Horsepowerfreaks out of business??

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I just found out that according to several websites that Horsepowerfreaks have gone out of business.

I ordered and paid for a new torque converter on february 13 2013. They waited until march 1st, when I contacted them asking when they were shipping it out, before they contacted me and told me that it was a special order and they needed to confirm that I really wanted it before they placed the order with Boostlogic and that the waiting time was 3 to 6 weeks. At that time they had already charged my credit card. So they charge my card , wait 3 weeks and then when I ask them when my converter is shipping out, they reply by asking me if I really want it.

Ok, so I say yes I want what I bought and paid for. Then they tell me it'll ship april 10. On April 10 I get an email saying it will ship May 1st. Then May 1st I log into HPF and they changed the shipping date to May 3rd. In May 3rd nothing has been shipped. I emailed them and no answer. And now their website is down.

So will I be able to get my money back if the converter has not been shipped?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
just got a sales email from them not long ago on the 30th actually so i don't know but I also haven't purchased anything from them in a long time

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
The minute they asked you if you really wanted it, I would have said no and called my credit card company to do a charge back. Why you allowed them to string you on is beyond me. Trust no one. It's your money you're going to lose.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Well, they said it was a special order item that was made only for me and non-returnable.

But anyways I just checked with my bank and since I used my Mastercard to pay for it they will do a refund. It applies to special order items that are prepaid and the company going bust. That qualifies for a refund.

So I guess I'm ok.

I'm just puzzled by thé fact that they send out special deals one or two days before going bust. And also changing the shipping date on May 2nd to May 3rd and the go bust one day later.

I have emailed Boostlogic to ask where my converter is and if I can buy it from straight from them. I actually don't even know if the converter was actually shipped out on the 3rd. As I understood HPF it was going to be dropshipped directly from Boostlogic to me.

Since their website is down and no emails are replied to I have no way of figuring out if the converter was actually sent or not.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
1. Glad you got a refund / charge back. No company should wait for you to contact them to make sure you want it and then ask you again if you want it later on down the line.

2. If it's a Boost Logic product, why not order it direct from them here in Austin? They have a MUCH better service history than HPF ever did.

3. Regardless if its special order or not, you shouldn't be treated like that. When I worked for MVP, if a special order came in, I was on the phone 5 minutes later talking to whoever ordered it and advising them of how the process would work. What they did is unacceptable.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Funny thing is that I just contacted Boostlogic to ask if they had shipped the converter to HPF or to me or if I could just buy it from them if they had already built it and they told me that they never received an order from HPF and that they needed a core, which HPF never asked me for, before they could start building it.

So in essence HPF took my money in february and never ordered anything from Boostlogic, and simply lied to me for 3 months.

This is what they told me in april:

Thanks Kristian! We've just received an update from Boost Logic and we're expecting to receive the Torque Converter the end of the month for you. We'll keep you updated with any changes that occur and will provide you with a tracking # as soon as your order ships out.

And I got this from Russ Oldfield when I first asked where my converter was:

Kristian,

The torque converter you ordered is a special order item and takes 3-6 weeks to build. And it is usually matched to boost logic’s built auto transmission. But I can sell it to you buy itself if you like I just need you to ok the build time and be aware that once the order is placed its not cancelable or returnable.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
The above email from Russ was a reply to me asking for a tracking number.

I then replied this:

I have trouble understanding how I can order and pay for something on your website and then when I can’t understand where my stuff is and contact you, you tell me that you just need my confirmation that I actually want the part I have ordered and paid for. If I hadn’t contacted you, at what point would you have contacted me to ask if I really wanted what I had ordered and paid for?

Then Russ replied:

Kristian,

I do apologize for the miscommunication, they typical procedure when something like this happens is to contact you within 24-48 hours, however we are extremely short staffed at the moment which is why it took so long to get in contact with you, I was actually going to be contacting you on Friday had you not emailed in. once again I do apologize for the delay and lack of communication. If there is anything I can do to further assist you please let me know.

And then they screewed me over for two more months...