Insurance Quote

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
After requesting a quote for my 88 turbo that will not be daily driven:

"Thank you for your Internet request.

In order to process your request, I will need some additional information. Please provide the following information for each customization.

1. Type of customization:
2. Cost of customization:
3. Was the customization installed by a licensed repair/installation facility?"

Hmmm think I'm gonna go with rims and an exhaust... that sounds legitimate, not "oh well i spliced my ecu so I could control my a/f ratio, as well as cutting out my cat so I could boost more"

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
GrimJack said:
All they really care about is customizations that they may have to pay for if you total the car, IIRC.
word.. and maybe theft.. I figure in an accident i would buy the car back and strip it anyways.. so thats no big deal..

on mine I put none..

Once i get to the point i got over 10k into i will look into claimed value insurance or something..

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Before I bought my 89 N/A I called and got a quote from my Mercury Rep and she told me that if I decided to buy a Turbo it would about double my full coverage insurance so I went with the N/A. I am currently looking for a complete 89 turbo car at Ecology every weekend to strip everything and build myself a Turbo motor to replace my 177K motor. What Mercury don't know won't cost me extra. LOL
Geezer

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Exactly, I only payed 3k for the car anyways and have put well over 50k miles on it so it would all come out as even if I lost it since I figure I already got my money's worth for an awesome car.
Geezer

solid400

Apr 8, 2005
Atlanta GA
I know it sounds good to just not tell them, but if you get in an accident, and the investigator sees a turbo, your not just out the turbo, odds are they will completely deny your claim which means your screwed if you damage some one elses ride. They can also nail you with insurance fraud which is a pretty big deal.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Here in California I dont believe that you can be held liable for an accident because you modified your engine. As long as I follow the Smog Rules I'm 100% legal. So when I do go Turbo it will be of the same year making me Smog Legal. I won't get back the money I invested in the swap, but like I said I already got my moneys worth from this cool car.
Geezer

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Yeah, so like what if you turbo a civic (random), get in an accident... Then woudl they deny your claim because you have a turbo on your car? Granted you might not get your turbo back, they shouldnt be able to deny a claim because of primarily bolt on mods. If they can, something is very screwy. Anyway, if they found you had a turbo on your [make believe] honda, what are they going to say you should have listed it under?

There maybe something I dont know here, so do tell if im wrong.

solid400

Apr 8, 2005
Atlanta GA
You are supposed to tell your insurance agency of any modifications you have made to the car beyond factory, at least thats what my company tells me. For stuff like exhaust they don't seem to care but if you do forced induction or nitrous they wanna know, and you are gonna pay more for it.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I was just requesting a quote for liability so I don't think the modifications were used for car value. I figured being honest would save me from possible insurance fraud charges.

I figured I'd keep it honest but toned down

> 1. Type of customization: Aftermarket wheels and tires
> 2. Cost of customization: $300
> 3. Was the customization installed by a licensed repair/installation
facility? Yes

> 1. Type of customization: Aftermarket exhaust system
> 2. Cost of customization: $150
facility? Yes

> 1. Type of customization: Aftermarket intake system
> 2. Cost of customization: $50
facility? No

Their response:

"Unfortunately, due to our underwriting guidelines will not be able to process your request to quote adding the 1988 Toyota to the policy. We cannot insure the 1988 Toyota due to the customizations the vehicle has. Please obtain coverage for this vehicle with a local insurance agency. "

So what insurance company should I switch too?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
My Mercury rep never asked me if my Supra was modified in any way nor I did I have any places in my policy that required me to list any. I pay for coverage of the 3k I spent on buying the car not extra for any mods I may have done. I bought the same kind of insuarnce for my restored 68 Charger. All I wanted was X amount if the car is totaled not all the money I spent restoring and modifying it like Late model disc brakes, MSD distributor and ignition, I figured I got my money back by peace of mind in having great brakes, and gas mileage from having things like the MSD system. If you want ALL your money back for ALL your mods to ANY car, contact a Classic Car Insurance Company such as Hagerty not a standard insurance company.
www.hagerty.com
Geezer

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
supra90turbo said:
I just went to www.hagerty.com and all I can choose for "vehicle modification" is 'stock'. But they say that the vehicle must be at least a 1981 if insured as 'stock'. They suck at teh intArnet.

Hmmm.. I was ckg. out hagery.com also, and they have a caption for "modern classics" where a foreign sports car meets their test. Nothing about modifications was mentioned. Anybody tried insuring their Supra with Hagery?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
im paying 700 a year with AIG through my parents with only liability. on my own plan i was quoted for 1150 a year for full coverage.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
God I love the south. Local Insurance companies don't give a shit if its modified to hell, so long as you pay on time.