I'm changing my timing belt and this is what I found. What does it indicate?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Bumping the starter did not work. It didn't have enough force to break it loose.

I guess I'm headed to town for a super long pipe and maybe a couple hand grenades!!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
thedave925;980930 said:
When you do bust the bolt loose and remove it, mildly tap many times around the pully with a hammer to get the pully to loosen up from the snub of the crank.

Do NOT do that. Damage to the pulley or the crank is the direct result of doing so.

Do it right and use a puller!!!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
CajunKenny;980969 said:
Bumping the starter did not work. It didn't have enough force to break it loose.

I guess I'm headed to town for a super long pipe and maybe a couple hand grenades!!!

Is your battery low or something?? This has always worked for me when I've had to do some work to a motor, or taking it apart (doing this before pulling the motor makes life tons easier ;).

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, I always hear about the 'crank the car' method, but have never tried it.
The other way is to take off the lower tranny cover, and have a buddy block the flywheel with a prybar or something, and you use a big-ass breaker bar. That always works.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ok if you have not taken off your crank pulley.

Get a flash light and check the oil pump drive shaft pulley. No need to remove the crank shaft bolt to check down there with a flash light.

Just a guess! ;)

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Frank Rizzo;980896 said:
That little jazz about the head being at an angle and making the belt ride back, now that's CLASSIC!!!!! Put the bong down buddy. He would have bigger problems than this if that was the case.

Thats exactly what i was thinking haha.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Hey I had this same problem getting my crank pulley bolt loose. I just took a torch (small coleman one) and heated up the bolt quite a bit (not cherry red but hot!) and popped a snap-on impact gun on there and it came right out. I tried for hours with a breaker bar, several impact guns, etc. NO luck, amazing what a little heat will do, just dont get it too hot...
Good luck

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
just go to a snap on truck and ask them for a chain wrench and do it the right way trust me it will be the best 90 bux u will ever spend it will pay for itself later on down the road

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
teedoff00;983035 said:
Hey I had this same problem getting my crank pulley bolt loose. I just took a torch (small coleman one) and heated up the bolt quite a bit (not cherry red but hot!) and popped a snap-on impact gun on there and it came right out. I tried for hours with a breaker bar, several impact guns, etc. NO luck, amazing what a little heat will do, just dont get it too hot...
Good luck

Hey...now that's an idea that I hadn't thought of. I like it! :naughty:

Thanks...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Only one problem...the crank pulley (dampner) has rubber in it ;)
Plus, I wouldn't re-use that bolt.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I've got some new upgrades coming and I'll be installing them here in a few weeks. At that time, I'll go ahead and pull the radiator and hit it with my impact. That may not break it free; but, at least I'll have more options with the radiator being out of the way.

I wonder if the previous owner put the bolt on with JB Weld...?? :biglaugh:

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
CajunKenny said:
I took off a tranny inspection plate (driver's side) and wedged a screwdriver in there. I have a HUGE-O-La breaker bar and pipe; but, I can't break it loose. Well, I probably can; but, I'm afraid to pull any harder.

You had it right the first time, Kenny.

Just man up, hit the gym, you won't hurt anything besides your arm.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Frank Rizzo;983347 said:
You had it right the first time, Kenny.

Just man up, hit the gym, you won't hurt anything besides your arm.

Yeah, ya know what's really funny about your statement is that I almost broke my stinking collar bone! I couldn't get enough on it by pushing so I started pulling. Fortunately, I had my head and face out of the way when the 2' 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet gave way because the pipe that I had on the ratchet hit me right on the collar bone. Gashed me open and everything.

So...after a nearly broken collar bone, smiley face cut, broken ratchet, and a bloody shirt...I decided to give it a rest! :biglaugh:

I almost cried...:cry: :biglaugh:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I have a 2' breaker bar also; but, it was bending and about to break and that's why I switched to the 2' ratchet. The ratchet is much thicker.

Oh yeah! I've been taught the same childhood rules. Don't cut toward yourself...don't pull breaker bars with leverage pipes toward you...don't pee agains the wind...don't eat yellow snow... The whole bit!

But as stated I couldn't get the same leverage pushing as I could by pulling.

It's all good though. I'm just glad I didn't hurt my baby. I'll heal a lot easier than it would be to repair a dent! :biglaugh: