How do 4" sound?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Sounds good!! The whole rear fill thing only includes rear SPEAKERS; while a subwoofer is technically a speakers, it's not included in the "rear-fill" category. Set up correctly, a subwoofer will blend in with your components PERFECTLY, making it seem as if there really is no sub, just perfect bass :)

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Damn, annoyingrob, it seriously sounds like you know your stuff.
I don't wanna make a new thread about it so can I just hijack this real quick-sorry to the parent.

Annoyingrob, I think I want to get these speakers, in your opinion will they sound decent? I want them because of the 4 separate speaker-thingys [insert correct audiophilic word here] so I figured I'd get better separation/less distortion at higher volumes. Look decent?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1134701341854

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chad, the whole "4-way" setup is nothing more then a marketing ploy. Interestingly enough, the more drivers you have, the worse it sounds, as more drivers create more sources of sound, which can cancel each other out, etc. I'm not sure how much post-secondary physics you've taken, but let's just say that if you have 4 tweeters playing the same thing, mounted in (slightly) different locations, you're going to get some messed up cancellation issues. The "4-way" drivers will actually create a much worse sound stage, and sound like poo.

A GOOD setup will use as few speakers as possible to cover the whole frequency range. A good subwoofer covering 20-80hz, and a good midrange/tweeter combo covering 80-20,000hz. The midrange and tweeter should be placed as close together as possible to help create a proper soundstage. (if they're separate, your mind can think the sound is coming from 2 different locations, which is bad in this case)

I would run away from Sony, Audiobahn, or anything of the like. It's all "flashy" garbage. I would look at either a coaxial, or component set from a reputable company like Infinity, CDT, hell even the Alpine type R components are half-decent. Look to spend around $100 for a pair of speakers. If you can't decide, I would check out some car audio forums www.caraudioforum.com www.caraudio.com etc, and see what people tend to think are a good bang for the buck.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
After selling car audio for half a decade and hearing most speakers out there, here's my opinion. The BEST, clearest and most transparent sounding speakers are made of paper pulp with either soft dome or titanium tweeters. Most plastic woofers and tweeters sound dull because of their weight and pliability.

Best sounding in order of preference (4 to 6.5")
OLD MB quarts (early 90's)
Focal
High-end alpine (SPX series)
Infinity
Old high-end clarion
JL audio (barely makes this list)

Garbage speakers:
99% of Sony speakers have always sucked
Kenwood
No-name or unrecognizable name brands

Best Cheap to mid priced brands:
Alpine
Pioneer

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Annoyingrob, TearlessJ, Tekdeus, T.T.L,
Thanks guys. I really am clueless in this area ;) I thought more sound separation would be better. Just goes to show you... And no, Rob, no post-secondary physics, I'm still just in HS, in our skim-the-surface-of-everything physics.

So because I am still on a budget, and most of the difference in sound I hear will most likely be placebo thanks to the list of good and bad, I'm prolly going with a Pioneer, Alpine, or Infinit setup. I can't afford the upper-end models of any of them though :(

Thanks guys!

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Your welcome Chad, that's what we're here for :)

I'll tell ya that for the money, the Infinity Reference components REALLY do sound good. My mom has them in her Neon (powered by just the head unit) and they sound pretty fuggin good for $150 components with 5x7 rear fills.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Your welcome Chad, that's what we're here for :)

I'll tell ya that for the money, the Infinity Reference components REALLY do sound good. My mom has them in her Neon (powered by just the head unit) and they sound pretty fuggin good for $150 components with 5x7 rear fills.
Yeah, thats what I'd love, but I'm not sure if I wanna spend that much on speakers right now, its about twice what I was looking for. But maybe...we'll see ;)

Anyone know anything about Clarion for car audio? Crap/Decent/Good?

Oh, yeah, and if my HU running a built-in MOSFET amp is putting out around 45W/ch max & 18~22W/ch RMS will a speaker that does about 160-180W max and 50-60W RMS be too much for it to push? Or will that be fine?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
using your headunit to push (almost) ANY aftermarket speaker will be fine. They won't sound top notch because they aren't getting anywhere near as much power as they need, but they will be ok.

As far as clarion :runaway:

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Jonathan-Lookin for 6.5", but thanks.
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
As far as clarion :runaway:
Thought that might be....lol. Thanks again. So I'm totalling up xmas money-I think I will get the Infiniti Ref's after all, they're on sale for 100, so I have plenty extra to spend on it. lol.
K, I'll quit hijacking this thread now.... :biglaugh: