how do you supra guys feel about UNIVERSAL 5 lug rims over normal 5 lugs???

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1 wheel failure at speed where you get overtaken by your own wheel just before the car lands on the disc will cure you from ever using "cheap/weak" wheels for life.... trust me on this one

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
IJ.;1550721 said:
1 wheel failure at speed where you get overtaken by your own wheel just before the car lands on the disc will cure you from ever using "cheap/weak" wheels for life.... trust me on this one

...and if your needs include the wheel staying on the car, a real wheel will meet that criteria.

:aigo: Holy crap, IJ, I've never heard of that! Well, it's not like I've seen much anyways.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Looks and performance are 2 different choices for opinion. To me the stockers are absolutly hidious, anything is better. Feels like I should have a mullet while driving. But that's my opinion. For performance there comes a price. Some nice wheels are cheap but then you sacrifice performance (or safty) for the most part. I have only heard of 1 or 2 wheels coming apart. It's your car and money. I'm sure if we all could afford a $4000.00 set of wheels we would have them. As for the op. I think it all depends on the wheels. Some look bettEr than others.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Universals with the full cover center can look ok. But I don't like center caps that must be removed to take the wheel off. Its another part that can get lost, fall off, or get stolen. I would rock saws before the 4/5 lug wheels....

Stick with perfect fitment 5 lug.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
the t3d;1550760 said:

Form should follow function meaning "looks" are 2nd when buying a wheel....

Universal's Swiss cheese the most highly loaded part of the wheel, for the reason I posted earlier I wouldn't even consider them no matter how good they looked.

Sadly this isn't always the case in this community and so often things are done/purchased on looks alone even under hood components.... :nono:

I have similar feelings/thoughts on wheel spacers as they're seldom done correctly and are often used to correct for the wrong choice in wheels...

1500+ Kg car with usually at least 300rwhp and a suspension design that can generate considerable G loads is no place to cheap out on wheels/fitment.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ONLY because they're 10 spoke wheels. Another example of stuff like this is the lightening holes aroudn the rim like on Duane's wheels. So people like em, some people don't.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I've always believed that one should just buy the right part, not a "universal fit" or what have you. Sure, universal wheels do the job, but our lug pattern isn't exactly uncommon. I also wouldn't want to bet my life to them with 285+ wide rubber loading them up, for the reasons IJ stated earlier. Bigger tires means more grip, means more load, means more force applied to everything before the car slides.

I'd rather have a 25lb wheel I know could take anything I can throw at it, than a 18lb wheel that I'd ever contemplate the strength of.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Other than I.J how many of you have actually seen a wheel come apart. I haven't except at the drag strip twice, or don't even know anyone who has. I personally am not a fan of universal. I wouldn't buy them. though some look good. Are they safer or not? Probably not AS safe. But I assure you that there are cars putting down alot more than the majority 300-350 around here. And there not breaking them left and right. I am not saying that they will not break but it is highly unlikely.