How do 4" sound?

Tearlessj

Oct 17, 2006
TN
I want a good sounding set-up. I was going to go 5.25 components, but Im not sure if those will fit up front. I noticed alot of people are running 4" in the front that fit rite in. How do they sound? Should i go ahead and find a 5.25?

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I have some 4" speakers and they are pretty crisp but not very loud at all. They seems more like big tweeters to me.

I would put the bigger ones in like these guys suggest.

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
It totally depends upon your setup as a whole. If you are not able to filter out low range thru them they will most likely sound distorted and like crap. I personally think with a good EQ and amp setup you can make them sound great and really clear. You usually get what you pay for and a lot of the higher end stuff will perform better.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I have upgraded stuff in my 87 (dont remember exactly what they were) and they dont hold a candle to my 91 stereo.. and everything is stock on it (headunit to speakers)! Deff get the 91+ pods!

edit: at first i thought you ment 4" exhaust at thread title.. but those sound good too!!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
How do 4" sound?.............................

Sounds like the doctor cut you a little too close to the belly...............:biglaugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I've got my flame suit on so bring it...........lol

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
My speakers were blown so I got four 4" Pioneer cheap speakers from shady wholesale dealers in downtown LA. They work well enough but you can tell the sound is lacking. I've got the pioneers up front and in the hatch but the two 3.5" open air speakers in the rear seats are still there. I couldn't find a good replacement for those since they were not enclosed.

basically, 4" sounds good enough but it is not great, in fact, maybe its not good.

Tearlessj

Oct 17, 2006
TN
I cant find any. If anyone would like to help me out, thatd be great. So I can hurry and get my interior together.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would suggest that you make your own mount for 6.5" instead of buying the pods. If you're going for any sort of decent aftermarket speaker with any sort of depth, you're going to be hacking up the pods anyways. A piece of 1/2" MDF scrwewed onto the door in the original holes with a hole in the middle cut out is cheap and easy.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Here's a write-up for making your own plate. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11473&highlight=speaker
I'm going to do something like this but I will use separate tweeters mounted onto the kick-panel plastic parts near the feet, which will give ideal imaging for the highs. Left in the door would be muffled I think. By the way, 4" leave a lot to be desired unless you're running amps with low frequency filters and an amp and sub for bass.