Intercooler Install.. Hood Latch Support Bracket

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Hey guys and gals,

Im in the process of installing my driftmotion intercooler kit. I was looking around and a few people actually REMOVE the hood latch support bracket which will also weaken the hood latch (not my idea of fun at high speeds). What is everyones thoughts on this? I was thinking of cutting off the piece that angles down (and gets in the way) and bolts at the bottom of the rad. I dont want to mount the intercooler at an angle.

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

reeds420

Apr 20, 2010
Phoenix
Not sure about removing the radiator support bracket. When I did mine, that whole "angled piece" that hooks up to the hood latch came completely out. Gives you plenty of room. Also gonna have to relocate the horns, coolant reservoir, and oil cooler as well if you didn't know

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How tall is it?

I fit mine straight no cutting. 31/12/3.

Also have have seen people just cut a notch out of the hood latch support.

Never seen anyone cut the rad support for an ic unless it was v mount.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I took an angle grinder to my latch support and supported the ic with it aswell

Its not pretty but it gets the job done

p1844809_1.jpg

p1844809_2.jpg

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
I relocated my oil cooler, rad. reservoir, horns, and removed the hood latch support. I also made room by removing my a/c condenser because i dont have a functioning a/c anyway. im going to use what i have left of the bracket from the intercooler kit to support the hood latch. i cut up the bracket and used it to mount my intercooler straight up and down. its very stable and was easy to do. bumper cutout is just temporary until i can get the mvp air dam. here are some pics of mine so far.
p1844835_1.jpg

p1844835_2.jpg

p1844835_3.jpg

p1844835_4.jpg

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I have the exact kit in my car. Unfortunately the shop where I got my 1JZ swapped in cut the crash bumper to make it fit.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Supra_dan;1844830 said:
Suprasick, is that the new kit or the old one?

Not sure, I bought it off a guy about a year ago... Its the cxracing setup with the feed pipe running into a L shaped connector underneath the ic.

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
I picked the dm kit last year and ended up notching the hood latch bracket like suprasick, not that bad to do. Didn't even have to relocate anything aside from the coolant overflow when I did it.

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
YouGotSpooled;1844854 said:
So you removed it all together? More pictures would be appreciated!

Better side pic:
p1845027_1.jpg

This is the bracket the HKS intercooler and hardpipe kit comes with that I more or less copied:
p1845027_2.jpg

p1845027_3.jpg

Both brackets hold the hood latch as good as the OEM bracket did.

SpoolinSupra

Jul 5, 2006
Wyoming Valley, PA
www.myspace.com
I'm running a 12x24x4, i basically cut the most of the lower portion of the latch support right off. Using the the top piece which anchors to the rad support/latch tabs and the nose panel beam, its plenty stiff. Easiest way to do it that i found. i had to drill out 2 spot welds for a tab that was attached to it so it could be removed. took a few minutes to do, plenty of room for intercooler as well