them is to be achieved.

Do what you want, it's your car, I just don't want you behind me in the Hill Country...

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It would seem a waste to spend a dime on anything and then fuck it up by not installing it properly.

Bedding in rotors and pads isn't rocket science, it just takes some research and careful application of knowledge.

Might as well get the most bang for the buck.

sectorzero

Spooledagain
Mar 18, 2007
Salem, Oregon
What a bunch of egotistical crap. Is it apples or oranges. Are we racing or getting rid of a squeak, are they organic, fiberglass, carbon fiber, metallic, high temp, low temp resin, premium or budget pads. What finish was left on the rotors, how much metal was left on the rotors, were the calipers replaced, rebuilt, was the system flushed, give me a break there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. There are a lot of variables involved in proper and correct brake replacement. Rotor finishes vary depending on a metalic vs, organic pad. The same goes for clutches and head gasket surfaces.

How do you give advice when you don't even know what the variables are?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sectorzero;1029397 said:
What a bunch of egotistical crap. Is it apples or oranges. Are we racing or getting rid of a squeak, are they organic, fiberglass, carbon fiber, metallic, high temp, low temp resin, premium or budget pads. What finish was left on the rotors, how much metal was left on the rotors, were the calipers replaced, rebuilt, was the system flushed, give me a break there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. There are a lot of variables involved in proper and correct brake replacement. Rotor finishes vary depending on a metalic vs, organic pad. The same goes for clutches and head gasket surfaces.

IJ.;1023641 said:
Bedding pads in WILL cause some of the resins in the pad to boil out and gas, once done the pads "cure" and this is no longer an issue.

Worst case scenario (had it happen to a customer at a shop I worked for) Is you drive the pads get hot the resin boils out then you stop the car for whatever reason, the pads bond to the rotors and you're going nowhere.

It took an air chisel against the pad to break it free.

Do some research learn how to bed pads correctly.

Don't know about the US but asbestos is outlawed here for pads/shoes.

;)

sectorzero

Spooledagain
Mar 18, 2007
Salem, Oregon
Oh yeh. how about crankshaft finishes, and cylinder wall finishes depending on what type and how many rings you run. Iron, moly, chrome, gapless, fuels, nitrous, alcohol, gas, combustion temps,???

Brakes are no different. Each application requires its own treatment. Follow the manufacturers recommendations. That is why they hire engineers! It is why some of us have degrees and others don't. We do the testing, research, and push products to, and beyond their breaking point. Then we analyze why, how, and under what conditions the product failed.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
sectorzero;1029397 said:

InFrnt0fU;1023483 said:
MK3BRENT asked this question but it never was answered and I'm now in the same situation. Just installed new powerslot cyros and akebono proact pads in the front. It just started to rain and I have to drive to work in the morning.

Anybody know of or had any bad experience bedding in brakes when its raining/roads wet??

Thanks.

InFrnt0fU;1026461 said:
Bottom line here...
people who take the time to bed their new pads/rotors are getting the most out of their brakes. Many people may not notice a difference or give a flying fuck when driving a car that has had pads/rotors properly bedded. It's exactly the same when people ask "Do I really need to machine my block and head when putting in a MHG...?"...Do you really NEED to do it, possibly not, should you do it, most certainly if you want the most out of your engine. I personally think some people just want to unbolt stuff, slap on new stuff, and call it a day.

The couple feet of stopping power you gained might keep you out of an accident ...who knows...measure twice, cut once...cliche but the right mind set. Just my .02.

Next time why don't you read the thread before you spout off ;)
Bedding in NEW pads and rotors is ALWAYS a good idea.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sectorzero;1029436 said:
Oh yeh. how about crankshaft finishes, and cylinder wall finishes depending on what type and how many rings you run. Iron, moly, chrome, gapless, fuels, nitrous, alcohol, gas, combustion temps,???

Brakes are no different. Each application requires its own treatment. Follow the manufacturers recommendations. That is why they hire engineers! It is why some of us have degrees and others don't. We do the testing, research, and push products to, and beyond their breaking point. Then we analyze why, how, and under what conditions the product failed.

What is your problem?

The bolded text in my quote was agreeing with you just without the condescending bullshit of your post.

You have a degree.... big fucking deal get over yourself.