Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I get a lot of questions on this one ;)
This eliminates the stock filter head on the 7M-GTE. I converts the cooler from a pressure based feed (not very effective IMO) to a thermostat controlled circuit. Much better at regulating oil temps.

There's a couple different ways to switch the stock oil filter cooler from the pressure driven type circuit to a full flow system. Both involve using a remote set-up for the oil filter. This can get a lot more complex...using an accumulator and in line filters for example. I'm going to keep it fairly simple:

Type 1 - Single filter/cooler circuit with parts in a series

Part's list:
- NA Filter Stud - Part #90404-20173 (PNC #15600A)
Na Filter Stud.gif

- Filter Adapter - Permacool #111 (1/2" NPT fittings, 3/4" x 16 filter thread)
Permacool Adapter.gif

- OR -

- Filter Adapter - Canton #22-595 (1/2" NPT fittings, 3/4" x 16 filter thread)
Canton Rotating 90 deg Adapter.gif

This adapter has side fitting vs top for the PermaCool. It also rotates 360 deg for max flexibility routing hoses.

- Remote Filter Head - Permacool Single Filter Head #1791 -or- Permacool Dual Filter Head #1221
(Both are dual port 1/2" NPT fittings, w/ 3/4" x 16 filter threads)
Permacool Sgl Filter Head.gif

Permacool Dual Filter Head.gif

For a dual filter head, use a Trasko bypass filter for the 2nd one...available here: Trasko Bypass Filter
This filter removes particles down to 1 micron...use the TI-10S or T3/4-20S if you want a bit more capacity. Get spare filter elements...this filter will need to be changed every 5000 miles or so (the 1st time at 3K...it will remove a lot of particles from the motor initially). You will be able to estimate the filter change time by the amount of "crap" the filter removes on the 2nd element...you'll see a dark area move up the element when you pull it out...just note the mileage and increase based on how high the dark area is up the filter. If you do not want to use a Trasko, there is no point in using two full flow filters...use a single filter head.

Trasko Dual Filter.jpg

(Thanks Jag!)

A bit more info for the Trasko installed on a dual filter head:
Dual Remote Filter Head

- Oil Cooler - (1/2" NPT fittings) B&M, Longs TruCool, Derale (stacked plate design) or Setrab, Earls, Fluidyne, Flex-a-lite, Permacool (fin & tube design).
Min size approx 7" x 11" x 1.5" w/ 1/2" NPT fittings. Personally, I feel the stacked plate coolers are a superior design.

- Mocal Remote Oil Thermostat (AN-8 and AN-10 Fittings)
Available at Racer Parts Wholesale: Mocal Oil Thermostat
Mocal Thermo.gif

I recently became aware of a production change in this thermostat with regards to the position of the waxstat. Some have it on the side with the bolthead...more recent units have it on the side opposite the bolthead. Oil should enter from the engine on the side that has the waxstat...just look down the passageways for a spring to identify the waxstat side. That is the side that should have the engine feed/return installed.

Mocal Thermostat Install PDF:
Mocal Install

- OR -

- Earls Remote Oil Thermostat (AN-10 O-ring). This thermostat also has 1/8" NPT ports for gauge sensors.
Available at Summit Racing: Earl's Oil Thermostat
Earls Thermo.jpg

- Fittings & Hose - Min size AN-8 to 1/2" NPT for the above filter adapter, filter head, and cooler. You can go with larger AN size Hose (AN-10) if you want...this is especially useful with a shimmed pump, but not required for most motors. You can use stainless braid with AN screw on type fittings or rubber hose like AeroQuip Socketless with push lock AN fittings (this is easier to work with and is good hose). The length required will depend on where you mount the cooler/remote filter head. I have my remote filter mounted under the passenger side head light. Mounting the cooler will depend on how big it is...you can mount it in the stock location (if there is room), sandwich it between the IC and the radiator by fab'ing brackets, or mount under the drivers side head light with a fan mounted on the cooler. Get creative...what you need is good air flow ;)

Routing:
- First, install all the 1/2" NPT to AN fittings to the filter adapter, filter head and oil cooler...use teflon tape on the NPT side, no tape or sealant on the AN side. Cut hoses to length and install AN fittings to the hose as you go.
- Start at the block with the NA stud installed and the filter adapter screwed on tight...lube the rubber seal with a little oil.
- From the outside fitting (out) on the filter adapter, run a hose to the "in" on the filter head.
- From the "out" on the filter head, run a hose to the Mocal thermostat to the "from engine" per the above Mocal instructions.
- From the "to engine" on the Mocal, run a hose to the center fitting (in) on the adapter mounted on the block.
- Run 2 lines from the opposite side of the Mocal (to/from cooler in the instructions) to the oil cooler...it does not matter the order...the cooler will work fine with either line hooked up on either fitting. There is no in/out for the cooler.

Before You Start the Car:
- Change your oil...overfill to at least 1 quart above the top line on the dipstick.
- Check all fittings to make sure they are tight and install a filter (Wix or PureOne) on the filter head...the Trasko as well on a dual head.
- You will have to block the old oil return on the pan...M12x1.25 bolt with a correct size oil pan washer will work fine.
- Pull the EFI fuse and crank (make sure the battery is good) until you get an oil pressure indication on the gauge...this fills the lines/cooler with oil.
- Check your oil and fill to the same level as above.
- Reinstall EFI fuse and crank...check for normal pressure and run for a few minutes.
- Shut down and let the oil drain to the pan...check for leaks/drips under the car.
- Check the oil again and refill again to 1 quart above the top line on the dipstick.

Type 2 - Dual filter/cooler circuit in parallel

A lot like the above, but you install the thermostat/cooler on one circuit (using a sandwich plate) and the remote filter on another circuit (using the filter adapter).

Additional parts:

Earl's Sandwich Plate Adapter (3/4" -16 thread w/ 3/8" NPT fittings) - (available at Summit Racing)
Earls Sandwich Adapter.jpg

- OR -

Earl's Sandwich Plate (3/4" -16 thread w/ -10 O-ring fittings) w/ thermostat (available at Summit Racing)
Earls Sandwich Adapter - Thermo.jpg

- OR -

Mocal Sandwich Plate (3/4" -16 thread w/ 1/2" NPT fittings) w/ thermostat (available at Racer Parts Wholesale)
Mocal 2.jpg

Routing:
- You use one of the above sandwich plates installed between the block and the filter adapter discussed above. Simply run two lines to the cooler from the sandwich plate. If you go with the top plate (no thermostat), the fittings are 3/8" NPT...a bit small, and you will still need a thermostat installed somewhere in the two lines.
- From the outside fitting (out) on the filter adapter, run a hose to the "in" on the filter head.
- From the "out" on the filter head, run a hose to the center fitting (in) on the adapter mounted on the sandwich plate/block.

The advantage of the bottom two is the thermostat is built into the plate, but they open a bit earlier at 160 degs (the Mocal says 180...I tested one and it started to open at 160 just like the Earl's). This is not optimum IMO...you want a 180 deg stat to help get the oil to ops temp (210 deg) as quickly as possible. On all of the above, the filter is not providing protection for the cooler. IMO, the single circuit type is a better option.

Make sure you follow the sequence I posted above to fill the lines with oil!

• Love
Reactions: awsom-0

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
This definitely needed to be stickied a long time ago :)

Great post Jdub!

I'm assuming no sealant is needed on either sides of the N/A Filter stud?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks Jag...I get so many PM's on this subject, it was about time I got around to making it easier on myself ;)

That's correct...no sealant on the NA stud.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I wish I knew who to give credit for this diagram, i found it on here awhile ago and can't figure out where

Single circuit diagram:

Oil Cooler Diag.jpg

Edit: Jag - I hosted it for you...thanks!

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Hi Jdub ! I just installed this oil adaptor on my supra
17623471646.jpg

After I added on 1/2 npt to an-8 and 90 degree an-8 fitting now it's sticking out too far that I can't hook my 2.5" lower intercooler hard pipe back on
adaptor2.JPG

So should I get this 90 degree an flare
aer-fbm2038_w.jpg

Or, is there any sandwich adapter with 1/2 npt in and out that you would recommend ?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's odd, I've used this same adapter and same fittings as you have with no problems. It looks like you could lengthen the hose so the fittings would point down vs forward, giving you the room you need. The 90 deg NPT-AN fitting could work too, but you would need a straight hose fitting to mate.

Besides the Canton adapter, this is only block adapter that I know of that has side 1/2" NPT ports:

TDP Side Port Oil Adapter.jpg

At Summit Racing:
Side Port Oil Adapter

You can run the hose to either side (dual in/out ports) and use either 90 deg or straight hose fittings.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
After seeing this post I tried to fit the same adapter with Mocal NPT -> AN fittings and their 90 degree bends, and I have the same problem!

It seems as though the new batch of these won't let you thread the adapters deep enough without risking stripping the threads, to get enough clearance.

I plan to get 90 deg npt -> -10 adapters and straight AN hose ends, hopefully I can find the npt adapter in black!

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
would it be okay if i went with the type II, dual circuit system....but instead of putting the mocal sandwich adapter/ thermostat on the block can i place it on the remote oil filter mount. i dont see why i couldnt but just asking...

so it would come out of the engine into the remote oil filter mount then the mocal sandwich adapter then the oil filter screwed on to that.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can, but why even use the Type II at all. The single circut is much more simple and uses less hose.
The only reason i even mentioned the Type II is I have seen it done that way...had the same thoughts about it too ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Jaguar_5;967014 said:
After seeing this post I tried to fit the same adapter with Mocal NPT -> AN fittings and their 90 degree bends, and I have the same problem!

!

I have done nearly the same thing. Although I am not mounting where you are. I wanted to point out (one of IJ's posts) the hard 90 degree bend will cause some restriction in the circuit.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Hi Jdub ! I got my oil relocate kit hooked up and want to know what you think? I used -8 lines because my oil pump is not shimmed. Oil pressure is couple psi up and the car warms up quicker, cooler oil, better oil change location and no more leaks. Thank you Jdub for the oil relocate instructions !!!:bigthumb:

oilrelocate 001.jpg

oilrelocate 003.jpg

oilrelocate 005.jpg

oilrelocate 006.jpg

oilrelocate 010.jpg

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Looks good!

What kind of cooler is that and what are it's dimensions? You shoe horned that baby right in the stock location ;)

The only real critique (a minor one) is using a hard 90 deg AN/NPT fitting on the block adapter...they are more restrictive than the 90 deg sweep hose ends. You used it at the end of the circuit though and should not cause you any problem. Especially since you got a pressure increase. You should see a psi increase at higher RPM (above 3000 or so) now that you've eliminated the relief valve in the stock filter head.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
I just measured my oil cooler , the core measure 11.5" x 4.8" x 2." 16 row the area is a bit small but the volume is almost the same as B&M one . I used one 90 degree an -8/npt at return on block adaptor because i had no choice as i said earlier on this thread , the good thing is that as soon as it hit the end it will see .500" i/d so 3/8 to 1/2 is not that bad but 1/2 to 3/8 is bad , that's why i wouldn't use it for any outlet pressure side .thanks!:icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.