if you own a Mishimoto rad for you Supra, please read this.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I have contacted Mishimoto. They told me they are going to being looking into the potential problem of the stock fan blade impacting the rad core. Whats happening is the fan blade tips are hitting the lip of the top end tank, if it catches just right, this happens:

p1000303d.jpg

I'm moving onto my 4th. Someone else in another thread spoke up and said he has the same issue. If you own one with a stock clutch fan, please check for any impact damage to your fan blade tips carefully. If anything shows impact, be sure to check your radiator core. Please report back because if this is more than just an isolated incident, they will redesign so its not an issue anymore. If possible, post pictures.

I have always been in support of Mishimoto since i've owned them. They improved my temps significantly, even over my $500 Fluidyne, and the warranty is simply unbeatable, so don't be scared if you were thinking of purchasing one, this issue may only be effecting a small percentage of users.

Edit: if you are running a fan shroud (I was not), be sure to check that for impact as well (where the tips of the blade would meet it) since it will only add more depth to the lip of the rad.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Its good to hear I wasnt the only one with this problem, I am on radiator number 3 and will be calling them tomorrow to let them know aswell. Thanks for posting a tread about this. What have they told you?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^Anything I know is in the original post so far. Hopefully people will speak up as I know many of the members on here run them.

whitemike;1601404 said:
I wonder if there would be any consequence to shaving a small amount off the tip of the fan blade. Actually, what about modifying the rad support brackets to pull it closer to the nose of the car?

Already have done this, still impacted.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Thanks for checking guys. Anyone know if the dimensions of the gte vs ge fan are different short of the number of blades? I'm curious If this has anything to do with it. Another suspicion of mine is power output. More power, the more movement the engine/blade will have, also the faster acceleration of the fan potentially will cause it to flex more.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I read this last night and when I jacked up the car this morning to change the oil I took the opportunity to check out my MP rad. No damage to the rad, but my stock fan shroud wasn't so lucky:

p1601696_1.jpg

p1601696_2.jpg

p1601696_3.jpg

p1601696_4.jpg

Damn. This is my second Mishimoto rad, and the first that I've actually used. Tell Mishimoto that if they're gonna claim it to be fully direct bolt-on and reliable that maybe they should scale back the thickness a quarter of an inch or so and make all the holes line up. Maybe even make the shroud fit closer to the rad, too (and evenly).

mechanix0889

Sep 14, 2008
reynoldsburg ohio
umm i hadt this problem with a 2jz fan on my 2jz in my mkiii it took out my cxracing radiator within 5 mins after filing it i took 1/2 inch off and it stopped hitting.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
A. Jay;1601696 said:
I read this last night and when I jacked up the car this morning to change the oil I took the opportunity to check out my MP rad. No damage to the rad, but my stock fan shroud wasn't so lucky:

Damn. This is my second Mishimoto rad, and the first that I've actually used. Tell Mishimoto that if they're gonna claim it to be fully direct bolt-on and reliable that maybe they should scale back the thickness a quarter of an inch or so and make all the holes line up. Maybe even make the shroud fit closer to the rad, too (and evenly).

I had a feeling this may happen. Its why I didn't install the shroud, I didn't want it destroyed. All you can do is call them and make them aware of the issue so they know its more widespread. If you know anyone else that has one, tell them to check as well. Your stock shroud may have in fact saved your radiator...this time. Another hit like that and its the core.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
mine did the same thing. I just bent the little lip on the core support down and it moved the radiator another 3/8's of an inch towards the front of the car. And that fixed the clearance problems.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
I bent the lip on the back of the front support, and even used zipties to pull the radiator away from the fan as much as possible. Hit boost and it was fatally wounded lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
IwantMKIII;1601788 said:
I had a feeling this may happen. Its why I didn't install the shroud, I didn't want it destroyed. All you can do is call them and make them aware of the issue so they know its more widespread. If you know anyone else that has one, tell them to check as well. Your stock shroud may have in fact saved your radiator...this time. Another hit like that and its the core.

Not a lot of protection now lol I'll call them and post results.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^Good luck. The guy to speak with is named Pat. He's who I spoke with, and the more calls he gets, the more he'll do to try to resolve the issue.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
dubsupra209;1602037 said:
you shouldn't have to when it says direct bolt on...i heard a lot of bad things about mishimoto that's why i just picked up a flydline..

Having owned both, besides this issue, mishimoto is superior in performance. Build quality may lack compared to a fluidyne, helll mine actually lasted through a fire, but the point of a performance radiator is to perform and the fluidyne simply lacks in that category especially for the price.

Last edited: