How to fit a 6.5" door speaker????

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
What is the max depth of speaker you can have in the pre-91 doors (haven't taken mine off to measure yet)?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
i got 6x9 sony speakers on my doors. used the door pull handle space to mount the speakers. relocated the window controls down and out of sight. it doesnt look that amazing, but i like it enough.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
iwannadie said:
i got 6x9 sony speakers on my doors. used the door pull handle space to mount the speakers. relocated the window controls down and out of sight. it doesnt look that amazing, but i like it enough.

:ttiwwp:

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I fit a set of 6.5 mids in my 88 doors years ago w/o the toyota pods. here is how i did it (in a nutshell):
1. measured distance between door and door pannel with speaker out.
2. cut a backing plate from 1/2 ply.
3. cut hole for speaker.
4. drilled holes in backing plate to fit toyota holes in door (from stock speaker pod)
5. mounted plate and speaker (no fit :3d_frown: )
6. cut spacers to fit between door and plate (between .5" and .75")
7. check speaker fit (fits - magnet clears door and big hole in door)
8. check door panel fit (no go :runaway: )
9. trim backing plate where it touches door pannel
10. re-fit door pannel (it fits, whoopee)
11. turn on stereo. sounds shitty :rant2: ....why?
12. take door panel back off, seal the air gap between backing plate and door with wall foam. trim as needed.
13. reassemble.
14. turn on stereo. fuckin rocks!!!

notes: this is a 6.5" CDT 2 way comp sys. I have the tweeters mounted in the kick pannels. It sounded like crap (before the foam) because the speakers were firing free air, and there was too much turbulence around the cone. by sealing around the plate with foam, the whole door becomes a figurtive box (we all know how boxes effect cone excursion and control movement) and cleans up the sound significantly. before anyone rags on me about using 1/2" plywood for a speaker mount, it was all that i had (1) and it has two layers of fiber glass on both sides to stiffen the wood and help dampen plywoods high resonent freq...believe me, it made quite the difference.