Interest in a bolt-in Solstice trans?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Is anybody here interested in the Solstice trans? In my thread it seems like the only reservations were

1) Torque capacity

and

2) Custom shifter housing

Item one was resolved when Mallet put a V8 in front of the Solstice trans.
Does that mean that #2 is the only hold-up?

I'd be willing to machine up some shifter housings if the community wants. I'm guessing these would retail for ~$200. Everything else besides the driveshaft was stock GM or stock Toyota.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
limequat;1292250 said:
Is anybody here interested in the Solstice trans? In my thread it seems like the only reservations were

1) Torque capacity

and

2) Custom shifter housing

Item one was resolved when Mallet put a V8 in front of the Solstice trans.
Does that mean that #2 is the only hold-up?

I'd be willing to machine up some shifter housings if the community wants. I'm guessing these would retail for ~$200. Everything else besides the driveshaft was stock GM or stock Toyota.

What's the benefit over a rebuilt R154?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
steven89;1292353 said:
You'd probably get more interest if you listed all the gains/losses with switching to this trans.

Yeah, good point.
First, the big thread is here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25024

Advantages:
The main benefit is shift feel. The R154 shifts like a 20 year old lawn tractor. The late model AR5 with triple-cone synchros shifts like a Honda. This is the difference between fun-to-drive and I-am-going-to-sell-this-pile-and-buy-a-new-reliable-car.
Availability: There are several AR5s for sale. R154s are getting harder to find.

Disadvantages:
More work: you have to swap over some components from the R154
Speedo: The AR5 has no provision for a mechnical speedo

Cost:
You could do the swap for less than a rebuild. Marlin Crawler charges $1200 + $120 for shipping, $1320 total.

There's a couple Solstice transmissions on car-part.com for $500 right now. Several under $650.
Say you spend $600 on a trans, put $300 towards a custom aluminum shaft, and $200 for a custom shifter housing. You're still $200 ahead and with a better trans and shaft.
The numbers look better if you're doing a swap anyway. Marlin has a $650 core on the R154. Figure $2000 if you need to buy a trans and a rebuild.

JZa80

Mar 6, 2009
WI
i would like to see somsone run this. because the main reason it sparks my intrest is r154s are becoming hard as ever to find.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
If it's as strong as a Marlin built transmission, I would be all for it.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I too was wondering about the transmissions strength, I don't remember where, but I read that it can't take the power levels that an r154 would be able to.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Doward;1292640 said:
Wow, are they really charging that much? I've been doing them for $300 + parts. Cripes!

but how much are parts? most kits are about 300~... so thats at least 600. and ive contacted marlin before, seemed nice, was willing to work with me about my trans and when i could get it done... but the price did hurt when he said it.

but i do wonder what his little tricks are...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
wasn't there a thing from marlin to convert electrical to mechanical or was it the other way around? for the speedo.

So basically with the AR5 you don't get a speedo, you get smoother shifts, but require a diff DS.

Can you just take the cone setup out of the AR5 and rebulid the R154 with that? And with the longer 5th gear..? I would like a lower revving 5th. (not that I'll be rebulding any time soon) already did a fresh rebulid

JZa80

Mar 6, 2009
WI
im no tranny expert. but if the trans are the same bascialyl except the gearing. if the casing would allow it coudlnt you swap the gearing into a r154 casing?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
shaeff;1292457 said:
If it's as strong as a Marlin built transmission, I would be all for it.

Should be of comparable strength. Mallet is running them behind 400lb-ft LS2s with no problem.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Zazzn;1292880 said:
wasn't there a thing from marlin to convert electrical to mechanical or was it the other way around? for the speedo.

Probably the other way around.

So basically with the AR5 you don't get a speedo, you get smoother shifts, but require a diff DS.

Yep.

Can you just take the cone setup out of the AR5 and rebulid the R154 with that? And with the longer 5th gear..? I would like a lower revving 5th. (not that I'll be rebulding any time soon) already did a fresh rebulid

Maybe on the synchros. I don't think you'd be able to swap just the gears as they have different main shafts.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
JZa80;1292913 said:
im no tranny expert. but if the trans are the same bascialyl except the gearing. if the casing would allow it coudlnt you swap the gearing into a r154 casing?

Maybe the main case, but the R154 tailhousing doesn't fit over the AR5 gears. That was the first thing I tried :(

First gear is already too short in the R154, with practically any engine mods. Unless a rear end gearset with around a 3:10 ratio or numerically lower can be found, what is the use of changing to a trans with a higher ratio first gear?

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LET-16 exhaust, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

limequat;1292342 said:
First gear is shorter. 5th is taller. Overall, it's wider.