Is it ok/safe to bed new pads/rotors in the rain?

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
MK3BRENT asked this question but it never was answered and I'm now in the same situation. Just installed new powerslot cyros and akebono proact pads in the front. It just started to rain and I have to drive to work in the morning.

Anybody know of or had any bad experience bedding in brakes when its raining/roads wet??

Thanks.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
No, they won't respond that quick...., they're in the shower.

Brake pads have a wear and fade ratio. Not to mention new pads.
Fresh heat, as you mentioned. Not a good combo. When you throw in the climate.

It'll be like slapping 2 chunks of frozen butter on there and expecting it to grip.

You risk the ruin of your new pads.

Which reminds me. I had an acquiantance with a motorcycle that had squeaky brakes.
He thought wd40 on the calliper would remedy all of that.

Don't be that guy:icon_bigg.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
castrol supra;1023585 said:
Which reminds me. I had an acquiantance with a motorcycle that had squeaky brakes.
He thought wd40 on the calliper would remedy all of that.

Don't be that guy:icon_bigg.

All I can is I hope your acquiantance didn't lose his life for that mistake. That's some scary stuff when you think about it.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
ok question guys.

well, inever heard of "bedding" the brakes. can someone tell me what that is and the steps to it.

and, i changed my brakes about a month ago because they were squeaking...and guess what, they still squeak as im coming to a stop. any ideas? i was thinking of blowing some compressed air in there to rid it of the dirt but my dad said the dust is bad for you to breathe in...so help would be awesome. =]

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Just drive the car and be easy on the brakes....the brakes will work just fine....I'd understand if it was some serious $2000 big brake kit meant to stop a jet liner but damn....sometimes you people are so far from reality....your brakes will work just fine even if you plan on driveing threw a flood

Just drive like you have been forever.....your brakes will stop the car just fine!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
PROJECT N00b;1023610 said:
ok question guys.

well, inever heard of "bedding" the brakes. can someone tell me what that is and the steps to it.

and, i changed my brakes about a month ago because they were squeaking...and guess what, they still squeak as im coming to a stop. any ideas? i was thinking of blowing some compressed air in there to rid it of the dirt but my dad said the dust is bad for you to breathe in...so help would be awesome. =]

Some brakes contain esbestos (sp) and your body can't remove it from the lungs and it can cause cancer....wear a mask.

Bedding is simply the process of wearing the friction surfaces together.....but with bran new rotors and new pads bedding will be very quick considering both surfaces are already flat....these cars aren't NASCAR type setups trying to stop a car going 187mph for 4 hours glowing bright red....we are talking about daily drivers that may hit 100 a few times a year....in this case bedding is over rated and overkill!

Water won't hinder the brakes...your car will stop on a dime....if water were to effect "bedding" it will effect brakeing at any time and none of us would drive in the rain period....just drive.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bedding pads in WILL cause some of the resins in the pad to boil out and gas, once done the pads "cure" and this is no longer an issue.

Worst case scenario (had it happen to a customer at a shop I worked for) Is you drive the pads get hot the resin boils out then you stop the car for whatever reason, the pads bond to the rotors and you're going nowhere.

It took an air chisel against the pad to break it free.

Do some research learn how to bed pads correctly.

Don't know about the US but asbestos is outlawed here for pads/shoes.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Asbestos has been outlawed for brake pads/shoes in the US for many years.

Gaboon - Drive your brand new brake pads and rotors in the rain if you wish. It's something I will not do until I have a chance to bed them in. I don't want to risk glazing the pads...that will affect stopping power wet or dry.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
there is no asbestos in any brake pads on the market here. I could understand bedding in high performance pads if theres something different about them, but regular stock replacements should not need any break in. I would be afraid of glazing the pads more than anything.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
as I said in a previous post "just be easy on the brakes"...water won't glaze your brakes...heat prior to proper brake-in will glaze brakes...hell heat post brake-in can glaze pads.....water has nothing to do with this...especially such a small amount of water that will not even make it to the rotor before wind blows it away.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
So, running through a puddle of water will not suddenly cool the pads, leading to a hard surface forming from the resins IJ mentioned?

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
ok guys, where not formula 1 here, and where not towing 10,000 lbs, so these processes you speak of are whack, water will affect braking of course, but not to the extent where your going to not stop, your pads will be fine considering people run them in rain after "bedding" and the only thing I could see happening is what Ij spoke of, other than that, youll be fine, if your really worry about it, catch a time when its not raining and run your car up to 60mph, ease on the brake harder and harder to the point wear it almost locks all the way to sopt, the friction surfaces between the rotor and pad should be some what broken in and fine even in rain, just a quick way to break them in, I doubt itll glaze in the process, but you could always normally drive on them, the worst that could happen is you hae to buy new pads, your call dude.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hmmm...a 3500 lb high HP car. Thanks, but I'll stick to my guns.
I'm not going to run a new set of pads and a fresh rotors for the 1st time in the rain...not going to happen on my car ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pedal pulsations most people waffle on about as "warped rotors" is usually uneven resin buildup on the surface of the rotor.

As I said earlier do some research work out a technique that works and use it.

I WOULDN'T bed pads in on a wet day as my technique just about has the discs glowing and you run the risk of hard spots forming in the cast iron.

(I worked in the industry for many years when I was a kid and have machined 100's if not 1000's of rotors and drums)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
jdub;1023686 said:
So, running through a puddle of water will not suddenly cool the pads, leading to a hard surface forming from the resins IJ mentioned?

the law of physics would prevent water even touching the rotor in the event of hitting a "small puddle"....big puddle half way ip the wheel sure but then if dude hits puddles that big brakes are the least one would worry about!

Think of the big picture jdub...the brakes aren't going to get wet!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Gaboon - Did you skip physics? The brakes will get wet...lets look at how close to the ground they are and the typical (low) speed one would drive through standing water. Do what you want dude, but the OP ask for an answer and I pretty well stated mine.