how to raise the idle speed?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MRSUPRA;1726749 said:
When at any speed lower than what you desire unplug the valve. That'll freeze it. Then adjust idle upwards to what you want.

Not sure I'm understanding this still. The problem is adjusting the idle upwards.

What JJ is telling you is that the IAC is always going to fight you to try to get the idle to where the ECU wants it.

So once you have an idle that is lower than what you want, unplug the valve, freezing it in that position, then your adjustments to idle screws or air bypass screws should become "permanent" as the ECU will have lost the ability to adjust the IAC since you've unplugged it.

hvyman;1726767 said:
You should be able to tune around the idle of the cams as well.

You have cam gears?

Bad idea. Adjustments made to cam gears apply across the entire RPM range. Adjusting cam gears to achieve a better idle will negatively effect things at high rpm's. The reason big cams idle like crap is that they are optimized for high engine speeds. It's a compromise between performance and driveability/idle quality.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Supracentral;1726902 said:
What JJ is telling you is that the IAC is always going to fight you to try to get the idle to where the ECU wants it.

So once you have an idle that is lower than what you want, unplug the valve, freezing it in that position, then your adjustments to idle screws or air bypass screws should become "permanent" as the ECU will have lost the ability to adjust the IAC since you've unplugged it.

Bad idea. Adjustments made to cam gears apply across the entire RPM range. Adjusting cam gears to achieve a better idle will negatively effect things at high rpm's. The reason big cams idle like crap is that they are optimized for high engine speeds. It's a compromise between performance and driveability/idle quality.

Thanks a lot Supracentral, that makes sense about the ISC.

And as for the cam gears, I had them adjusted for power the last time I dynoed. I made about 20 more RWHP with +4 exhaust and -1 intake.
I could do this the easy way and put the stock cams back in, but these 264's make some great power.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Lol. I WASNT talking about adjusting the cam gears for idle. Talking about the tune itself.

I was simply curious whether he had cam gears or not.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
gotcha, Theres only so much you can do to tune them in the ECU for idle, however with a stand alone and a tuner that knows what they are doing it can be done

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pity the OP got rid of the AEM, a trick I used to force it into a nice non hunting idle was to ramp up the advance one side of my idle target and pull some on the other side so the engine wants to slide into the desired idle on it's own.

I'd try JJ's suggestion as it's one way to acheive the required result, the ECU is ALWAYS going to try and pull the idle to stock if the stepper is functional no matter what screws and linkages are messed with.

A simple solution would be to disable the stepper and drill a small hole in the TB plate, increasing hole size until the idle is where you want it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Shut the engine off, letting the stepper home wide open, unplug it, then insert correct OD sized wooden dowel with orifice into the hose.

No wait. Remove ISCV housing, drill hole in end, add screw to motor shaft (or slot it) and reassemble leaving valve unplugged. Adjust idle through housing hole. That way all he'd have to do for auto idle control is plug the valve back in. Yeah, I like that better than the dowel :naughty:

Or he could home the stepper, unplug it, then clamp the hose for desired idle. That'd fit right in with many owners...

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Alright, thanks everyone. Man, I feel special with IJ in this thread..thought you would be on some gay GM motor forum.

So, do I have to let the ISC reset with the engine idling low before I unplug it?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1727255 said:
I'm not that easy to get rid of ;)

As I've said in the mod forum:

Other people have respectable nemesis'...

Holmes had Moriarty
West had Loveless
Luke had Vader
Batman had The Joker (among others)
Superman had Lex Luther (among others)
James Bond gets Goldfinger (among others)
Me? I get IJ.

What did I do when they were passing out nemesis'? I said, "Why would I want a nemesis?" They didn't tell me you had to have one until after all the good ones were taken. And some of those bastards went back and got more than one too! So I end up with IJ...

Damn you IJ. , Damn you.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1727371 said:
Firstly, you've got the order all wrong.

538e4cd9-6be4-4fc4-ac1b-4c6ce307cad8.jpg