Is a 4" exhaust to big for my power goals?

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
Ok am running four inches off the turbo str8 back. i planned to get a t67. i want to know is 4inches is overkill?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Ymh said:
Ok am running four inches off the turbo str8 back. i planned to get a t67. i want to know is 4inches is overkill?

When posting a thread please be more specific. Posting a title that says (4") doesn't tell the viewers anything. Is it that you have a 4" penis, 4" wire wheels on your ride?
Get my point :icon_conf

PS: I did however take the liberty to change the title for you.

To better answer your question, 4" is overkill. I run a 3.5" exhaust with big hp (see avatar)

Duane

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
JustAnotherVictim said:
I thought the same thing, lol.
IMO if you're not going for huge power 4" isn't necessary.

Unless you are planning on 1000RWHP, it is not needed.

I have 3.5" now but maybe I would need to upgrade. (depending on my goals)

Duane

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
Sorry and Thanks Duane...

horsepower gain wasnt the reason i went with 4in. i figure it would help the turbo to flow better and work less. is that true?

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
upgradedsupra said:
When posting a thread please be more specific. Posting a title that says (4") doesn't tell the viewers anything. Is it that you have a 4" penis, 4" wire wheels on your ride?
Get my point :icon_conf

PS: I did however take the liberty to change the title for you.

To better answer your question, 4" is overkill. I run a 3.5" exhaust with big hp (see avatar)

Duane

Hey Duane Blackdevilsupra made 562 RWHP on a 4" exhaust from the turbo back, and the gt4088 turbo at 21.7 psi

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i thought it was a little overkill too. but on sean's sp67 there was a noticeable power increase going from 3" to 4". i dont remember the exact dyno numbers, cant search on supraforums.

i think he still has the dyno charts, i'll see if he will post them.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
dbsupra90 said:
i thought it was a little overkill too. but on sean's sp67 there was a noticeable power increase going from 3" to 4". i dont remember the exact dyno numbers, cant search on supraforums.

i think he still has the dyno charts, i'll see if he will post them.

Again blackdevilsupra made 562RWHP on a 7mgte with a gt4088 journal turbo at 21.7 psi witha 4" turbo back exhaust. All the flow chart theories in the world will not convince me that it is unsubstaciated. Paper flow theory, and real world applications don't always mix.:naughty: :biglaugh:

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
On my 3.4L Toyota Hemi V8 with a pair of hi flo T04's I ran a short piece of 3" off the flange on each turbo then into twin 4" side pipes. (this builds in turbulant flow as it sets up a swirl effect and can benefit a turbo motor)

There is no such thing as "too big" on a turbo motor as long as it fits under the car, I'd run a 4>5" on mine but ground clearance is an issue in my drive way and this is why I have the 3.5" dump into twin 2.5" pipes. (also anything over 3" is a BITCH to silence and I like my 88db system)

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I have 4 inch exhaust on my car right now and I have three catback systems. One 4 inch, one 3 inch for local authorities, and one 4.5 inch drag pipe for the track. On my current set up dropping from the 4 inch pipe down to the 3 inch pipe and changing nothing else dropped 2.3 psi of boost and richened up the a/f's by 1.5. This changed horsepower on the car from 470 rwhp @ 16 psi to 430 rwhp @ 13.7 psi.This is with the boost controller off so it was off the wastegate on both runs. This info came from my logs on my AEM.
Current setup is a GT4202 74.3 mm inducer, 1000 cc injectors, AEM.

Sean

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I think you could do well with both 3'' and 4'' exhausts. Obviously the 4inch will flow better, but you will have to accept the noise and ground clearance issues. I have seen 3" exhausts handle well over 700rwhp on MK4's with out any problems.

I had a similar instance as Sean when I swapped out my Random TECH "high flow" cat for a test pipe. With no boost controller change, I went from 18psi to 20psi.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Not to hijack the thread, but isn't the idea that after the turbo, the name of the game is getting the exhaust out as quickly as possible, since no backpressure is needed? Correct me if i am wrong, and elaborate.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
on our cars giant exhaust + lowered suspension = disaster.

why don't people go with cut-outs instead of a giant exhaust? my cut out is excellent, and when closed it runs through my 3" setup with cat and muffler to keep noise down for long trips. i'm even thinking of getting a silencer to reduce noise even more or going with an oval tubing setup.

i'd recommend getting that oval tubing, i posted this thread about it:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34842

if i redo my exhaust (so i can get a new cat, muffler and silencer and run cleaner/quieter when the cut-out is closed) i'm going to get the 3-1/2" round equivalent (2-1/2" x 4" oval)