How to Tighten bolt on Precision turbo

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok so I had this problem with my old precision last year, and now I've run into it again.

How do you guys tighten the top right bolt on the turbo to the manifold? I have a xs power manifold.

To me it seems as if I need to pull the exhaust housing off, bolt it down, then put the rest back on.

The bolt won't fit in the top right bolt hole on the turbo, because the housing won't allow enough room for the bolt to straighten out to go through the hold. The way Im trying is I have a threaded rod, acting like a stud, in the manifold. But I can't fit a wrench between the turbine housing and compressor housing to tighten then nut.

I'm just wondering if you guys have run into this and what you did to tighten that side down.

(idk if it's just precision turbos, that's just all Ive run)

Thanks

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
i have this problem on my driftmotion turbo and manifold, i have all four studs in the manifold and i cut and grinded my open end wrench so itll fit on the nut and not hit the housing

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
mk3-4-me;1884315 said:
Ok so I had this problem with my old precision last year, and now I've run into it again.

How do you guys tighten the top right bolt on the turbo to the manifold? I have a xs power manifold.

To me it seems as if I need to pull the exhaust housing off, bolt it down, then put the rest back on.

The bolt won't fit in the top right bolt hole on the turbo, because the housing won't allow enough room for the bolt to straighten out to go through the hold. The way Im trying is I have a threaded rod, acting like a stud, in the manifold. But I can't fit a wrench between the turbine housing and compressor housing to tighten then nut.

I'm just wondering if you guys have run into this and what you did to tighten that side down.

(idk if it's just precision turbos, that's just all Ive run)

Thanks

I take off the compression cover to mount mine

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
Did the same on my Turbonetics 62-1 HiFi Bolt-on. It was the only way.

p1884421_1.jpg

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ahhh I see. Idk why I didn't think of taking the compressor housing off. lol I always wondered why I saw pics with them off.

Thanks guys!

And you guys are using studs then to instead of bolts? Im planning on having the 2 top as studs and the bottom as bolts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Studs are usually better on exhaust components (notice how pretty much every exhaust fastener is a stud from the factory)

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
I tried that, but couldn't get to all the bolts on the exhaust housing when mounted. Looks a whole lot easier to bolt to the manifold like that tho.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
mk3-4-me;1884430 said:
And you guys are using studs then to instead of bolts? Im planning on having the 2 top as studs and the bottom as bolts.

I ordered some extra long studs from NAPA (it's all they could get) and cut them to length. Good thing too because I needed pretty long ones with the turbo spacer in place.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Almost the same name as me! lol

But ya I bought a threaded rod and cut one to length to test it.

And I think I'll try the compressor part, cause like you said, idk if I would be able to get to the back housing bolts with it mounted.

Thanks

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
kotu100;1884454 said:
I take the chra off the exhaust housing and do it that way.
p1885276_1.jpg

im gunna have to try this way. even with the comporessor housing off, the back piece still blocks me from being able to get to the bolt. how did you get to the backhousing bolt at the bottom by the flange bolt? especially when its on the manifold? it look real tough to get anythign in there. Havnt actually tried yet.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I just used a 1/2" stubby open end wrench to get that rear exhaust housing bolt off. You can kinda see it on the shock tower in pic.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
ok thats what i was thinking. Ofcourse, when ever i need a 12mm i find 1/2 in wrenches, and now i cant find 1 1/2" wrench. So im going out to buy one now.