How To Plasti Dip a Supra (VIDEO)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
PureDrifter;1897019 said:
I think their red looks pretty good lol.

6951991522_708eba4f2c_c.jpg

43171d1346792903-plasti-dipping-my-car-finally-red-plasti-dip.jpeg

Ooh I had not seen those.... Those look really good, ugh..... I had settled on white but now I'm thinking red again.... Nah, white...... Has to be white...... :D White!!!......

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wish I had a picture, but I knew a guy that bought a red MKIV that looked just like that....and it was faded factory paint.

Matte paint is really overplayed (especially when BMW and other companies start doing it from the factory).

This is going to go the route of the wing thread. Does it look ok without a wing (matte/orangepealish), sure. Would it look better with a wing (awesome glossy paint), definately.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Poodles;1897093 said:
Wish I had a picture, but I knew a guy that bought a red MKIV that looked just like that....and it was faded factory paint.

Matte paint is really overplayed (especially when BMW and other companies start doing it from the factory).

This is going to go the route of the wing thread. Does it look ok without a wing (matte/orangepealish), sure. Would it look better with a wing (awesome glossy paint), definately.

I see what you are saying but its not the same..... Red faded paint does not look like red plasti dip. Maybe it looks like matte red paint but not plastidip. Its not going to look great on all cars but it works well on others.
Does this look bad? Forget what it is and how it was done. Put all buts and if's aside. Does this look good or not? Does that look like faded paint?.... Now I will admit this, those results were achieved by someone who mostlikely knows how to work with this stuff.
plasti-dip-of-the-month.jpg

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Poodles;1897093 said:

weren't you busy talking about how its so damaging or hard to remove or similar? :icon_razz

taste is taste. If it doesn't suit yours, so be it. Doesn't make it any less valid an option though.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I just started experimenting with Plastidip a couple days ago by coating the MK4 TT wheels on my SC400. Will be doing a couple looks to see how they look. So far I am very impressed with this stuff. It's extremely forgiving in application. I plan on plastidipping my Supra only because I cannot stand looking at the faded 25 year old paint with missing clearcoat. It will be a temporary fix while I save up for a $5k paintjob. If anyone has followed my build over the last couple years, you will know I do nothing half ass.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That red MkIV has a similar look to it that my faded 3E5 did when I bought the car. Almost wish I had kept it that color, but I like the flat-ish purplueblack color that it came out.

Honestly, people can do what they like with their cars. Is it going to make an already ugly looking car much worse? Probably not. Now, that said, Sside, your car looks like it has pretty nice paint. Do pictures deceive us?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
PureDrifter;1897150 said:
weren't you busy talking about how its so damaging or hard to remove or similar? :icon_razz

taste is taste. If it doesn't suit yours, so be it. Doesn't make it any less valid an option though.

What, I have to mention how it's not going to reliably peal off without damaging the paint in every post I make in this thread?

Sorry, I leave beating a dead horse to the idiots...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
te72;1897811 said:
That red MkIV has a similar look to it that my faded 3E5 did when I bought the car. Almost wish I had kept it that color, but I like the flat-ish purplueblack color that it came out.

Honestly, people can do what they like with their cars. Is it going to make an already ugly looking car much worse? Probably not. Now, that said, Sside, your car looks like it has pretty nice paint. Do pictures deceive us?

The paint on my car is fine, it does not look bad at all..... But pictures never show everything lol and it does have its scratches and dents and stuff that prob nobody notices but bother me like crazy..... In the sun it looks amazing when washed and waxed......BUT!!!!!! I cannot lie that the plastidip look is a guilty pleasure I am aching for..... Not only that but I love to paint and I would love to learn how to paint with a gun not a can..... Now I know its not gonna be anywhere near the actual painting process but I see the techniques are somewhat similar and I would love to gain experience with the motion of the gun atleast..... I dont believe the gun has pressure or volume setting either soo I wont get the benefit of actually trully setting up a gun but on the brightside I dont mess up my car's paint.... It just looks like a lot of fun to me.. Also I would love to see my car in dipped red or white..... If I do do this I promise yall one thing.... Its gonna look great and I will do it with caution and right. I wouldnt even bother if I had no intentions of trully doing this right. I may go with white...... What ya thinking te? am I gonna fail here lol?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I've seen many "plastipdip ruined my paint" threads on oh so many forums (due to plans to add plastidipping as a service for my business), but in the end, there's always an extraneous reason for whatever fault the dipper finds with his paint after the peeling. I think most people forget that you're actually supposed to use the pre-dip spray for a proper application, and the paint can't have any wax on it (something to do with wax deteriorating underneath the plastidip and festering there). I particularly remember one thread where the owner was complaining that his clearcoat became foggy after he plastidipped a freshly painted car. If anyone has ever painted a car, or had one painted, you know clearcoat can take up to weeks to cure properly. It was determined that because of him applying dip too soon, the fumes the emanate from curing clearcoat got trapped under the plastidip and ruined the clearcoat. If plastidip (by itself) really DOES damage paint, then Dipyourcar.com would not be the incredibly successful business it is.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sside;1897825 said:
I may go with white...... What ya thinking te? am I gonna fail here lol?
Not thinking you'd fail at it, just saying that if your paint is in decent to good shape, I wouldn't spend the time or money to change that. I would only consider changing the paint on a car that NEEDS it, as in it is in genuinely bad shape to begin with.

Take my Chevy for example. I picked it up for $400, have maybe $200 in materials and ppe, and have learned a few things about bodywork myself. I would suggest you go a route similar to that, rather than messing with a paint job that is still in good shape. :)

But hey... it's your car. I just see it as a good enough looking car that I wouldn't touch it personally.

lithium14;1897869 said:
If plastidip (by itself) really DOES damage paint, then Dipyourcar.com would not be the incredibly successful business it is.
Not necessarily. Smart phones damage your wallet, and kill productivity for the most part, but that industry is just BOOMING. :rofl: