How to tune ? Newbie

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I have a 89 mk3 turbo with a larger intercooler and piping. 3 inch exhaust. And intake. That is how I bought it

I'm planning on putting 550 injectors and Lexus afm upgrade this winter while everything is apart. I also plant on getting a 57 trim,Fpr, and other little things

Now do you I have to tune the engine after I get these upgrades because with the larger afm and injectors won't the computer think it is same amount of air is going in as before

And if I have to tune do I need a stand alone or can I get by with a piggy back and what is the best piggy back system and where can I buy them .

Is there anything else that involves tuning these cars? I'm use to working on my ford diesel and tuneing is a lot easier lol

Thank you any help or any info about tuning is appreciated

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
The concept of 550/lex arm mod is that they are both 25% increases over the stock components so no tuning is required but however this sometimes is not the case.

A piggy back can be used but standalone is better.

Mart pro is the best piggy back on the market in my opinion. Maftpro.com

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I would suggest to at least get a wideband gauge so you can keep an eye on a/f ratio. As long as the a/f stays withing reasonable values you don't need a tune.
If you do need to tune i would suggest either Maft-pro for a piggyback or just go full standalone.

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
Hey guys, I'm actually doing something similar to what zrain25 is doing. Just wondering what exactly is a safe air fuel ratio under boost?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Im running maft pro in speed density(best mod i have done yet)
There's so many different features you can adjust and parameters to set
timing, boost, fuel(i have yet to mess with timing control)
23psi here on stock ct(yes i know its past its limits)

Depending on boost level i would have a 12:1 afr for anything from 1-10psi...anything 10psi to 20psi i would do 11.5 and anything over 20psi 11.0(where mine is set)

Maft pro is nice but its a PITA to tune around fuel cut(im not to experienced with tuning which is why i only have tuned my cars) and tuning to make ecu happy
Other wise anything that you do that the ecu doesnt like it will try to correct you
Like if you add to much fuel at 2000rpm the ecu will lean it out(its a whore lol)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
jonahs_supra;1890129 said:
you can run a neo
IIRC there was a few neo's that had to be sent back to be reprogammed? (im not 100% sure on this)

It was either the NEO's or the SAFC's.....either way check in to it.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
yea im running 560 and lexus, 3in downpipe back, i/c pipeing,apexi air filter, 57trim ct26,afpr, and hks evc6
ill be using safc 2 and aem wideband to tune my car.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Ok one more question. The previous owner told me the owner before him did the head gasket. I don't know what type of hg or if he used arp studs. The hg is fine right now but if I'm going to be putting down 350 hp and 15lbs of boost I think im gunna have to put a metal hg and arp studs.

Does the head and block need to be machined to put a metal hg even if it hasn't blown yet. I know when you blow a hg it can warp the head a little and make it not seal right but my hg is fine right now so I'm wondering if I van get away without the machine shop.

Is there any other hg that will hold up With arps?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes.. lap the head and machine the block normally for a metal hg. You dont actually need ARP's.. they are just good to have. Stock head bolts will hold for what your doing. I wouldn't go over 15lbs of boost though.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would go Cometic (actually.. I am going Cometic... ).

You aint touching 500 HP with your setup... so you dont have to worry about that rating... a stock build with a Cometic headgasket will do you if everything else is fine. A stock 7MGTE can do your power goals quite fine.. as long as there isn't any weak points that you will be overstressing. Personally i wouldnt go without a metal headgasket if your going to hunt for 400+ HP.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Zrain25;1890389 said:
Ok one more question. The previous owner told me the owner before him did the head gasket. I don't know what type of hg or if he used arp studs. The hg is fine right now but if I'm going to be putting down 350 hp and 15lbs of boost I think im gunna have to put a metal hg and arp studs.

Does the head and block need to be machined to put a metal hg even if it hasn't blown yet. I know when you blow a hg it can warp the head a little and make it not seal right but my hg is fine right now so I'm wondering if I van get away without the machine shop.

Is there any other hg that will hold up With arps?

Run her til she blows!!!! lol
I did 400hp on stock headgasket and headbolts...BHG now but due to failing fan clutch

If its not your daily driver then yes i would go ahead and do MHG and arp's just to be safe
I have heard good about Titan MHG's. Its what i will be using.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
So you are saying I can run my head gasket at 400hp ? I'm gunna put arps in so that should help.

If I keep the boost under 13 lbs I think no could run it. I plant on getting the engine rebuild down the road. I just don't want to have the head and block machined right now.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wouldnt be swapping the bolts, your risking unseating the head. You can do a re-torque and providing the bolts haven't stretched you would be fine. The whole problem with running 13 lbs of boost on an "unknown" engine state is that if you have any motor problems, your gonna magnify them. If your engine is solid, 10-11lbs is pretty safe. My thoughts on it anyway. I dont like killing engines.. lol.