how do you identify a 7MGTE?

peytoncoyote

Aug 5, 2012
Lemoore, CA
Hey ya'll, I am new to the supra's and 7M series, I was wondering how do you know if its a 7MGTE or a 7MGE, the reason I ask is because I am looking at buying a 7MGTE but I don't know what to look for. The block is bare with out pistons in them and the head still has both cams and cam gears. Please help if you can and any other info for a swap into a 87 supra please let me know I would like to find out all I can about these beautiful cars.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
is there a cps or distrubtor? cps= 7mgte and distributor=7mge
or look at the intake. staight= 7mgte and y shape=7mge
there should be a cam cover as well that would say 7mge or 7mgte

these are just some, just look at google and do 2 searches. one for each motor

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Unless you're getting it rediculously cheap, or it's been recently rebuilt, go for a complete engine. By the time you finish buying parts and assembled it all, you would have spent way more than buying a complete engine and rebuilding that (especially doing a headgasket job on it).

The only difference between a GE and a GTE are oil squirters in the GTE (early JDM GTE's didn't even have them), and if you run forged pistons, you won't even need them. One cam is different (intake I believe) but it's not a giant difference. Also ports for the turbo oil drain are present but you can always install them on a 7MGE.

Otherwise they're the same head, same block, same crank, etc etc.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
peytoncoyote;1878397 said:
Hey ya'll, I am new to the supra's and 7M series, I was wondering how do you know if its a 7MGTE or a 7MGE, the reason I ask is because I am looking at buying a 7MGTE but I don't know what to look for. The block is bare with out pistons in them and the head still has both cams and cam gears. Please help if you can and any other info for a swap into a 87 supra please let me know I would like to find out all I can about these beautiful cars.

Like already stated:
oil squirters
turbo feed/drain holes on exhaust side of engine
empty wallet
if the assembly comes with a (what i call) a coolant neck...thermostat goes inside...there will be a turbo coolant fittings attached