ice (woohoo)

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
ok so there was ice on our blacktop driveway this morning (which is a big steep curving road that goes up the side of a hill to our house at the top) and it was scary going down that hill. at the bottom its like a 990 degree turn left or right to get on the road and if you cant stop you go past the road into a ditch/orchard.

on the way back up the hill i got over in the left lane and got some momentum and by the grace of god i somehow am now sitting in my room on my computer. The supra was sideways like the whole way through that big curve. it was kinda fun but a little scary.

so in a few minutes im going to go get the snow tires put on my rims and some sand bags as my supra is my dd.

does anyone have any tips for driving this thing in the snow. its an automatic, and my first rwd car, my last car was a paseo and it did great in the snow so i need all of the advice i can get about driving with these conditions .

thx

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
You should be good on the snow tires - just realize it's going to react differently than your old car.

Your best bet is to find an open parking lot and have some fun the first time you get some snow/ice.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cry4me_sky said:
ok so there was ice on our blacktop driveway this morning (which is a big steep curving road that goes up the side of a hill to our house at the top) and it was scary going down that hill. at the bottom its like a 990 degree turn left or right to get on the road and if you cant stop you go past the road into a ditch/orchard.

on the way back up the hill i got over in the left lane and got some momentum and by the grace of god i somehow am now sitting in my room on my computer. The supra was sideways like the whole way through that big curve. it was kinda fun but a little scary.

so in a few minutes im going to go get the snow tires put on my rims and some sand bags as my supra is my dd.

does anyone have any tips for driving this thing in the snow. its an automatic, and my first rwd car, my last car was a paseo and it did great in the snow so i need all of the advice i can get about driving with these conditions .

thx
So you have to turn 2 and 3/4 full turns to get out of your drive way?? ;)

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
IJ. said:
So you have to turn 2 and 3/4 full turns to get out of your drive way?? ;)
its a big gentele gurve all of the way down until it hits the main road.

if you saw the road from the top and ignored the fact that it goes up a hill it would look like a big O shape... or mayb a big C

i leave my driveway facing west and when ime coming out to the T in the road im facing south. but i go the long way around the compass...... if that helps.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
All I can think of everytime I hear about somebody sliding around in the snow and/or ice is...another MkIII rusting away to nothing.

L.A. sucks in a lot of ways, but at least the weather doesn't slowly eat my car.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprabad said:
All I can think of everytime I hear about somebody sliding around in the snow and/or ice is...another MkIII rusting away to nothing.

L.A. sucks in a lot of ways, but at least the weather doesn't slowly eat my car.

Keep it clean and no worries - I have a few specs of rust on my oil pan, but that's it.

I have to admit though, after they coat the roads with salt here, I cringe as I hear all the little pebbles hitting my undercarriage.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Yeah there is no way I'm going to let anything even build up on my mk3 this winter, be it salt, snow, or ice. Its just going to mean a little extra effort on my part though.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

my brother drives a cavalier and my mom drives a corolla both fwd.

i was the only one in my family who could make it up the hill... including my girlfriend who has snow tires on her Taurus.. i just had to sit there and correct it as it slid slowly sideways up the hill...... everyone else had to park at the bottom and walk up... it was awesome because they were all telling me my car would be terrible this winter.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
I have always had great luck in both my supras in snow versus fwd. even though they are supposed to get around better in the snow. maybe its because its a five speed and you can rock it.