Interest in a bolt-in Solstice trans?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Doward;1293937 said:
There's a bit of difference in the slop of a 20 year old tranny vs fresh.

I'll be tossing my r154 in Jeff's car hopefully sometime next week, and we'll be able to check that out first hand ;)

:bigthumb:

at least someone knows whats up. yes mine does shift great. between a fresh rebuild and my v3 i love it. and i don't really care what you think either because you have nfi. LOL. and if you really want to know why it feel "notchy" (sp/hurry) is because of the shift head configuration. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SYNCROS. its the way they are "gated" (made up term of mine). if you ever took apart a transverse 5spd you would see the little gates are rounded on the edges making it slip right into gear. compared to the r154 boxy gates.

:wave:

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Ok, Tried the Carbon Shyncros... No go, the cones are slightly different.... you can get it to work if you swap some parts back and forth between the two transmissions... but I don't want to risk something being slightly off and grenading my rebuilt trans.

Basically, the Carbon AR5 synchros will NOT work easily!

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I have personally have had an AR5 apart and I believe it is definately an upgrade to the R154 in all aspects. The only problem keeping me from swaping one into my car is the speedometer problem. it seems like everything else has been adressed. Has anyone figured this out yet? I dont want to do the full swap and find out that I have no way of hooking up the speedo, since my car is a daily driver. I stumbled across this, should this work?
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=80966
Its an electronic to mechanical speedo adapter. I would think it would fit as long as the cable is the same threads between GM and Toyota. It cost too much to buy and hope it works.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
what about a richmond 6spd, summit/jegs sells them new, and they are available in the yards reasonable as well , (camero/firebird) with a mech speedo as well.
if you are gonna swap why not go for one more gear? will it fit?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The Camaro/Firebird 6 speed is a T56, not a Richmond (unless the car has been modified)

The stock R154 shifts very precise when new ;) Haven't put the MTL into it yet, but it's feeling good!

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Doward;1293161 said:
Island, some of us are already working on that.

As for a taller 5th - well... I don't want to comment on what's sitting on my kitchen table, until I finish the front brake brackets ;)

Don't give me that crap, Doward. Talk!

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
I would strongly consider this if we could figure a way around the spedo, would love to throw one of these in the MK2 also.