How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It always bothered me that the BOV is open at idle/low throttle/decel, and I figured it might be sucking in some dirt, so I picked up an oiled foam UNI Filter air filter and put it on there. Makes me feel better knowing a stray pebble can't find it's way into the BOV too.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Dec 31, 2010
IL
destrux;1867153 said:
It always bothered me that the BOV is open at idle/low throttle/decel, and I figured it might be sucking in some dirt, so I picked up an oiled foam UNI Filter air filter and put it on there. Makes me feel better knowing a stray pebble can't find it's way into the BOV too.

Get a stronger spring dude. This is the first time I've ever heard of this, let alone seen it. That pebble theory made me think twice though! But the intercooler would catch any rocks as mine is on the hot side.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1867219 said:
But what about the pretty sound it makes? How are you going to here it?
I've got an HKS SSQV. I hated the noise. Way too much attention, every time starting off from a light. People thought that I was trying to race or something even if shifting at 2500 RPM. (Much louder when I was putting the boots to it, of course, but if all you heard was at lower throttle, then that's what you heard.)

I was very happy that the recirculation fitting got rid of the noise, enough so that I used the fitting for months before I got the recirculation actually plumbed in to the intake. I'd much rather that people think that I'm trying to race when they see that my tail lights are a lot further off than they expected them to be, and not from a noise that makes it seem like some rice-boy who thinks that his 90 BHP grocery-getter is a race car because it's noisy.

I guess that means that my recirculated fitting is filtered, but I don't think that the SSQV is supposed to be open at idle. (Shouldn't make a difference anyway, considering that the ISCV takes its air from before the turbo anyway, and the throttle body is closed at idle. If anything even the idling turbo would be pushing air out of the valve.

Dec 31, 2010
IL
IJ.;1867311 said:
Sometimes shit "fails" and all of the "it shouldn't suck stuff in" won't save the engine from FoD...

icpipes10.jpg

I am now officially scared! By the way, I haven't heard FOD in a long time, are you an Aircraft Mechanic by any chance!?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IJ.;1867311 said:
Sometimes shit "fails" and all of the "it shouldn't suck stuff in" won't save the engine from FoD...

icpipes10.jpg

There is generally always pressure in the pipes. I know why you did that to yours since they were mounted pretty low, plus you wanted to shut them up :)

Turbo Habanero;1867319 said:
Tial,precision and synapse stay open until a certain pressure is reached to minimize compressor surge.

- Tial doesn't (or shouldn't)
- Precision I dunno about.
- Synapse will if it's not correctly adjusted.