how much psi can be put in the 7mgte with the stock 440cc injectors?

XxXCHUMP21XxX

Mar 5, 2011
New Windsor
Just wondering if anyone knows how much psi i can put in before the head warps after a few thousand miles or it becomes inefficient for power on the stock 440cc injectors and fuel delivery system. (The block will be all forged internals and the head will have titanium valves FYI)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
lol, you have some reading to do. the answer to your question could potentially be several pages long.

if you are going through the expense and trouble of "all forged internals and the head will have titanium valves", is$450 worth of injectors going to break the bank? Or could you just be a dreamer wasting our time?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd say a better question would be "How do I get XXXrwhp from my 7M-GTE"

Set a goal and then start gathering information to try to achieve that goal. It's a much better plan than just cranking up the boost with stock stuff and wondering why it blew up. Also, don't feel singled out, this question comes up a lot and we typically try to give a similar answer to everyone.

XxXCHUMP21XxX

Mar 5, 2011
New Windsor
adampecush;1741967 said:
lol, you have some reading to do. the answer to your question could potentially be several pages long.

if you are going through the expense and trouble of "all forged internals and the head will have titanium valves", is$450 worth of injectors going to break the bank? Or could you just be a dreamer wasting our time?

I can assure you I am no dreamer because once I got my eyes set on something I do it, it might take a while to get the money I need but I'll do it. As for my engine, I want my engine near bullet proof which is why I'm looking to go with full forged internals in the block so I can do what i please with it and not worry as much. I'm asking this question because if I DONT need extra mods to support the boost like the fuel (bigger injectors), fuel pressure regulator system, the lexus Afm, etc, I'll know I don't have to spend another $1,000+. but If i have to I will.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
What is your horsepower goal? And Why do you figure $1000+ on for Lexus AFM, injectors, FPR system? I found a Lexus AFM with electronics for 30, Evo 560cc injectors for 50, that is almost half the battle for less than 100 bucks? Just look around and you will find what you need affordable if you look and have patience.. I've read this forum for about 3 weeks straight now and I've seen people post that the 7M internals can survive upwards of 500+ HP and I don't know how true it is but I've seen one or two posts of someone running over 1000HP with stock internals. I would start at the fuel portion first because proper fuel delivery is one of the things that prevents your internals from becoming airborne...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
NoLimitslja;1742398 said:
What is your horsepower goal? And Why do you figure $1000+ on for Lexus AFM, injectors, FPR system? I found a Lexus AFM with electronics for 30, Evo 560cc injectors for 50, that is almost half the battle for less than 100 bucks? Just look around and you will find what you need affordable if you look and have patience.. I've read this forum for about 3 weeks straight now and I've seen people post that the 7M internals can survive upwards of 500+ HP and I don't know how true it is but I've seen one or two posts of someone running over 1000HP with stock internals. I would start at the fuel portion first because proper fuel delivery is one of the things that prevents your internals from becoming airborne...

I think you're mistaking 7M and JZ series engines. The record power from a stock 7M block was done by Xman with a brand new factory block, and it was 750hp. Duane and Mibrum are the highest HP 7M's, but they are both fully built.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
OP: Do you know why you want TI valves? Do you know what copper beryllium is? Do you know what the stock pistons are made of? Anyone that is building a motor and uses the term "How much psi" scares me. :aigo:

You have to walk before you can run and I have a feeling you're planning to sprint a marathon before you've taken your first step...

There's a ton of great info here and you've got all you need to make the car of your dreams. Dont get ahead of yourself.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just reading this.. and I dont think you can safely get over 10 psi (maybe 11 psi) out of a stock 7MGTE without hitting fuel cut (and I think thats with shimming the wastegate).
*** NOTE: the above is what I gather from reading other posts.. dont know if its true or not)

I have wanted to bump my turbo up to 9-10 psi (anything over at my altitude will require the Lexus AFM) to run like that until I get the fuel system upgraded. Thought all I needed was a manual boost controller to attain that (dont know if I actually have to do anything with the waste gate as well).

So.. after typing the above and reading this area.. I bet there are quite a few people (turbo noobs like me) that wonder about that. My engine is strong (19k on the rebuild) but running stock boost. Would be nice to creep it up a little bit until I have everything prepped for shooting for the 350-400 HP mark.

momoney88

Sep 7, 2009
Florida
I'm putting down 17 with many mods according to my boost gauge. I did have my 440's cleaned and flow tested first though. Followed the John B Lunsford school of mods with great success thus far. Gotta get to the track one day soon to see I have any driving skills now- LOL.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
80% of 440 is 330. 1hp for 1cc. Well its 350 actually but better safe than sorry.

Lots of people run theres higher. But you really shouldnt esp with 20 year old injectors.

momoney88

Sep 7, 2009
Florida
Thx, I like easy math. Looks like I need to switch to 550's if I want to "safely" reach my goal of 450 RWHP. Almost there...gotta upgrade the brakes first though. The CT26 upgrade to a 60 trim I just did pulls like a mutha though :)
Who needs cowbell when there's HP- it is addicting for sure.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
toyotanos;1742411 said:
I think you're mistaking 7M and JZ series engines. The record power from a stock 7M block was done by Xman with a brand new factory block, and it was 750hp. Duane and Mibrum are the highest HP 7M's, but they are both fully built.

I went back and misread the post, that was speaking in terms of the 7M motor compared to the 1j or 2j, not being stock just the motor and whether it's good or not, so that's my fault but, you can safely on a good tune run upwards of 500+ on stock internals, correct??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya needs to be a good tune.

Be much smarter at that power level to just spend 700$ on some forged pistons tho. Stock rods can handle that no problem.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I had more $ in my 7M than most Mk3 owners and never considered it "bulletproof" :nono:

It was a great engine that survived many many hours on the Dyno a lot of KM's but it was still a 7M with it's known issues so there was a question mark.

Having said that "psi" = fail, the question should have been how much air can I pump through the engine with 440's as different Turbo's are going to flow a different Mass at the same boost.

As Hvy posted 330 would be "safe" if you bump base fuel pressure you might squeeze 400 out of them but you'll need a fresh pump and some way to pull fuel for the rest of the fuel table or it's going to be rich everywhere but top end.

A smarter move would be to drop the coin for a quality brand name set of Injectors as NOTHING kills a Turbo engine faster than an injector laying down during a power run.