Installing a Full Flow, Thermostat Controlled Oil Cooler & Remote Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Hey Jdub, will that 90 degree sandwich adapter be any better than using one hard 90 adapter like jtran? Because that seems to be my only other option since the straight adapter and swept 90 hose end interferes with the ct's outlet... and it seems to have the same hard 90 restriction, maybe larger i.d. though?

I'm also going to have to use swept 90 -10 hose ends on both my dual filter outlet (under pass side headlight) and my oil cooler (B&M's largest) It's a monster cooler, the only places I can get it to fit are under the driver side headlight housing, snug up under there, and then cut some holes in that metal panel and maybe make ducts into the wheel well

Or I could sandwich it behind the condenser (between itself and the radiator, snug against the condenser) and the hose and fittings squeeze right between the bottom of the condenser and the frame. It sure would be a tight squeeze, but with just nudging the condenser up a touch, the hose fights right through... but I don't want to risk damaging it in the long run.... Man I'm regretting getting such a large oil cooler!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jaguar_5;985118 said:
Hey Jdub, will that 90 degree sandwich adapter be any better than using one hard 90 adapter like jtran? Because that seems to be my only other option since the straight adapter and swept 90 hose end interferes with the ct's outlet... and it seems to have the same hard 90 restriction, maybe larger i.d. though?

The block adapter in post #10? If so, it would be a better choice restriction wise.

Jaguar_5 said:
I'm also going to have to use swept 90 -10 hose ends on both my dual filter outlet (under pass side headlight) and my oil cooler (B&M's largest) It's a monster cooler, the only places I can get it to fit are under the driver side headlight housing, snug up under there, and then cut some holes in that metal panel and maybe make ducts into the wheel well

Or I could sandwich it behind the condenser (between itself and the radiator, snug against the condenser) and the hose and fittings squeeze right between the bottom of the condenser and the frame. It sure would be a tight squeeze, but with just nudging the condenser up a touch, the hose fights right through... but I don't want to risk damaging it in the long run.... Man I'm regretting getting such a large oil cooler!

I would sandwich it between the condensor and IC if you can...you will need to remove the condensor fan. You don't want metal to metal contact between the condensor and oil cooler...use plastic isolators.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
jdub;985140 said:
The block adapter in post #10? If so, it would be a better choice restriction wise.

I would sandwich it between the condensor and IC if you can...you will need to remove the condensor fan. You don't want metal to metal contact between the condensor and oil cooler...use plastic isolators.

The problem is the AC lines make it a really tight fit, maybe if I cut into the hood latch support...

Thanks for your expert input :)

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
You get what you pay for , i already done with my oil relocate set up but i'm going to order that Canton block adaptor, because it's a better choice for me. Thank you IJ and Jdub for great informations !!!:bigthumb:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Damn that's a nice piece, expensive though!

But with the swiveling, if you factor in two 90 degree swivel adapters, that's already $60... heh the straight adapters are dirt cheap in comparison...

Just when I was about to buy the permacool 90... damn IJ, you just cost me $450 between the bad news about my flywheel and this... but much cheaper in the long run :)

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Perma cool works but the partd are cheap and flimsy. I broke 2 before retiring them permanently. The mocal H adapter is nice but it is cast and can break also. I bought the Earls 501erl from Summit, which is made of solid machined aluminum. My dual adapter is a machined aluminum piece from Amsoil. Now I never worry about casr pieces cracking.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I couldn't help but notice my perma cool filter mount doesn't have a wrench fitting on the 3/4-16 thread. So finger tight is all you get?

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
This seemed the best place to ask a question on full flow oil cooler installation processes.

Which method for sealing NPT connections is best:: liquid teflon, thread sealer/non-teflon based, or teflon tape(oil grade?)

Matt-

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I use teflon tape on oil NPT fittings...you can use teflon paste too, but it's messy. Don't use thread sealer on the AN side of the fitting.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Canton oil filter adaptor with straight fittings is out performed permacool with 90 degree fittings . it's bolt on so you can turn it to any direction you want ; save space and better flow . I paid $60.70 + $10. shipping

arp 002.jpg

arp 003.jpg

arp 005.jpg

arp 006.jpg

arp 007.jpg
<edit IJ> Be aware that there is interference with the Canton adaptor and the E-bay/SSAC Header, there is however enough material in the adaptor to clearance it to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.