how is everyone??

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
me neither but on alot of newer cars there are braces crossing the upper strut mounts, and there again 40 yrs ago the only cars that had sway bars on them where from europe.

Last edited:

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
IJ.;1190192 said:
Double A Arm suspension NOT McDoodlewobbly Strut.....

in that case y do we have sway bars on our cars??? they essencly do the same thing, so if upper strut bars do nothing then sway bars would do nothing.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
IJ.;1190192 said:
McDoodlewobbly Strut

what a great word... is that the same thing as a double wishbone? and i though our suspensions were, and i use this word carefully, "similar" to a double wishbone?

EDIT: like i said im not trying to argue... im just trying to gain knowledge

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Shen: Our cars ARE double a-arm/wishbone, STB's are appliciable to McPherson Strut suspension where the towers are load bearing in cornering, ourws aren't all they do is support the spring loads nothing to do with cornering.

If you look at most STB's they're designed to be easily unbolted and this is their downfall as a brace as they act as a big ass hinge at the single bolting point.

Think of a cardboard box, unfold the ends so it's a tube then grip diagonal corners and flex it side to side, this is all your STB could possibly do as installed.

Fold the ends back over and repeat, it's pretty strong this way and this is what an STB is missing to be effective as the engine is in the way.

Run a couple of diagonals back to the firewall and continue them into the dash support brace and it might just do something.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
IJ.;1190229 said:
Shen: No probs I'm NOT trying to start shit it's just basic engineering.

Think of the force vectors and how you need to design something to counteract them.

I know I have done some more reading. :icon_bigg Being a good boy over on this end of the pond.

And I have been doing some more work on my supra.:evil2:

-Sean

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
IJ.;1190229 said:
Shen: No probs I'm NOT trying to start shit it's just basic engineering.

Think of the force vectors and how you need to design something to counteract them.

i know your not trying to start anything... this is why your a supermod, you know your shit. thats what this place is for, to learn from others. plus i know im young and i can say i know a fair amount but to the large world that is cars... i know only a little of that world, which is why i love to learn about it all.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dunckel;1190232 said:
:kloguck:
I can be a total and utter knob at times but this wasn't one of em :icon_razz

funky_monkey58;1190233 said:
I know I have done some more reading. :icon_bigg Being a good boy over on this end of the pond.

And I have been doing some more work on my supra.:evil2:

-Sean

Reading is good :D

It's also a good idea to study what the GroupA guys did back in the day as much of it applies to our cars today.
(never saw a GrpA with an STB)

shenronzero;1190237 said:
i know your not trying to start anything... this is why your a supermod, you know your shit. thats what this place is for, to learn from others. plus i know im young and i can say i know a fair amount but to the large world that is cars... i know only a little of that world, which is why i love to learn about it all.
Just trying to help stamp out more SupraMyths ;)

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
well thanks for a of ur replies, btw the dubble wishbone on our cars take up most of the flex so the the strut bar is really unessasary

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
toy fanatic78;1194907 said:
Why bother with handling,you have 800 lbs. of stereo equipment in your hatch.

just to get your facts closer together its closer to 200 ;), and the majority of that wieght is centered in the car, so the car really cant tell the difference, and for that matter the stuff that is actually in the hatch area is about the same weight as a spare tire and cover with carpet. and why should i care about how my car handles or steers? what make my car different from anyone else? i care about the driveability of my car just as much if not more than other people... oh and i get over 300 mile to my tank ;) even with all that extra equeipment