How bad is brake boosting?

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
87supraturbo19;1036209 said:
I only do it every once in a great while, but do you guys ever do this? I feel like its really bad putting a load on my hg like that.

Can I play the newbie card and ask what brake boosting is?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hold the brake and rev the engine, then launch. It's extremely hard on your drivetrain and probably not good on your brakes.

I'm sure it contributed to the demise of both of my automatics.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Nocheez;1036251 said:
Hold the brake and rev the engine, then launch. It's extremely hard on your drivetrain and probably not good on your brakes.

I'm sure it contributed to the demise of both of my automatics.

BZZZ! Wrong!

Brake boosting is cruising at 60 MPH or any set speed and pressing the brake and throttle to put a load on the motor and build boost.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Zumtizzle;1036252 said:
BZZZ! Wrong!

Brake boosting is cruising at 60 MPH or any set speed and pressing the brake and throttle to put a load on the motor and build boost.

What difference does it make if you are moving or not? You're still holding the brakes while loading the engine to build power.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Nocheez;1036256 said:
What difference does it make if you are moving or not? You're still holding the brakes while loading the engine to build power.

Opps misread. I thought you said you were dumping into gear on a auto.

It's better and eazier on the brakes while moving. On the motor, no clue? I'll let someone else chime in.

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
Zumtizzle;1036258 said:
Opps misread. I thought you said you were dumping into gear on a auto.

It's better and eazier on the brakes while moving. On the motor, no clue? I'll let someone else chime in.

i would think it would be harder on the brakes if your going 60mph instead of being in a dead stop.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
626na;1036270 said:
i would think it would be harder on the brakes if your going 60mph instead of being in a dead stop.

imagine your pad holding it on one spot as opposed to the pad "sanding" at 60MPH. (thats how think of it) feel free to correct me. :)

RazoE;1036276 said:
I used to burn out in my 240sx like that (it was auto)...

can't imagine it being good for anything, but it was fun....

was it turbo? We're trying to focus on engine issues. ;)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
87supraturbo19;1036281 said:
it is good for something. you dont have any lag. press brake, build boost, say go, instant power.

its not really bad for anything except your brake pads.. its not bad for the turbo or drive train AFAIK, you're not stressing them per se anymore than normal.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I have a feeling the torque converter doesnt like it...I'm sure your trans and diff don't like it either....the motor probably could care less.....I'm sure dumping a clutch in a manual is about the same stress wise.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
From a stop its not any harder on brakes, and even while moving, if you arent holding the pedal down for prolonged periods at high speeds isnt going to be significantly harder on brakes. However I cant imagine from a stop that its particularly good on your auto transmission. Overall I dont believe brake boosting in low to mid HP situations is a horrible idea. I know several drag racers who do it over and over week in week out.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Somethings got to be dissipating that energy, and a lot of it is converted into heat which is rough on an automatic transmission. At a bare minimum you should get an extra tranny cooler.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
i was riding with gixxer750 in houston one night while we were playing with a mkiv and turbo gs300 and gixxer started brake boosting at about 65-70 and holy crap! what a great launch he got against those cars. it was fun. but probably a little hard on pads, kinda like stopping hard.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
noah89t;1036447 said:
i was riding with gixxer750 in houston one night while we were playing with a mkiv and turbo gs300 and gixxer started brake boosting at about 65-70 and holy crap! what a great launch he got against those cars. it was fun. but probably a little hard on pads, kinda like stopping hard.

:squint: hmm, brake boosting.. well at least I was under the impression it was used only by vehicles utilizing F/I. or was the bike boosted? I mean yes it has the potential to put load on anything, but I just didnt think it would make much of a difference on an N/A app.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dylan JZ;1036454 said:
:squint: hmm, brake boosting.. well at least I was under the impression it was used only by vehicles utilizing F/I. or was the bike boosted? I mean yes it has the potential to put load on anything, but I just didnt think it would make much of a difference on an N/A app.

That's his name :nono:

Brake boosting from a stop isn't going to put any wear on your pads, and not much more load on the rest of the drive train vs hammering it off of a light. The torque converter is what will take most of the abuse. Make sure you have a good transmission cooler, and/or change fluid often if you brake boost a lot.