Intercooler Pipe routing - need to get creative...?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Hey guys,
So I've got a bit of a predicament -- I was trying to mock up my intercooler piping for how I was going to route it, and discovered something in the process. With my radiator in and the A/C pump mounted, there's nowhere to run the pipe from the intercooler outlet into the Throttle Body. The only options I can see right away are ditch the A/C, relocate the battery, or have custom lines made to the compressor to allow room for the piping.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how it might be done without any of these options if at all. I'm thinking of just ditching the A/C for now and maybe having custom lines made up later (if at all)....the car is a Targa, and really it only hit triple-digits about three times this summer, and I only used the A/C on my truck a few times anyway. I'd rather not ditch the A/C, but at the same time it's the easiest and most viable option I think; plus, it wasn't working that great when the motor was running anyway. Here's some pics of the area for visual reference. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 61

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
sethron71;1438613 said:
What size piping are you running? Move the fan over a few inches and 2.5" will fit down through there.

Seth

BTW Seth, what do I do about an alternator tensioner? With the stock tensioner bracket and the drop-down bracket that came with the manifold, there's practically no room between the alt body and the tb snout...will I be able to use the stock tensioner, or will I need to come up with something else? Oh, and I got the throttle linkage rod to work and clear the ISC just by bending it in a couple spots...didn't have to extend it at all past it's adjustment capabilites...heheh.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
With your elec fans I think oval piping is your only choice.

With the oem 10 blade you can fit 3". (use 2.5" because 3" is way to big and can be tight )
p1438650_1.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
If you don't want to relocate, how about a smaller battery and sneaking it between the radiator and battery?

Odyssey battery mounted sideways along the fender would work quite well and give you TONS of room to work with.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
KicknAsphlt;1438631 said:
BTW Seth, what do I do about an alternator tensioner? With the stock tensioner bracket and the drop-down bracket that came with the manifold, there's practically no room between the alt body and the tb snout...will I be able to use the stock tensioner, or will I need to come up with something else? Oh, and I got the throttle linkage rod to work and clear the ISC just by bending it in a couple spots...didn't have to extend it at all past it's adjustment capabilites...heheh.

Shoot me a PM I have a new lower design that I can out with. Used to just modify the stock ones but the new one is completely new. As mentioned oval piping may be your best option if you can not move the fans. Although you can run it tight to the fans since they are protected and just might be able to squeeze it through tight against the A/C lines and fans.

HTH,
Seth

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I'm in the exact same predicament. I'm running the same radiator and fans as you and there is next to no room left for piping. I was going to just pull the AC comp for the time being, but oval pipe is definitely an option. I totally forgot about it. I searched in the past and could never find a supplier.

Thanks Adampecush for the link.:icon_razz

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
supra90turbo;1438667 said:
If you don't want to relocate, how about a smaller battery and sneaking it between the radiator and battery?

Odyssey battery mounted sideways along the fender would work quite well and give you TONS of room to work with.

Definitely an option, but I already have a Red Top waiting to go back in....I'll definitely keep that in mind though.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Definitely some good ideas here though, I think I might look into oval piping....and by that, I mean give one of my pipes an oval section to squeeze through....lol. (ok, I'm kidding...well, partially...might look into it. I wouldn't think it'd affect flow too much ovaling a section of the pipe a little...)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
KicknAsphlt;1439019 said:
Definitely some good ideas here though, I think I might look into oval piping....and by that, I mean give one of my pipes an oval section to squeeze through....lol. (ok, I'm kidding...well, partially...might look into it. I wouldn't think it'd affect flow too much ovaling a section of the pipe a little...)

go for it, as long as you can keep the pipe straight you shouldn't have a problem. No significant change in flow either as long as you keep everything smooth.