I pray to god its not

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
A BHG!!! Okay... My car doesn't overheat with the thermostat out. (obviously) But when I install the thermostat it starts to overheat. But only when I'm driving it. Its fine at idle. The radiator is full with 50/50. I can drive the car and it overheats. Well I figured out that if I get out and relieve the pressure in the radiator while the car is still running, it cools down. (quick) Dumb but it works. And thats it until next time I drive the car. The thermostat is new. There is no water in the oil and no oil in the water. ???????????? HELP

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Try a new radiator cap and pressure test the whole system for leaks.

And stop letting it overheat or that will cause a BHG.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
IJ.;1318295 said:
Tested the thermostat yet?
(pot of water on the stove and watch it to see if it ever opens)

Yeah I tested the thermostat. Works fine. Its new. I had a fail safe one time those work great. No leaks. All hoses have been replaced. I did put a shorter hose on the bottom. But haven't changed the cap yet.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did you cut the jiggle valve off? I've had a new T-stat held closed by the pressure behind it. Removing the juggle valve fixed it.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
jdub;1318364 said:
Did you cut the jiggle valve off? I've had a new T-stat held closed by the pressure behind it. Removing the juggle valve fixed it.

Its still there. But isn't it there for a reason.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
NTRA08;1318150 said:
My car doesn't overheat with the thermostat in. (obviously) But when I install the thermostat it starts to overheat.

What does that mean?

I'm assuming it means the car doesn't overheat with the thermostat out. If so what does the temperature gage show under those conditions. Lower than normal, normal, or higher?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
jetjock;1318408 said:
What does that mean?

I'm assuming it means the car doesn't overheat with the thermostat out. If so what does the temperature gage show under those conditions. Lower than normal, normal, or higher?
Sorry about that. I should have seen that.:nono:

With the thermostat out it runs lower than normal. Unless I'm sitting in traffic. With it in it starts to get past normal so I relieve the pressure and it goes down. The motor has never overheated. I just mean it starts to get above normal and keeps going until I relieve the pressure. But I fix it every time before it gets too hot.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Is the impeller still on the shaft? Is the radiator look ok on the inside? Is there dirt on the outside, between the intercooler and radiator? Does it flow good, even though it looks ok on the inside?

You must look at how it operates(the cooling system) to decide what is wrong.

After you determine it works as designed, and has no fault, then you move to what is causing excess heat in the engine.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
tissimo;1318427 said:
What do you mean relieve the pressure?
I do the stupid thing and turn the radiator cap with a towel while the car is on. Dumb huh. but it works. I just turn it a little. not enough to where it shoots off.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Nick M;1318430 said:
Is the impeller still on the shaft? Is the radiator look ok on the inside? Is there dirt on the outside, between the intercooler and radiator? Does it flow good, even though it looks ok on the inside?

You must look at how it operates(the cooling system) to decide what is wrong.

After you determine it works as designed, and has no fault, then you move to what is causing excess heat in the engine.

Its a new radiator. No condenser. So I have good air flow. No dirt or anything. Inside of the radiator looks like it should. And I don't know about the impeller shaft. I haven't checked it yet.