HKS 7mgte Sport Upgrade

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
So since I've been called out on this, lets see what you guys as a community come up with.

I want pictures, info, and original pricing on the HKS sport turbo upgrade that HKS used to sell for the MK3 7mgte.

Here's what I found so far:

Turbine: Garrett AiResearch T-04E
Compressor Trim: 54
Compressor A/R Ratio: 0.50
Turbine A/R Ratio: 0.63
Maximum RPM: 135,000
Maximum Pressure Ratio: 3.2
Airflow: 16.8 - 40.0 lb/min

Throw it all at me here.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What kind of info are you looking for? All I know is a couple of first hand reviews. Good power upgrade from both. One said the quality was poor.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
l_bf251e1955564adfb6ec5bfa312d00d7.jpg

l_4f1ca76671434b1e89e7d90b16fb2716.jpg

I don't have really any more info then you have. It was a nice turbo, the turbo was claimed to put down over 400lb torque at 14psi.

Heres a little info i got on the turbo
Major flow increases, efficiency increase, larger boost "sweet spot". Minimal, if any, decrease in turbo response.

Sweet spot of turbo now ~15-16 psi (CT26~8)
Maximum boost now ~20-21 psi (CT26~14)

And More info on the turbo
http://suprasonic.org/gtestory/

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
Wow, I was going to drop this, but if you want to keep it going....
I know VERY little about turbos and it took me all of about 5 min of research to figure out this wasnt a HKS turbo.
The wheel & the exhaust flange/housing are completely different, I would think a "turbo expert" could tell these differences at first glance.

And your reasoning for saying its a HKS turbo is because "I was told it was and it was attached to a HKS manifold" Sorry man, but thats just some BS. If it came from Joe Blow, yeah thats a reasonable excuse, but a "turbo expert" should have a little bit more of an opinion than that. So since I said the differences, your the one that needs some proof unless your sticking with that reason? If so I've got a box of pure gold watches I want to sell you and I'm going to start buying ebay turbos by the case, bolt them up for a min and resell them as HKS.

Thats not even my MAIN concern about the turbo, for something freshly rebuilt this has alot of play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBwEKa9tZjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxq5cymXlkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igNbO3cDXg

And yes it was like that directly from you, I said something to caleb and he said "yeah jon said thats fine"
I've bought new turbos from turbonetics and precision that had nowhere near that amount of play. Hell I've pulled 100k+ mile ct's off that didnt have that much.
Yeah technically its not touching anything, but whats going to happen when it starts spinning at 100,000+ rpms?

HKS TURBO:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SAID TO BE HKS TURBO:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The guy is trying to figure it out!! Christ :no:

On that note my old Greddy TD-06 sh20g turbo didn't say "GREDDY" rather "Mitsubishi". Let me guess it also wasn't a greddy, rather was a ebay turbo before ebay was even around??? O wait it mounted up to the OEM manifold and DP, and yet Misu make greddy's turbos, and was the only one they made for the 7m.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I had seen one on eBay once and it showed the letters

I am looking on Reg Reimers page but his pics appear to be down

The exhaust housing was a special casting as it was CT-26 manifold flange but otherwise a T3 exhaust housing

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1522931 said:
HKS_TRD;1522925 said:
The real HKS Sport turbo actually has the letter HKS cast into the turbine housing

Is that 100%?

Any pics of one?

I have yet to see a single pic of an "HKS Sport Turbo" that had this. I'm not saying it's untrue, I've just never seen it. Anyone tried to contact Reg Reimer on this? Reg would know.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I'm tryin to get the new owner of the turbo to chime in lol Because the picture i have of the turbo is on another computer and I'm not sure when i'll make it over there to up it.

Where its at its not easy to take the picture, because the wastegate arm is in the way but i'll post it up if i find the picture

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
carter;1523402 said:
Where its at its not easy to take the picture, because the wastegate arm is in the way but i'll post it up if i find the picture

So it's an obscure marking? The face looks like the turbo pictured above, correct?

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Supracentral;1523410 said:
So it's an obscure marking? The face looks like the turbo pictured above, correct?

The pictures that i've posted are a HKS Sports Turbo.
l_4f1ca76671434b1e89e7d90b16fb2716.jpg

If you could see through the compressor housing the stamp would be right there on the exhaust housing. Its not very big and truthfully i didn't notice it till my finger ran over it, but its in the casting.

edited
Ok... well i find a picture that helps out a little bit but not much. You can see the "S" but not the rest, if you can't see it, its right under the .63 and just above the compressor housing.
p1523486_1.jpg

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Turns out I asked the wrong question. Heaven forbid that AN EXPERT BE WRONG. Holy shit batman!

The HKS Sport turbo was indeed a bolt on affair. No aftermarket manifold needed. Does any body have any information about the HKS 7mgte turbo kit with short runner cast manifold?

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
The orginal HKS sport turbo that fit on the HKS short runner manifold? it was a small frame T4, 56mm T04E maybe T04B. it was a 3" inlet, 2" outlet, .68 on the back, o-trim I think. I had one years ago, the entire setup. It used the 38mm wastegate. It's almost exactly the same specs as my JT56, only my JT56 is a bolt on, and the original HKS was a T4. (on the hks short runner housing).

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
There are TWO HKS turbo upgrades for the 7m.

One is a bolt on piece with an HKS cast hot side. This is the HKS sport turbo upgrade.

The other is a T4 based turbo that was packaged with their cast manifold and wastegate. This is the HKS Full Turbo Upgrade.

There seems to be some confusion in here so I hope that clears it up.