Installing a gt35r with stock ecu

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm not going to Texas. My car is in the shop being painted, it was suppose to be done by now, but it's not. Vonda's broke today while putting it on the dyno. We noticed the bolt that threads into the block was stripped and the threads have broke off inside the oil filter location. I don't know how this happened or why, but this car is truly posessed. It doesn't like me not even a little bit for some reason. Now I'm either going to find another block to build or install the 1jz that I have. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I've given the 7m many many chances, and it keeps failing miserably. This isn't a mechanical issue technically, but it is an issue and I've spent soooo much money on Vonda's car trying to make it run faster than our local LS1's and musclestangs.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
WOW, thats a didferent way to kill it! Did it leak out the oil or what killed it exactly?

222jjjzzz time:biglaugh:...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
That sucks..So the threads in the block are broken where the oil filter screws to? It could have been overtightened at some point.

A JZ swap is probably going to cost you more in the long run than finding a new block and putting it together. Not to mention you could have the same problems with the 1j as well.

Take some pics of whats broken. There could be a chance it's repairable.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'll take some pictures of it once it's out of the car. I don't really want to try and "fix" it. It's way beyond repairing and I would be a nervous wreck thinking it was going to come off again and lose all of her oil while driving it.

Reaper.....the motor isn't hurt. The oil was pumping out, but we were just idling. We never even strapped it down. The internals are fine, but now I need to find another block.

I have a complete 1jz with ecu and wiring harness sitting here at my house. That's the only reason I'm considering the jz swap. I also have a manifold for the 1jz that is perfect for my gt35r. I'm not going to rush into anything since I have other things to work on right now. I'll get it fixed sooner than later, but right now, I'm not in the mood to mess with that [strike]POS[/strike]......wonderful piece of machinery.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Here are a couple pictures of the carnage with the engine still in the car. If you look closely, you can see where the cast broke off.

p1521471_1.jpg

p1521471_2.jpg

I'm in the process of removing the engine now. I'll probably end up getting a 7mge and having it rebult with these parts from her gte.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
suprahero;1521471 said:
Here are a couple pictures of the carnage with the engine still in the car. If you look closely, you can see where the cast broke off.

This is the fifth time I've seen that failure on a 7M in the last 20 years. Once during assembly after a rebuild, twice in the car shortly after a rebuild, last one was months later and now yours. How long has this motor been in the car? Was the block hot tanked before assembly? I'm trying to figure out if there's anything that these five incidents all have in common...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The blocks been in the car for about a year and a half Mike. In that year and a half, it only has a few hundred miles tops. The dreaded code 52 had it parked for most of that time. Vonda would drive it on pretty days but we just didn't get into boost with it very often since it had no power. I finally got the code 52 fixed and decided to put the 35r on it. That started about three months ago, but I kept having trouble with the manifolds. Finally got everything together and decided to take it to get tuned. I only drove it for about five miles around the house before towing it to the dyno........in case something went wrong.

When it was rebuilt, the machinist put the block in a vat and he cleaned it twice. I guess that is the same as hot tanking it, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately for me, I can't find a gte block anywhere locally, but I have five ge blocks to choose from. I'm hoping that I can make one of those work without too much extra work.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
suprahero;1521490 said:
When it was rebuilt, the machinist put the block in a vat and he cleaned it twice. I guess that is the same as hot tanking it, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately for me, I can't find a gte block anywhere locally, but I have five ge blocks to choose from. I'm hoping that I can make one of those work without too much extra work.

Or you could come to my house to get one. I have two complete 7M-GTE's sitting around...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know you MIke. This seems way to convenient for you to try out one of your new pistols on me................:aigo:

To all of you reading this. My name is Jay Hayes........if for some reason, I never log back on, please send authorities to Georgia.........wait, Mike runs this site. I'm pretty sure he could erase this just as easily as he could dispose of my lifeless body. All of a sudden the GE blocks seem like a better deal.......:biglaugh:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
But then we'd have to put up with a grieving Vonda... From what I understand she's kind of fond of you.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
She was young when I met her and she didn't know any better. Now she's older and very much brain washed.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nick M;1521964 said:
You are saying she is old now?

Nope, I said she was young then, she could still be young today, just not as young. She is still beautiful ................:love:

You see what I did there? You were trying to get me in trouble, but I turned it around and will be having sexy time when she comes home..........:naughty:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You know my motto....... We start at the same time, it's not my fault I always win...........:naughty: