How to fit a 6.5" door speaker????

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I may be able to get my hands of an old set of top-notch MB Quart 6.5" door speakers. Is that the factory size for the 91-92's? I was wondering, is the metal of the door the same, just a different speaker enclosure/grill? Any way that I could make the bigger size fit? Anyone fit a speaker bigger than 5" into the old 4" location? Any help would be rad.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
from what i understand all you have to do is get the speaker pods from a 91 or later

sorry it's not much to go on but...
ross

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
that's the easy, and probably best way. I imagine if your skilled with a saw and have some MDF lying around you could whip something up, but when I went that route i found 6.5 was just a little bit too big to mount it on one layer like in dylan's how to (he used 5" IIRC)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
For a clean install and to avoid the possible issues of clarity, I'd lean towards getting speaker pods and door panels from a '91+ donor. If I were to go the make my own route I'd rather build a FG enclosure myself versus leaving the rear open.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i made custom mounts out of an old erector set. it works like a charm.

the "speaker pods" from a '91 car are really just brackets, not so much pod-like as you'd think... i'll stick with my free erector set. ;)

-shaeff

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i got some heavy duty image dynamics 5-1/4" speakers with a large magnet and they just fit with a custom wood baffle.

if you get heavy duty 6's or 6-1/2's just be careful they may not fit, even in a set of 91+ speaker pods make sure to measure the depth it will hold and go from there.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Does the 91+ door panel offer a bit more frontal clearance? Perhaps I could space it out a bit to clear the depth of the magnet. I may me able to pick up an old set of high-end MB Quart 6.5" which are quite beefy and deep.

born2drv said:
i got some heavy duty image dynamics 5-1/4" speakers with a large magnet and they just fit with a custom wood baffle.

if you get heavy duty 6's or 6-1/2's just be careful they may not fit, even in a set of 91+ speaker pods make sure to measure the depth it will hold and go from there.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
shaeff said:
i made custom mounts out of an old erector set. it works like a charm.

the "speaker pods" from a '91 car are really just brackets, not so much pod-like as you'd think... i'll stick with my free erector set. ;)

-shaeff

LOL... I love it. I didn't know they were that different from the 4" pods. Anyone have a pic? I'd like to put some 6.5" in my car.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the '91-'92 door panels are identical to all other door panels, except that the opening for the speaker is just wider. (you can do this yourself with some metal snips of some sort.

CRE, if you look on ebay, they pop up quite often. i can't bring myself to buy them when my erector set works just fine. :) by the way, i've got 6.5" rockford fosgates mounted in my doors. :)

so, in short, i suggest:

widen the hole for the speaker to let more sound out, which would essentially make youre pre '91 door panels identical to the '91-92's, and

make your own mounting brackets. :)

-shaeff

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
supra90turbo said:
IMO '91-'92 speaker grilles look all wrong...
The earlier grilles flow better with the cars interior.

yeah they do look like a bit of an after thought, but hey form follows function right? :icon_bigg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Thanks for the info. Which model are your Rockford speakers? Just wondering about the depth which will probably be the issue with a pair of MB Quarts.

shaeff said:
the '91-'92 door panels are identical to all other door panels, except that the opening for the speaker is just wider. (you can do this yourself with some metal snips of some sort.

CRE, if you look on ebay, they pop up quite often. i can't bring myself to buy them when my erector set works just fine. :) by the way, i've got 6.5" rockford fosgates mounted in my doors. :)

so, in short, i suggest:

widen the hole for the speaker to let more sound out, which would essentially make youre pre '91 door panels identical to the '91-92's, and

make your own mounting brackets. :)

-shaeff

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
a little crude i know, but this is a bit of today's handywork:

i've still got to make a metal support bracket where I chopped the door panel, I think that's one reason it sounds just a little bit funky (not to mention the fact It's not enclosed). That and it's a cheapo Xplod, so I didn't expect magic. I can turn my stereo up a good 25% higher now without running into major distortion....now my system is composed of 2 6.5's and a head unit instead of just 2 4's LOL!

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
The only thing I don't like about the 6.5's in the doors on the pre91s is that I think it muddies the treble. I would like to stick a flush mount tweet just above the speaker.

The tweet on the 6.5 is covered up by the metal door. I might take a dremel to the metal around the door panel tomorrow. maybe. or I'll just drink beer all day.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I did Dylans mod last week and put some stock Nissan 6'' (IIRC) up there. Just cause i had them, blown to shit stockers, and some let over MDF.

I didnt have to cut any metal, just wood. The sound isnt awesome, but its good enough.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
seriously go with the stock 6.5 inch speaker pods if you can find them. i got mine from lenny (thanks again)! and they are great. i havent installed them yet, but they fit 6.5 inch speakers and tweater, so you can use component speakers instead of two way speakers which sound aweeeeesome.

cant wait to get my car running again with these.

ericshere03

Apr 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
lagged said:
<---91-92 speaker pods on the way

If possible could you take a few pics of the soeaker pods, i have a pair but am very curious as they dont have any backing! so i assume all the sound will fill the door, not the cabin and also water will easilt be able to get into the back of the speaker, how did toyota fit these? did they put plactic on the cavk or am i missing a piece? i was thinking of using dynamat and stick it to the back to insulate and keep water off.