How to tune ? Newbie

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
The cometic hg, could I get away with not machining because its not leaking right now the hg is fine I'm just doing stuff to support the 400hp

The cometic says its better for surfaces that are hard to seal, it looks like its metal and has like a thin ruber on top of the metal

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Zrain25;1890567 said:
The cometic hg, could I get away with not machining because its not leaking right now the hg is fine I'm just doing stuff to support the 400hp

The cometic says its better for surfaces that are hard to seal, it looks like its metal and has like a thin ruber on top of the metal

NO.

If you cannot get BOTH the head and block resurfaced to the proper finish it will fail.

I opted to run a factory Toyota head gasket with arp studs at over 400whp for going on 2 years daily driven

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Just to specify "MY SETUP"
Im 2nd owner of the car with 70k miles
I was running 23psi out of the stock ct26(was past its effiency)
To my knowledge stock headbolts where never retorqued(original owner did not mention this to me when we discussed previous maintenance/repairs)

Some 7m's have been able to reach 500hp range with oem headgasket
IDK how long they last lol
For the price and while your in there do the MHG from TitanMotorSports and have no worries
Every 7m owner hates having to look at coolant temp gauge after every pull lol

Arp headstuds are torqued to 85ft/lbs if using arp moly lube

I have been thinking about using a stock headgasket with arp's and trying to reach 500hp(my goal on stock bottom end)
But if and when the OEM headgasket blows again i will then do a MHG