I remember the days....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had my first kid by 20, second kid by 21, couldn't pay bills on time, had handmade furniture (amazing what you can do with wire spools and milk crates...
Today, I stand having raised 6 kids with everyday being a financial hurdle, 3 grand kids and l rent.
Kill the Supra, steal all my worldly possessions, scam me for all my cash... But don't touch my family.

If all that I have accomplished the kids are the only worthwhile things I have done. I never let my financial status interfere with my desire for family and have zero regrets in that area.. The rest is all candy.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Grandavi;1902972 said:
I had my first kid by 20, second kid by 21, couldn't pay bills on time, had handmade furniture (amazing what you can do with wire spools and milk crates...
Today, I stand having raised 6 kids with everyday being a financial hurdle, 3 grand kids and l rent.
Kill the Supra, steal all my worldly possessions, scam me for all my cash... But don't touch my family.

If all that I have accomplished the kids are the only worthwhile things I have done. I never let my financial status interfere with my desire for family and have zero regrets in that area.. The rest is all candy.

WOW man, you sound like you have the perfect life, a family, a home and a supra. what more can a guy ask for?.
my family is pushing me to get married, and i want to soo bad, 26 and still a virgin is not good for my junk, but money is tight.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeh I'll be honest guys my IQ is 165 I'm what could be considered level 1 autistic (think aspergers syndrome,) (that's why my social skills are complete SHIT), but I don't actually do any budgeting on paper, it's all just felt out in my head... (I would always do my math in my head in classes and would be labeled a cheater as a result) I figure I clear ~ $500 a month to spend on car parts/whatever.... I used to smoke a lot of grass to kill my depression as I'm moderately bipolar (lots of off-shoot disorders and or phantom symptoms from aspergers) But being honest with myself... smoking would interfere too much with my appetite/sleep/ability to process thoughts/ect. So in the past partying and killing my anxiety/depression would easily murder my budget. I'm ridiculously uncomfortable at the thought of ingesting man-made drugs though.

@ mjsn1.... From my readings and study I understand it to be a good thing to abstain from sexual relations (or reproduction) as it conserves your life force/energy... In your case and mine I believe we most likely need that bit of energy to get where we're going... I'm still nowhere near there.

@ grandavi... I do have alot of respect for your values and what you stand for... what you've done in your life is by far one of the most meaningful ways to spend it... I know, I'm probably not saying much, but words are cheap, what do you expect? ::shrug::

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
89jdm7m;1903004 said:
@ mjsn1.... From my readings and study I understand it to be a good thing to abstain from sexual relations (or reproduction) as it conserves your life force/energy... In your case and mine I believe we most likely need that bit of energy to get where we're going... I'm still nowhere near there.

Thats some deep buddha shit your talking about man, where's my bong? LoL.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
scottiedawg66;1902565 said:
I hear that, ca taxes suck.

Don't even get me started on inflation

1998 (year I graduated HS) - Full tank of gas, carton of cigarettes, and a 20oz Coke = $20
2012 - Full tank of gas, carton of cigs, no Coke = $120+
an increase of 600%

1998 - $5.15 min wage = $206/wk @ 40 hrs
2012 - $7.25 min wage = $290/wk @ 40 hrs
an increase of about 29%, median wage was 28.8k to 43k or about 33%

The biggest hit I saw was 9/11. Gas prices doubled literally overnight and have yet to fall to the old prices. This has since caused inflation across the board as shipping got more expensive and everything has to be shipped to get to you...

That being said I've learned to deal with it and prioritize.
Bills, savings, and groceries come first, in that order.
Then upkeep on possessions/self (car, computer, house, ie my RAM died last weekend so I spent $70 on 16GB and no more BSOD, it snowed and our shovels were $@!$ so I spent $20 on a new one).
Then comes extras/upgrades saved for separately.

I've also learned to watch sales and not be uptight about thrift store items. I got 2 pairs of Dockers khakis for work for $40. Jeans were a Christmas present. Most of my work shirts were $1 each from yard sales or thrift stores.

Working harder has also played a role. I was out of work for 4 months and took a 'temporary' opportunity upgrading a corporation to Win 7 knowing full well I was on my butt in 6 months. Regardless I showed up on time or early every day, worked my a$$ off, and didn't complain. The employer took note and I was leading a team after 2 months and ended up being one of 5 people they kept after the contract ended (out of about 30).

It's extremely slow going right now as I just got engaged and all my savings are going towards the wedding. The Supra is basically sitting until after the wedding and even then it's not my first priority by any means. The house gets paint before the Supra...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Suprapowaz!(2);1902668 said:
89jdm7m, who is that in your avatar and what's in his mouth. I've always wondered.

LOL!- I've also wondered about this- for YEARS!

89JDM7M- I see your parts list- brakes and flywheel- are you looking for front calipers and stock flywheel? I have these.
Fr. calipers were rebuilt 2yrs ago, and the flywheel looks fine(from a motor I bought.) LMK if these would help you. I'm just down the road in ATL, and
would let them go cheap-cheap.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Times are definately tougher. Almost twenty years ago, I would build a deck for four to five dollars a foot labor. Now I'm lucky to get four dollars a foot labor. I used to get four dollars a linear foot labor building wooden fences. Now you're lucky to get two dollars a linear foot. Everybody that loses their job buys a hammer and a saw and decides to become a carpenter. Some people don't care if someones only been doing this for a few months. They'll hire them instead of me if they think they'll save a hundred dollars. I can't compete with all the new comers that hire out their workers at seven and eight dollars an hour and don't carry any insurance, workman's comp, etc. I also have a million dollar bond that covers me in case I screw something up royally. (knocks on wood, throws salt over my shoulder and all that good stuff because I've never had to use it.) I also pay my two main workera sixteen and seventeen dollars an hour. So here it is twenty years later costing six times as much to live and I'm making less money. Luckily for me, I'm a pretty good poker player. Sometimes I make more playing cards in a night than I do working all week.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
I sold my Supra because, being a broke college student, I simply couldn't afford to maintain it. I didn't want to see it become a broke down piece of shit by my own hand. I make just enough money to survive, and it sucks. But, I loved my MK3, and some day, when I have the money, I definitely want to buy another, more well-kept example. MK3s are too awesome not to want one, and the Supramania community is great too.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
...I'm a gigolo at a local retirement home for side work...
It don't pay much, but I get alot of decent casseroles.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
shit im stuck with school payments and tons of bills and on top of that im married lol. so for me is freaking tough, i got my wife buying my clothes at times, she is the one keeping clothes on my back, but i put the food on the table :p but i really wont ask the wife for money to work on the supra... wouldnt wanna to ruin marriage over a supra lol

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
So basically..... Most of us mk3 owners are broke and poor..... And people still wonder (well not wonder but always label the mk4 as the real supra) why mk4's with their 2J's are faster..... Hmmmm

franky2fingaz

Nov 10, 2012
The windsor
When I was young I always wanted an MK3 but is was nearly impossible (HiSchool grad in 94) so even used ones were expensive.. fast forward 'till now, after having a business (shop), built several cars (mostly old Bimmers) MK3s are back in my thoughts as I've seen one drive by (super rare here) and spun my brain into deep thoughts of what it would look/drive like. I'm eccused of the same stereotype about the MK3: flimsy cheesy underpowered coupes, but the truth is it's very little different from MK4s and a excellent platform for some raw power and handling (after stitch welding a hardtop)... but now we students and broke... again

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mjsn1;1902593 said:
And in saudi arabia there is no such thing as taxes and its less then half a dollar a gallon for gas, i just dont know where all the money is going, wait a second, let me look at my self.......... when did i get this fat.
Trade you SA for CA? ;)

Grandavi;1902594 said:
I have solid work, good pay, food on the table and can shit in a warm bathroom... I consider myself blessed...

Money doesn't make you happy, its just makes life different.
Wise words sir, as well as grace. These are the things in life that really matter in the long run.

As for money not making you happy, I find that when I had more time, I was happier, generally speaking. Now there are so many more things competing for said time, it becomes more difficult prioritizing. However, having a better paying job now than I ever thought I would have has most certainly sped up parts gathering for the Supra. I'm within ~$6000-7000 to being done in that regard. :D

Sside;1903240 said:
So basically..... Most of us mk3 owners are broke and poor..... And people still wonder (well not wonder but always label the mk4 as the real supra) why mk4's with their 2J's are faster..... Hmmmm
Remember, there are always exceptions to the rules. ;)

Also, if anyone is curious, I have a "how to live with a Supra" writeup posted in off topic, it is linked in my sig if you care to read my thoughts on the subject from about 2008 or so...

franky2fingaz;1903246 said:
...a excellent platform for some raw power and handling (after stitch welding a hardtop)...
Had a buddy of mine start doing that in his spare time... in 2004. Car still isn't done haha, but his has been an inspiration to me for what is possible with a car if you put your mind and devotion to it.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
te72;1903247 said:
Trade you SA for CA? ;)

No way, you can keep Cali and its good weather, we only have three monthes of winter and the rest of the year is hot scorching weather, this is my only excuse for not taking the car out of the garadge.

supranz

May 23, 2010
Christchurch
Before you yanks start to complain about gas prices you should thank god you don't live here in New Zealand. At the current exchange rate a gallon of premium petrol here costs $7USD. Costs me roughly $100USD to fill up the Supra. Can't actually remember the last time I filled it up.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Suprapowaz!(2);1902668 said:
89jdm7m, who is that in your avatar and what's in his mouth. I've always wondered.

I'm fairly certain I remember (from years ago), that is his father wearing lipstick.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
supranz;1903794 said:
Before you yanks start to complain about gas prices you should thank god you don't live here in New Zealand. At the current exchange rate a gallon of premium petrol here costs $7USD. Costs me roughly $100USD to fill up the Supra. Can't actually remember the last time I filled it up.

I pay about 1.19 Cdn per litre currently for premium (turbo needs the octane)
Think it's about 85.00 to fill and lucky to get 450 km on a tank...
I just consider it a part of life... Think it's almost 5.00 a gallon (can't remember because there are more than one "gallon" size

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, it's pretty close to a buck a litre for Premium at the Costcos here currently. About $1.08 most stations. Gas prices just took a drop around here.

A US gallon is 3.78 litres, so that's something over $4.00/US gallon.

An imperial gallon (As in, what everyone in the world outside of the USA calls 'a gallon') is 4.55 litres.