installing spoiler. how to?

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
got a 89 turbo spoiler for my 87 but i got confused on how to install the side one. i know you have to make 2 holes for the little pop in thing, but what about the 2 hole on each side spoiler? how do i make a screw fit and hold it down tight? do i have to buy a L adapter and make it fit or is there any other way?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you're supposed to have all the brackets when you install it. Once you see everything it's all self explanatory.

be glad you have an 87 and not an 86.5, as those don't have holes (covered by the plugs) in the corners of the bottom of the hatch, so you have to have extra skinny fingers and super-long wrenches, I found that out when I installed the 3 piece on my 86.5

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
what plugs? you got pic to explained? anyway, i dont have the bracket so what can i do to install it?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
just some rubber plugs to plug up the holes you use to tighten down the wing after you drill holes into the hatch..

pop your hatch and look at the far corners, you'll see what I mean..

and unless you can fab up some L brackets, you really should go for the OEM ones..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Picture...

Brackets clip into body, drop spoiler piece over top and screw into brackets.

Wingmount.JPG

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
can i make em? if not, where can i purchase these from besides dealers? also, i do have to drill holes for them right?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
is that my spoiler there Dave? When are you going to have it painted and installed?

Yes, from what i understand thats the way you suppose to have it installed^^

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
darn. my only choice left is to drill 2 small hole on the side spoiler and 2 on the side where the hatch close and use like a metal strap to hold it in place besides the 2 sharp thinging or else i have to go to the junk and get it.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
any one got 4 for sale? lol....can i get part number for these please. also, do i need to drill little hole for them to sit in?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I've used the blue clips by cutting off the square part on the bottom (of the clip) and just screwing them into a predrilled hole. That's the best way I could figure out to do it on a car that didn't come with the wing installed from the factory.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
just drill a small round hole (are there any other kinds you can drill?) and slowly start to push the blue piece in. Once it fits in snuggly, the screw you drive into it expands the tabs and holds it in place.

I actually fit my 86.5's spoiler better than the shop I paid to do my 89's..

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
KevinM;1490185 said:
I've used the blue clips by cutting off the square part on the bottom (of the clip) and just screwing them into a predrilled hole. That's the best way I could figure out to do it on a car that didn't come with the wing installed from the factory.

thats what i was thinking too but cut off the square clip then use bolts and nuts to lock it in place.

GrimJack;1490180 said:
Part number 76867-14020, they cost $4-5 each.

They sit in holes, but you're going to have a hell of a time drilling them, as they are square from what I recall.

thanks for the part number. ill give my local toyota dealer a call.

RazoE;1490313 said:
just drill a small round hole (are there any other kinds you can drill?) and slowly start to push the blue piece in. Once it fits in snuggly, the screw you drive into it expands the tabs and holds it in place.

I actually fit my 86.5's spoiler better than the shop I paid to do my 89's..

i could try this too. also, how can i be able to measure where i need to drill them in.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
lipstick...

seriously..

screw in the plastic tabs on the spoiler, mark the bottoms with lipstick, and position it on the trunk/sides and press down..

it'll leave an imprint that can be wiped away incase you need to reposition..

it's what I did..