I looked at 10 Supra's before I found THIS ONE ---> Build Up

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Ordered hardpipes from a member. I think they have been whored from member to member, but we'll see. They are custom welded steel from turbo to TB - here is a pic.

Within the next 3 business days, I will be receiving my MBC, Prosport elec. boost gauge, AEM Uego, 3" test pipe, and EGR solenoid for MBC bypass. I'll install my modded stock AFM with air screw completely out. I'll get it all in and do a basic street tune with my neo, and hopefully make it to a local dyno for a pull.

Goals: Tire spin in 2nd gear and need for a helmet at local drag strip (13.99 or under).

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Pics to come soon.

I installed my Cooleeze DP and test pipe w/ wideband installed. Drove the car for a night with open test pipe until it could be welded. What a HUGE let down to have it welded. The power between open test pipe and stock cat-back was DAY AND NIGHT. I went from 9psi on stock boost, to 7psi after the stock cat-back was utilized again. The car spun my 255's on a wet road in second gear that first night - consistently.

Last night, I put in the lotek pod with a prosport elec. boost gauge and the AEM UEGO. Both seem to be working great.

Two questions to subscribers:

I tired playing with the AFC Neo at 750-1500 rpm. It seemed like I was making changes to the AFR when I was doing +/- on the Neo, but it generally went back to where it began (roughly stoich). Am I fighting the stock 02 sensor and what it tells the ECU to do? Is this a open/loop closed loop issue? I was going roughly +/-5 to try to see changes - I didn't think I should go a ton more than that until I do some research. I am going to put my no-air-screw AFM on soon and i'll need to richen up for it, so I want to be comfortable with the Neo.

Edit: Pieced together several posts today and figured this out. Yes, I am fighting the closed-loop system. It's correcting my changes.

Also, will the boost drop to 7-8 psi by redline if set the MBC to 10-11psi on the stock cat-back? (This is generally a "who's had this setup?" question) The night I was open-test-pipe, I was 9psi to redline. The difference from stock was amazingly different. I have doubts that it will ever feel like it did that night without a giant exhaust, regardless of where I set the MBC. I really expected to have the near affect of a 3" exhaust from going 3" to the test pipe. Apparently it's close enough down-stream to still give me back pressure. A lot compared to open. So, I was very wrong.

Now wishing I went BIC DDP. Would a recirc DDP take away some power over an open DDP? I'd assume. I want to get a DDP now, but don't want it open - I like a quiet exhaust for daily driving. If the recirc wouldn't be much of a difference over my 3" cooleeze, I won't waste the time or money.

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
This picture is teh sex!

DSC04558.JPG

Now put a lip on her!

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Ahhh, so you were the one who grabbed those rsr springs from ms07s before I could. The stance looks awesome. Nice work with the pre '89 molding on the '89+ tails.

Btw, mentioned it before, but my friend with a '96 cobra has the same rims, very possible though that '94s had them also.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Update

Well, I had me some fun in the garage this weekend.

Summary:
-Ran EGR solenoid (for boost), MBC set to 10psi
-Blacked out the Propsport bezel
-Installed 6.5" Speaker Pods from a 91 with Alpine type-s component speakers, along with infinity reference 4" speakers in the rear
-Swapped out dash lights for green LED, which were taken out within hours because they sucked. Stock FTW, apparantly.
-Cold start injector replacement
-Installed the no-air-screw 7M AFM

So, I began Saturday morning by doing my speaker swap. Everything went well, except for the need to cut the speaker pods to house the giant-magnet Alpine speakers. The difference in sound is unbelievable and it is on the list of the best things i've done to the car that didn't give it more power.

I then swapped my electronics into my no-air-screw AFM. Very straight forward.

I then got the cluster out and replaced all of the dash lights with these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=120122531512) and these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=280237022933). They sucked. They are dim and don't have as broad of a range in dimming due to the LED. I took them out because I really wasn't happy with them.

The silver bezel on the prosport gauge stood out, so I painted it black. Masking tape and satin black FTW.

p1089344_1.jpg

I gotta call prosport - it reads 1 psi too low. The second prosport i've had that did this.

The gauge was too bright at night to be that close to my face, so I used static-cling window tint (2 layers) and it worked awesome. It's almost the same green as the factory dash lights now.

p1089344_2.jpg

Next, the cold start injector. The car starts rough when cold and take 3-4 seconds to get to a good idle when first turned over. CS injector seemed likely to be bad. Well, I put in a used one which I was told is good - didn't fix the problem. I'll investigate farther.

I then wired up the switch for my EGR solenoid. I'd P'shop a picture of the setup, but i'm not in the mood. I HIGHLY recommend this setup. It's VERY inexpensive and totally F&%^$ cool.

I put a vaccum tee after the turbo pressure nipple. One line to the solenoid, one line through the MBC and into another port of the solenoid. The solenoid then has one port out to the wastegate. Give it 12V and it switches ports. Works like a dream.

I used this switch so I see a red LED when i'm in hi-boost mode. It fits perfect next to the HKS TT.

Light off, boost low.

p1089344_3.jpg

Light on, boost high.

p1089344_4.jpg

Now to the part that sucks. Setting the MBC. I sat at a table with a compressor and a pressure gauge. I tried to figure out how the hell to set it to 10psi on the bench and had little luck. I was using the compressor regulator at 10psi, and turning the knob until it let about 7psi to the outlet of the MBC. Put it on the car, fail.

I hit fuel cut (yes, I know, it's ignition) for the first time ever and my god did I know it. I spiked to about 15psi (on the gauge, so possibly higher). This got me thinking about my new AFM. I installed this so that I could make 14psi and not worry about fuel cut, but I may be out of luck. My gauge should be quick - it's a Prosport Electric. It may take time for the vaccum line to equalize in pressure, so I will find out. I may not be able to run much higher than 11psi without cut. With the Neo, I should be able to get it to a point where 14psi is ok'd by the ECU.

I FINALLY got the boost set at 10psi. It was going between stock boost and 12+psi within a half of a turn, so getting to that range took time.

The car feels much much better. Turns second over in the rain at 4k and full boost.

This week I should be getting my cooleeze hardpipes C/O 89targaT. My buddy got my the HKS 3000 pipe for my to-come 21st B-day. I think its my favorite MK3 goodie in existence so I can't wait.

Once the pipes are on, I turn up to 13-14 psi.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Clutch master cylinder started to leak last night FTL!

It's ok, now I have a reason to take up a garage bay. Next time the car is driving, it should have cooleeze hardpipes and a Dr. J MBC at 14psi.

Bring on the fun...

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Clutch MC fixed. Top firewall-mounting stud sucked to get at.

Started installing cooleeze hardpipes. What a pain the ass. It has taken hours to get all the couplers on get a good bite on the end of the pipes. I wish my couplers were softer (I was told they are from driftmotion). I know they are good couplers and this is why they are thick and stiff (giggity), but what a pain the ass to work with.

I did a slightly custom setup to run my Bosch 110 from the SSQV port. I'll post pics when my SSQV snap ring comes in and it is done.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
i'm interested to see how the bosch adapter thing works. i have the cooleeze pipes and would like to use a bosch bpv as well. could you make another?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
87witmoreboost;1098073 said:
Started installing cooleeze hardpipes. What a pain the ass. It has taken hours to get all the couplers on get a good bite on the end of the pipes. I wish my couplers were softer (I was told they are from driftmotion). I know they are good couplers and this is why they are thick and stiff (giggity), but what a pain the ass to work with.

I got a 4 ft tube of 4ply 2.5" hose from a truck shop and cut it to size to fit my cooleeze pipes. Wayyyyyy better than the ones they sent...of which I blew out two.:biglaugh: Also upgraded to t-bolts while I was at it!

87witmoreboost;1098073 said:
I did a slightly custom setup to run my Bosch 110 from the SSQV port. I'll post pics when my SSQV snap ring comes in and it is done.

Cool! I want to see how you did that!