Hole for fuel pump

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
I am wanting to cut a hole over the fuel pump for later change out of pumps or to fix if necessary. Don't won't to drop the tank again. Has anyone tried this yet? Did a search but didn't find anything related.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Forgot to mention that I am installing dual pumps and will be replacing the long tubes with Earl fittings.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, you'll need a pretty big hole to put two fuel pumps in, and from experience, the floor is pretty thick. Might suggest a torch... but do realize that you'd be a fool to try cutting a hole above the tank without dropping it first, right?

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Thanks for trying to call me a fool but the tank is already dropped. Back to the question. Is there anyone who has done this or know of any issues with doing it ??

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Guess I wasn't clear enough. Sorry. The tank is out and I am already installing the pumps. While I have the tank out I thought it would be a good idea to cut the hole for future access to the pumps if necessary. I could use a thick rubber gasket and screw a plate over it to seal it up. Yes the hole would be almost six inches in diameter but is that a problem? It would be easy to do just don't know if there is a reason I shouldn't. Also the long main and return tubes would be replaced with Earl fittings so the pumps should come out into the trunk easily.

Thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Floor is the same .9mm sheetmetal as most of the body work, if you're good with a hammer and dolly you could cut your hole then hammer in a flat area that could seal a sheet cover using a rubber gasket, I'd use NutSerts if you plan on accessing it as sheetmetal screws can/will strip out in time/use.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Randy87T;1787129 said:
That's the kind of info I am looking for.
Thanks

Very welcome! might want to lighten up a bit Randy, I don't think Brad was calling you stupid or even implying it but we do have members that would have attacked it with a hole saw ending in a ball of fire so in a way he was just looking out in case... ;)

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
I realize that it isn't a Supra but I did the trap door routine on an S10 Blazer. Using a "lifetime warranty" fuel pump from AutoZone, I got tired of dropping the tank each year to replace the pump. Now it only takes 20 minutes. I used an over sized patch panel that I cut from a wrecked Blazer so it would matche the ribs in the floor, sealed it with RTV and attached it with sheet metal screws. You would never know there was an access panel unless you lifted up the carpet.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
IJ.;1787156 said:
Very welcome! might want to lighten up a bit Randy, I don't think Brad was calling you stupid or even implying it but we do have members that would have attacked it with a hole saw ending in a ball of fire so in a way he was just looking out in case... ;)

Sorry but thought I was light in comparison to the word "fool" but now glad that he wasn't really implying anything negative. I have been on and off the forums since supra.com (probably more "lurking" and learning) and seems like there's always someone waiting to jump on the newb. I just thought I saw some of that from te72... but my apologies Brad !! Thanks for looking out for me. I really am a nice guy too. %^))

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
KMinAF;1787168 said:
I realize that it isn't a Supra but I did the trap door routine on an S10 Blazer. Using a "lifetime warranty" fuel pump from AutoZone, I got tired of dropping the tank each year to replace the pump. Now it only takes 20 minutes. I used an over sized patch panel that I cut from a wrecked Blazer so it would matche the ribs in the floor, sealed it with RTV and attached it with sheet metal screws. You would never know there was an access panel unless you lifted up the carpet.

That's a great idea now if I could find another supra... but there isn't one within an hours drive from here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No worries Randy, I do like to poke a bit of fun now and then at potential disaster, but I wouldn't go out of my way to suggest something that might actually hurt someone. :)

I was just under the impression that you already put the tank back up, and I've seen too many people take the "easy" way to doing custom work around here haha... I didn't know the floor was that thin, I had a hell of a time trying to drill a couple holes where water liked to collect. Ended up giving up on it, wasn't making any meaningful progress. Is the metal used on the floor and body just really hard? Perhaps I was drilling (or attempting to anyway) something harder than the body panels.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Randy87T;1787276 said:
Sorry but thought I was light in comparison to the word "fool" but now glad that he wasn't really implying anything negative. I have been on and off the forums since supra.com (probably more "lurking" and learning) and seems like there's always someone waiting to jump on the newb. I just thought I saw some of that from te72... but my apologies Brad !! Thanks for looking out for me. I really am a nice guy too. %^))

Usually if someone is highlighting stupidity it's going to be a Mod doing it ;)
(this thread has already attracted a Gumby but I'll let it go for now)

We try to keep personal attacks to a bare minimum and discourage it in general as there's usually a flow on effect that can turn the forum into one big shit fight...

te72;1787345 said:
No worries Randy, I do like to poke a bit of fun now and then at potential disaster, but I wouldn't go out of my way to suggest something that might actually hurt someone. :)

I was just under the impression that you already put the tank back up, and I've seen too many people take the "easy" way to doing custom work around here haha... I didn't know the floor was that thin, I had a hell of a time trying to drill a couple holes where water liked to collect. Ended up giving up on it, wasn't making any meaningful progress. Is the metal used on the floor and body just really hard? Perhaps I was drilling (or attempting to anyway) something harder than the body panels.

Some panels in the car are .9 High Tensile but it still drills easily, blunt drill poerhaps or gay weedy little girl arms?? ;)

ycode90

Oct 27, 2011
Pensacola
Tin-snips FTW! Every EFI car with an in-tank pump I've ever owned got an access panel. Be careful drilling your pilot hole Use a step bit 1 ring at a time so you don't go to deep. Then use snips (you wont cut anything but the sheetmetal or make any sparks). A hand brake and hammer/dolly will make it nice.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
ycode90;1787456 said:
Tin-snips FTW! Every EFI car with an in-tank pump I've ever owned got an access panel. Be careful drilling your pilot hole Use a step bit 1 ring at a time so you don't go to deep. Then use snips (you wont cut anything but the sheetmetal or make any sparks). A hand brake and hammer/dolly will make it nice.

Always more than one way to skin a cat. Creative thinking. I like it.

Did I ever tell you the story about a guy that used pvc piping for intercooler piping...

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
IJ.;1787395 said:
Usually if someone is highlighting stupidity it's going to be a Mod doing it ;)
(this thread has already attracted a Gumby but I'll let it go for now)

We try to keep personal attacks to a bare minimum and discourage it in general as there's usually a flow on effect that can turn the forum into one big shit fight...

Some panels in the car are .9 High Tensile but it still drills easily, blunt drill poerhaps or gay weedy little girl arms?? ;)

Knowing Brad pesonaly I would say little weedy arms...LOL jk

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
i was actually thinking of a access hatch for the fuel pump. once i saw how easy it was (theres a write-up) i decided not to. but that could be because i have a hoist and all the tools.