in cylinder video

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ. said:
Wonder if that was just at idle?
(not as harsh as I'd imagined)

If it's not detonation, it's not really all that harsh. There's no "explosion" in a properly running engine, just burning and expansion.

With that said, I'd give you good odds that it was at idle.

And yea, that was a damned cool video.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Camshaft theory will tell you that it does. Lookup all the reasons for camshaft overlap and it will give you an idea.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Pretty cool, I'm still trying to understand the type of time lapse photography that they used, as each frame seems to be taken from individual power cycles (for lack of a better term).

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I think you are right Dirgle. This camera does not look to be high speed at all. Looks like it is piecing together multiple shots from many cycles.
Notice how the intake valve is spinning around.
Pretty neat find.
We have a glass engine here at school, now that is sweet.

Dirgle said:
Pretty cool, I'm still trying to understand the type of time lapse photography that they used, as each frame seems to be taken from individual power cycles (for lack of a better term).

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Dirgle said:

I agree, there seems to be something fishy with the continuity of the images... I would think that they connected the camera to the crankshaft's rotation and took an image at every .5 degree or something like that... over a period of several hundred cycles. Then they spliced it all together to create the film... sort of like the stick man animations using the corner of the pages... then you flip them really fast. Seems the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Pretty darn good idea.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey, it gives a great illustration when you're trying to explain the cycles.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
i work in combustion delvelopment at a nameless disel company you would be suprised what we do. this is old technology they have been visulizing combustion since the 80s most of the information is proprietary and never gets realesed. the piston could be inserted with quartz we used to do that but our current methods i cant discuss because they are proprietary ill give you a hint tho we dont copy paste images we shoot the real thing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Intake charge isn't very dense and there's not a lot of flame front travel across the crown so I'd guess it's at idle.

There seems to be a missing frame or two around the exhaust event each time as well.