San Antonio, Tx.
Compression checked.
Cylinder 1 - 120psi
2 - 140
3 - 135
4 - 135
5 - 140
6 - 140

Looks like #1 cylinder is too low. Heck, they're all low according to TSRM. I went to my friends shop to check my timing. His timing gun was broke. When I jumped E1 and Te1 codes 24, 31, & 34 flashed. All pointing to the AFM for the most part. It is plugged in, but the map ecu wire harness is also jumped into the main harness. Map ecu is disconnected though. Not sure if that's causing a short or not. I pulled the main fuse to reset codes, but the same one come up. Not that all that matters now cause I'm on a hurt motor. Oh well.

Last edited:

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Sounds like I need to check my dist, idling around 950 once warmed up. Thanks for the info!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Here's an update:
You guys remember when my idle was hunting around and dying out at times? Last time I replaced my cps oring because it was leaking. I line up the hole with the notch on the cps and put it back in with the crank pulley showing 0 piston #1 at TDC on the compression stroke. I didn't pull timing cover to confirm the cam pulley marks where lined up correctly at that time.

Anyhow, I just came back from the garage working on the car. I pulled the timing cover, and lined up the cam pulley marks correctly on the compression stroke. I gained access to the cps and carefully pulled it out to observe the cps alignment marks. They were way off! I'm thinking it's because I was lazy and didn't confirmed the cam sprocket marks last time. Anyhow, idle is rock solid once again and not dying out.

What about the low compression and 9% leakage you ask? What about it? I'm going to ride this shit out until it's no more. I am not going to put any more money into this 7m. Maybe a turbo, but that's it. But as far as the motor goes... nope.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Poodles;1948930 said:
Low cylinder 1 is probably overtorqued timing belt tensioner...

Dammit, I should have double checked it when I had the timing cover off. It's easy to access it again, but I'm lazy and it take me some time to get out to the garage to do anything. It's hot around here ya know. I should have loosened that bolt completely and did a compression and leak down test to see if that's what it could be. I'm sure I didn't over tighten it cause I'm awesome, but you never know. Kinda like the time I put my clutch disc in backwards... it happens. I'm still awesome though.