Jeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
tfhorst;1925540 said:
it is just a couple nuts on the throttle body i think.

Nothing there that you should be messing with to change idle.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
Sorry for the misinformation.

I don't understand why they would give you the adjustment there and also make the ecu control it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ecu controls the idle. Just need everything working properly and the throttle plate/tps/ dash pot adjusted to spec and it will idle perfect all the time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
tfhorst;1926507 said:
..I don't understand why they would give you the adjustment there and also make the ecu control it..

I'm unsure what you're talking about. If the throttle stop it's not there to control idle even though it effects it. If the factory air bypass screw on early model throttle bodies it's there to set the valve's pintle within the window of position needed for the full range of control. Does that make sense? Put simply, what Poodles said.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
i think i understand what your saying.

to be honest i am not sure what a lot of the parts on the throttle body are there for, it seems like a much simpler design would have worked just as well.

i think i am looking at the throttle stop....well the second throttle stop. i will throw up a pic...20130328_003207.jpg

not sure if you can see that well but there is a ?vacuum? switch right below it that controls where the adjustment screw stops.

thanks for explaining btw

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I believe that's just a dampener that keeps the throttle from slamming shut (I took that off mine, I like my throttle to slam shut :rofl:)

there's this thing called a IAC valve... it's a pretty simple concept

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
TF: That's a dashpot. As 89jdm said it slows throttle closing. The little check valve-like thingy connected to it makes air flow out slower than it flows in. It's an emissions device. By slowing throttle closure a little air sneaks past the throttle plate to completely burn fuel that's already been injected. See the TSRM for details.

Since it can hold the throttle open it also can effect idle speed. Yet another reason why stuff on the TB must be set up in a particular order with the TPS last. As for the idle control system being a simple concept it depends on how one chooses (or is able) to look at it. Like all things it's simple on the surface. In depth, not so much.