how to raise the idle speed?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I recently switched back to the stock ECU with a VPC/AFC after getting tired of the AEM EMS I had. Now I cannot get the car to idle with my BC264 cams and oversized valves. Are there any tricks to get the idle speed up? It will just stall if the engine speed goes below 1K rpms. BTW, I'm pretty sure I don't have any idle adjustment screw on the throttlebody. Thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is a idle adjustment screw on the throttle linkage but the stock ecu is always going to try and get the idle down to 700.

Why not just get the aem properly tuned. You seem to be the only person that is tired of a standalone ecu that lets you pretty muhc do anything you want it to and run any setup.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I just feel more comfortable tuning with the stock ECU, and without having to depend on a tuner. And I believe the stock ECU is much more capable than people think.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Lol, the AEM is gone.. And I don't have time to tune all day, that's why its gone.

Any other ideas how to raise the idle?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Add a locking cable to the cabin. Pulled all the way out, it would idle at 950, or where ever you need it. Or limit the spring return of the pedal. This is assuming you aren't going to use a stand alone.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The screw is not for idle adjustment. Does nothing to idle either. Its the reason why 89+ are blocked off.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Idk. Didnt do shit on my n/a. I messed with it for a week and it didnt do nothing.

Also why do you think toyota capped them off on 89+?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
hvyman;1726670 said:
Idk. Didnt do shit on my n/a. I messed with it for a week and it didnt do nothing.

It will raise the idle on a turbo car. I haven't messed with NA's enough to see what it does on one of them.

hvyman;1726670 said:
Also why do you think toyota capped them off on 89+?

Primarily for emissions compliance reasons. It's one of the things they don't want you messing with. However, we're talking about a car with modified cams. This is well beyond what Toyota intended. We're not talking about a stock car.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
yep, It changes the idle on my car, I actually bumped my idle up to 1000 rpm due to cam timing and also alternator charging due to have a fan that pulls 60 amps at idle

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Thanks for all the responses. I have messed with the throttle linkage and I was able to get it higher, but it went too high. Just looking for some better ideas. Not sure what is meant by defeating the ICS?

I guess the idle sped screw adjustment is the way to go. My throttle body is not original, not sure what year its from. I did not see any screw to adjust or any black cap hiding it. Do you have to drill something out to get to the screw? (don't have the throttle body in front of me right now).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
MRSUPRA;1726693 said:
...Not sure what is meant by defeating the ICS?...

When at any speed lower than what you desire unplug the valve. That'll freeze it. Then adjust idle upwards to what you want. There's a bunch of other ways to do this too. I can think of at least six off the top of my head, some more complicated than others. Most involve adding another bypass path, manipulating the stock path (for example an orifice or using the PS idle up path), or simply capping the stock path off and using the stop screw/throttle plate. You could also do electrically by using the AC or headlight idle up although that may not be enough for your needs.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
hvyman;1726699 said:
If it went too high then back it down.

I wish it was that simple.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

"When at any speed lower than what you desire unplug the valve. That'll freeze it. Then adjust idle upwards to what you want."

Not sure I'm understanding this still. The problem is adjusting the idle upwards.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Use the throttle stop.

You should be able to tune around the idle of the cams as well.

You have cam gears?