How To Plasti Dip a Supra (VIDEO)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
This has to add at least 20 pounds onto the car.

FML... those "after" shots look like my car right after it was painted.
okay-meme.jpg

This is all the motivation I need to park the car for a few weeks and paint it a color that can be waxed.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Poodles;1896211 said:
Might as well rhino-line your car...

if only it was removable...

You guys do realize it doesnt HAVE to be matte finish right? If you spray it by the gallon you can mix your own colors, go metallic/pearl, and add glossifier, which lets you go from a satin all the way to a full gloss finish...

and yes, still removable (easily, if you properly clean the surface and use enough coats. too few and it comes off in small pieces).
ex:
[video=youtube;F_Dw2fVoIqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Dw2fVoIqA[/video]

You guys need to stop comparing this to a spray bomb and more as an alternative to a vinyl wrap, but much, much cheaper.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
PureDrifter;1896492 said:

You guys do realize it doesnt HAVE to be matte finish right? If you spray it by the gallon you can mix your own colors, go metallic/pearl, and add glossifier, which lets you go from a satin all the way to a full gloss finish...

and yes, still removable (easily, if you properly clean the surface and use enough coats. too few and it comes off in small pieces).
ex:

You guys need to stop comparing this to a spray bomb and more as an alternative to a vinyl wrap, but much, much cheaper.
After looking at that web site the glossifier is $66 a gallon and the base is $58 a gallon plus the everything you need to spray it why not just put that money towards a legitimate paint job? Or are people now days that indecisive to pick a color and stay with it?:dunno:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX

ex:

Yet it's not as safe as a wrap to the underlying paint.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Even wraps from what I've seen can be 'interesting' if they don't use the right types... (Di-Noc is the one I read about in particular)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston

ex:

I actually like this.... Looks like something fun to do... I dont know if I would do it if my car had good paint but if your in the market for a new paint job anyways and cant quite afford a good one this would be a great option that actually works.... I dont think its that expensive for the look the cars appear to achieve, from the video it almost looks like the frost look..... I dont have $300 to just blow away on a plasti dip kit but if it was an emergency where the paint is just soooo bad that something has to be done then this is way better than alot of the Ima just prime it black with duplicolor flat black paint people ive seen... I wonder how long this really lasts looking good.... If its anywhere near 6 months to a year then this is awesome....

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Poodles;1896499 said:
Yet it's not as safe as a wrap to the underlying paint.

based on what? Even wraps can damage paint when prepped/applied improperly, or using the wrong type of product.

Also, the total cost for 3gal of the florescent (most expensive) dip and a gallon of glossifier is LESS than $300.
I BELIEVE (but can't remember) that there's a few people who've run the flat black dips for a couple years and then showed videos of them removing it without major issue or paint problems, but i forget if it was on youtube or on the DYC forum. Longevity really depends on how many coats you apply and basically is limited by chipping and the like, as far as i can tell.

So let's weigh it out:
Pros:
-removable
-better looking than a spray can job
-options for matte/satin/gloss
-minimal surface prep
-minimal disassembly
-relatively cheap (wayy cheaper than a proper paint job, at least ~1/2-1/3 the cost of vinyl in materials alone)

Cons:
-Stigma of using plasti dip (aka haters)
-questions about long term durability
-Possible paint damage if applied improperly or to already severely damaged paint.
-not a humongous range of stock colors

All in all, I think it's a good option for someone looking for a temporary-mid length color change, or simply wanting something different. It obviously isn't a substitute for having a car repainted but for those not looking to drop $3000-5000 and up, it's a valid option.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
This is much better and they actually used the proper kit to paint it

[video=youtube;uEfbjPSt4zs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEfbjPSt4zs[/video]

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
PureDrifter;1896785 said:
based on what? Even wraps can damage paint when prepped/applied improperly, or using the wrong type of product.

Also, the total cost for 3gal of the florescent (most expensive) dip and a gallon of glossifier is LESS than $300.
I BELIEVE (but can't remember) that there's a few people who've run the flat black dips for a couple years and then showed videos of them removing it without major issue or paint problems, but i forget if it was on youtube or on the DYC forum. Longevity really depends on how many coats you apply and basically is limited by chipping and the like, as far as i can tell.

So let's weigh it out:
Pros:
-removable
-better looking than a spray can job
-options for matte/satin/gloss
-minimal surface prep
-minimal disassembly
-relatively cheap (wayy cheaper than a proper paint job, at least ~1/2-1/3 the cost of vinyl in materials alone)

Cons:
-Stigma of using plasti dip (aka haters)
-questions about long term durability
-Possible paint damage if applied improperly or to already severely damaged paint.
-not a humongous range of stock colors

All in all, I think it's a good option for someone looking for a temporary-mid length color change, or simply wanting something different. It obviously isn't a substitute for having a car repainted but for those not looking to drop $3000-5000 and up, it's a valid option.

lol, more like:

Pros:
-removable (maybe)
-better looking than a spray can job (definately not if you know what you're doing)
-options for matte/satin/gloss (i.e. old rhino-line, new rhino-line, and terrible worse-than-maaco paintjob)
-minimal surface prep (not if you want it to stick well or remove easy later)
-minimal disassembly (depends how good of a job you want to do)
-relatively cheap (wayy cheaper than a proper paint job, at least ~1/2-1/3 the cost of vinyl in materials alone) (maaco is cheaper and looks better and will last longer)

Cons:
-Stigma of using plasti dip (aka haters) (lol, all of a sudden I'm a hater for not wanting a subpar product on my car)
-questions about long term durability (definately)
-Possible paint damage if applied improperly or to already severely damaged paint. (I'd say the risk is higher than that, going to depends how long it's left on, etc)
-not a humongous range of stock colors (yep)

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Poodles;1896798 said:
lol, more like:

Pros:
-removable (maybe)
-better looking than a spray can job (definately not if you know what you're doing)
-options for matte/satin/gloss (i.e. old rhino-line, new rhino-line, and terrible worse-than-maaco paintjob)
-minimal surface prep (not if you want it to stick well or remove easy later)
-minimal disassembly (depends how good of a job you want to do)
-relatively cheap (wayy cheaper than a proper paint job, at least ~1/2-1/3 the cost of vinyl in materials alone) (maaco is cheaper and looks better and will last longer)

Cons:
-Stigma of using plasti dip (aka haters) (lol, all of a sudden I'm a hater for not wanting a subpar product on my car)
-questions about long term durability (definately)
-Possible paint damage if applied improperly or to already severely damaged paint. (I'd say the risk is higher than that, going to depends how long it's left on, etc)
-not a humongous range of stock colors (yep)
I'm not going to argue with you until you come up with some concrete evidence showing it's not removable, aren't you supposed to be known for always wanting hard proof? maaco is a joke, especially their prep work.

Are you really going to compare the massive level of prep work needed for painting a car (sanding, trim removal, priming, sanding again, etc...) to just making sure the surface of the paint is clean and free of contaminants? REALLY? Not even going to go into the difference in skill required to properly paint a car vs. the relatively forgiving process of spraying plasti dip.

A hater is a person who instead of presenting an argument with facts and evidence, bashes a product, brands it to be "crap" or "subpar", and sticks to that when counter evidence is presented.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
PureDrifter;1896816 said:
I'm not going to argue with you until you come up with some concrete evidence showing it's not removable, aren't you supposed to be known for always wanting hard proof? maaco is a joke, especially their prep work.

Gonna have to do some to properly plastidip anyway, do it yourself and your paintjob is even cheaper.

Are you really going to compare the massive level of prep work needed for painting a car (sanding, trim removal, priming, sanding again, etc...) to just making sure the surface of the paint is clean and free of contaminants? REALLY? Not even going to go into the difference in skill required to properly paint a car vs. the relatively forgiving process of spraying plasti dip.

Compare apples to apples here, if your paint is so far gone, the pastidip isn't going to stick. You'll have to prep it anyway. There really is no comparison here, the only comparison is going to be to vinyl wrap, which can be done yourself relatively cheaply, and doesn't look like the worst orange peal known to man.

What to know the difference between a crap paint job and a good one? Everyone says prep work, but you can spraybomb a car and then go back and wetsand and polish it and it will look fantastic. That's something you can't do with pastidip.

A hater is a person who instead of presenting an argument with facts and evidence, bashes a product, brands it to be "crap" or "subpar", and sticks to that when counter evidence is presented.

Correction, a "hater" is a simple term used to try and discredit someone that doesn't like what you like.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Poodles;1896833 said:
Gonna have to do some to properly plastidip anyway, do it yourself and your paintjob is even cheaper.
No, it isn't cheaper. You don't HAVE to use the most expensive colors, or glossifier. Decent paint and materials will run you more imho since you'll be buying gallons of primer, base, and clear.

Poodles;1896833 said:
Compare apples to apples here, if your paint is so far gone, the pastidip isn't going to stick. You'll have to prep it anyway. There really is no comparison here, the only comparison is going to be to vinyl wrap, which can be done yourself relatively cheaply, and doesn't look like the worst orange peal known to man.
apples to apples: if the paint's far gone, you ONLY have to sand it smooth, plasti dip will stick to damn near anything provided it's still attached to the substrate. STILL easier than stripping a car down for paint.
apples to apples: cost for enough Hexxis or Oracal (not even getting into 3M) vinyl to wrap a supra= ~$650-850, and up, depending on the line. 951 runs about a grand iirc. Plastidip, with an excess of the fanciest colors and glossifier, won't break $450.
NOTE: Don't most people vinyl their cars for matte/satin colors! You have to admit that gloss colored full wraps are still a minority.

Poodles;1896833 said:
What to know the difference between a crap paint job and a good one? Everyone says prep work, but you can spraybomb a car and then go back and wetsand and polish it and it will look fantastic. That's something you can't do with pastidip.

Correction, a "hater" is a simple term used to try and discredit someone that doesn't like what you like.

how is it that you equate "flat" or "satin" with "crap"? Yes, you can even make household paint look good with enough labor (read-LOTs!) but then you still have to put in a MASSIVE amount of work. Crap prep on any paint job, and no amount of wetsanding/polishing/surface work is going to fix adhesion issues, runny paint, keyholes, dust contamination, and etc.

Plasti-dipping your car isn't an ALTERNATIVE to having a car painted (properly), it's an option to having a car sprayed with shit like maaco if your paint is failing, and an alternative to vinyl if you want a color change that you may not want to invest a large amount of money into.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
I agree with PureDrifter..... PlastiDip is a great alternative to "Maco and all the Maco's of the world who do a terrible paint Job"...... I think its clear (No Pun) that PlastiDip will come off 10X more easy than any paint job/paint job that goes wrong or you just simply arent happy with the color...

A while back I had some shop paint my nose panel and guess what, 3 months later it was cracking and pealing off...... $300 bucks down the drain for a simple nose panel.... My alternative was PlastiDip.... So I did it........ Its been over a year and its still on the car with no signs of it coming off.... I have used PlastiDip on emblems before in the stuff is really easy to spray especially if you have some experience using spray cans.....

Personally as in my opinion..... I love the look of it... If done right PlastiDip will not look like orange peel but it will be smooth like a rubber wrap around the car and in my opinion I think it looks amazing...... Yes it will get alot of haters (not anyone here in particular) but out on the streets...... Still I believe there is a big diference from paiting a car with duplicolor cans and painting it right..The same is for PlastiDip, you can use the cans and have a bad finish or you can a get like the one dyc sells and do it right.

Okay..... I been debating this with myself since yesterday..... Do I do it for the sake of this thread.... I am honestly leaning towards yes.... I would love to see my car in flat red and no, not flat red paint or red glossy like the rest of the Sups out there..... I mean PlastiDip flat red....... But for me its not soo much the I want my car to be "badass" kind of deal its more of I think it must be soo much freaking fun to do it lol..... I literally just want to do it.... So what ya think PureDrifter? Do I pull the trigger? Red or White? I would love to do with those colors and post pictures....

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Sside;1896947 said:
I agree with PureDrifter..... PlastiDip is a great alternative to "Maco and all the Maco's of the world who do a terrible paint Job"...... I think its clear (No Pun) that PlastiDip will come off 10X more easy than any paint job/paint job that goes wrong or you just simply arent happy with the color...

A while back I had some shop paint my nose panel and guess what, 3 months later it was cracking and pealing off...... $300 bucks down the drain for a simple nose panel.... My alternative was PlastiDip.... So I did it........ Its been over a year and its still on the car with no signs of it coming off.... I have used PlastiDip on emblems before in the stuff is really easy to spray especially if you have some experience using spray cans.....

Personally as in my opinion..... I love the look of it... If done right PlastiDip will not look like orange peel but it will be smooth like a rubber wrap around the car and in my opinion I think it looks amazing...... Yes it will get alot of haters (not anyone here in particular) but out on the streets...... Still I believe there is a big diference from paiting a car with duplicolor cans and painting it right..The same is for PlastiDip, you can use the cans and have a bad finish or you can a get like the one dyc sells and do it right.

Okay..... I been debating this with myself since yesterday..... Do I do it for the sake of this thread.... I am honestly leaning towards yes.... I would love to see my car in flat red and no, not flat red paint or red glossy like the rest of the Sups out there..... I mean PlastiDip flat red....... But for me its not soo much the I want my car to be "badass" kind of deal its more of I think it must be soo much freaking fun to do it lol..... I literally just want to do it.... So what ya think PureDrifter? Do I pull the trigger? Red or White? I would love to do with those colors and post pictures....

I would go with the pure white with glossifier lol. Otherwise go nuts with it and get one of the Blaze colors (blaze orange mkiii?).
Or join the DYC forum and look at their custom color lists.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
PureDrifter;1896977 said:
I would go with the pure white with glossifier lol. Otherwise go nuts with it and get one of the Blaze colors (blaze orange mkiii?).
Or join the DYC forum and look at their custom color lists.

Lol never even considered blaze orange but meh I think I better stay away from it haha.... The red I have seen from them looks kind of weak... More pink than anything... I would prob mix the black with red for a darker red, but white would also be very interesting..
This is the car and and I'm trying to go with a color that goes well with the wheels (not flat black)..... Hmmm what a dilemma you got me into with your dyc video lol.....
p1896981_1.jpg

Also, if I dip my car I better win Dip of the month in the dyc forum.... Oh I will.....